1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bkotsko

bkotsko Well-Known Member

Check out the AE MTO program.
    the MTO fee is waived as a SF member.
    You can get any variation of shoe made.
    Awhite buck with red danite would bee pretty slick.... just saying.

1 person likes this.
  2. El Argentino

El Argentino Well-Known Member

This MTO program is good to know about. Thanks for mentioning.

3. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

It's OK. I bought a pair of Sperry bucks last year from DSW for like $50 and they have served me well. I beat the crap out of them in the summer. Not too worried about the build quality.

4. JezeC

JezeC Well-Known Member

^Mr Clemson

While the 1901s are pretty good at its price point (on sale price point ths is, $60-$70), I highly doubt you're going to enjoy wearing the 1901s. Haha, if the quality of the Kentons are not acceptable, the 1901 would be a bigger hurdle.

5. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

Summer will be over by the time he gets them, though.... haha

6. bkotsko

bkotsko Well-Known Member

7. El Argentino

El Argentino Well-Known Member

On the contrary - I've had a pair of the 1901 White Bucks for almost 5 years and they've held up great. Would not hesitate to purchase another pair if they ever gave out.

8. sacafotos

sacafotos Well-Known Member

Unless he travels south of the equator, sir.

9. Mr Clemson

Mr Clemson Well-Known Member

Haha, I hear you. I have plenty of cheap Sperrys for boat shoes over the years, and they serve their purpose for getting beat around and dirty as heck. When they get too dirty and start to smell, so what, I'm only out about $80. [​IMG]

Ha, I was thinking that, but then I saw @El Argentino 's post below. For $100 or less, I might give them a shot.

I thought about this, but I have held off because (1) I figure it would take at least a month and (2) I'll still be up around $350 I believe so for that price point I'm almost to the Aldens. Just not sure I want to spend that much on a strictly spring/summer buck. Now, if I make it a point to wear these babies a ton over the summer, then I might jump up to that level...

Thanks for chiming in - that's great to know! I certainly like that price for this sort of shoe.

10. docalden2013

docalden2013 Well-Known Member

Re the search for white suede/Nubuck bucks: I have the spiaggia from AE and the leffot white lwb, purchased just months ago. Mine didn't have the brass eyelets, which is unfortunate. I bought the spiaggias at around $200 during some sale and the sa threw in trees. Might be good to call a few local AE stores, maybe there is deadstock kicking around. Just remember that the spiaggia is a bal, not a blucher. To me, I'm not sure a casual or playful summer shoe should be a bal, even if worn with a seersucker or linen suit. Some may disagree. Also, the spiaggia is on the 5 last, which doesn't translate well to blobbier, Barrie-esque feet.

I have heard stories about jcrew shoes being constructed very poorly, but they do stand by their products, so perhaps the leeway with regard to return policies is a motivator.

Before discovering SF, I bought a pair of Bass pt bucks in white Nubuck from zappos for $90. They're sturdy enough, Arguably comparable to the AE spiaggia.

One more thought for those on the fence about white shoes for spring/summer: I'm less worried about them getting dirty than when I initially started wearing white bucks. I recently wore my spiaggias to a froend's garden party. An impromptu soccer game broke out with kids and adults and I didn't want to be the only dad on the sideline. They got trashed with dirt and kids stepping on my feet. I got out just about every scuff, grass stain and blemish by rinsing them with water and taking the Nubuck brush and white eraser to them for 10 minutes. Easy maintenance and they look new again.

I'd think about selling my 9d spiaggias for not much if anyone is interested. If not, I'll continue to play soccer in them :)

Nice posts this week. Grails from MrDV, cigars o plenty. I'm excited for my cigar grant boots to arrive on Mon. I'm wondering if my 4060s will end up in the marketplace. Are you guys keeping both the king and cigar grant boots?

1 person likes this.
  11. Mr Clemson

Well, d*mn. I sent my wife a text with pics of about 6 different white bucks from about four different brands. She has no clue about who makes which shoe or how much each costs, but her choice was the Alden x Leffot LWB. Her decision would change if she knew the cost, but I'll just keep that part quiet. [​IMG] Although she typically doesn't know the true cost of my shoes (sneaky and not good of me, I know), my approach is always to get her input and approval before I pull the trigger on a pair that costs a significant amount of cash (to me at least) like anything Alden.

12. hoit1981

hoit1981 Well-Known Member

I received my Ravello 9900's back from the Alden "Refinishing" program and I'm happy to announce I'm pleased with the results! I sent them to the factory with a detailed letter explaining that I didn't want to end up with anything close to #8, and I've been dealing directly with Arthur Tarlow who seemed very happy to help. I'm really very happy, and although there is some slight color difference, it's nowhere nearly as noticeable as before.

[​IMG]

6 people like this.
  13. green garden

green garden Well-Known Member

Quick, I need sunglasses!

14. rydenfan

rydenfan Well-Known Member

15. Bobbo316

Bobbo316 Well-Known Member

Those turned out awesome man, the color is so unique now. Congrats. Great refinishing job one of the better pairs of Ravello I have ever seen.

16. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Well-Known Member

17. MrDV

MrDV Well-Known Member

Hot damn. They look great. I was skeptical, but they look great. Who would have thought alden restoration could successfully match ravello shades.

18. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Well-Known Member

19. Shawnc

Shawnc Well-Known Member

Man, those look amazing. Definitely worth the time, effort, and cost. Congrats.

20. Mr Clemson

Those look fantastic!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.