1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Well-Known Member

A lot of people think "cool" and "trendy" are pejorative terms. Not necessarily. More people like stuff that is objectively good nowadays.

2. Bobbo316

Bobbo316 Well-Known Member

I agree with this.

Its a bit of both. "Cool" due to promotion.
    As well as aware, due to Styleforum, Twitter... etc.

3. stevent

stevent Well-Known Member

I bought my first few Aldens at 20-21, 23 now. No debt or serious obligations make it pretty easy to afford as long as you manage your finances carefully. I think if I was 30 with a kid I would definitely not be spending any money on shoes, it'd go to mortgage and kids college / vacation.

$500 is quite a bit, pretty sure none of my friends would consider spending close to that on shoes although they will easily spend that on booze in a weekend. You buy one phone over two years so cost isn't that much compared to $500 a month on shoes

4. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

I can't speak for everyone. I know, for myself, I went to an Allen Edmonds shop after seeing them on the racks at Nordstrom Rack as I was just getting into US made footwear. Walked out with a pair of shell shoes because I just fell in love with them. Starting searching for shell cordovan shoes to see what else was out there. Saw a pair of Aldens that I HAD TO HAVE because they were gorgeous. Never heard of Alden before that eBay search.

Did I get into Alden because they were cool? No. Had I ever seen or heard of Alden outside of this forum? No. Some people do buy thigs because they are precieved to be cool, but you can't cast that blanket on everyone.

You sound like a hipster where as soon as something is known to other people besides your circle of friends it automatically isn't cool anymore.

5. Bobbo316

Haha! Agreed. Its all in where your priorities lie and how much disposable income you have.

I have plenty of friends who would much rather spend 1000's of dollars driving to a rave in some crazy city.
    On the flip I have many who have way nicer wardrobes than I ever will.

6. Bobbo316

Additionally, 2 years on a phone! Oh my, I would go crazy. I have the latest and greatest every 6 months at the most.
    But thats a topic for another forum!

7. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

Only because new phones are cool right?

8. budapest12

budapest12 Well-Known Member

You are doing it wrong. Took me two years to get this patina on my iPhone 4.

2 people like this.
  9. Bobbo316

I see what you are getting at. Yes in a way.

I do use it for work as well, but I guess having things like a fingerprint scanner are not really essentials but Ill be darned if it isn't AWESOME!

10. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Well-Known Member

welp

get your models you want now before prices continue to skyrocket

11. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

It's probably forced patina anyway. You never brush, condition or polish it do you?

12. Bobbo316

This quote is the best, I almost fell out of my chair laughing.

13. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

I agree! I'm dying with my 2 year old iPhone5!

14. tigerpac

tigerpac Well-Known Member

Sigh, keeps getting more and more insane to get these shoes. While I wanted to add to the Alden collection,I got tired of waiting and am placing an order for Tricker's shell MTO.

15. budapest12

budapest12 Well-Known Member

Let's just say the creasing isn't from how my foot bends.

16. totalair1

totalair1 Well-Known Member

IMHO I think some of this splotch ing is not avoidable. While I wish it was not there....I have come to accept it going to be there on almost any darker color such as cigar and #8. I've attached a photo of my NIB cigar LWB I just got. See Ya, Steve [​IMG]

17. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

Creasing? You aren't using a phone tree??? OMG!!!

18. totalair1

totalair1 Well-Known Member

Finger print scanner is awesome until someone wants your phone and takes your finger with it to use the phone! :)

See Ya,
    Steve

19. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Well-Known Member

I guess I mean it in both ways. They may be inter-related to a degree. A large overlap between what is "cool" and what is "fashionable".

Maybe you are a hipster since you don't want to believe that Aldens have become "cool"?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.