1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mcarthur

mcarthur Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    ravello nst boots

2. Man with Apple

Man with Apple Well-Known Member

I have Trubalance boots in 9.5D and 9E. The 9.5D doesn't feel too long because I have wide feet, and the extra length helps to accommodate the volume of my feet. The 9E fits my foot more naturally with the added width.

It sounds like an 8E just might do the trick .

Thanks PP. Question on the fitting though. My foot isn't wide like yours, and is a standard D, so with your experience do you think the E on the 8E might be too wide?

3. monologuist

monologuist Well-Known Member

2 cents...only thing to be careful with the E width is even if it is better fit in the forefoot, don't forget that the heel will be roomier too. Too big in the heel is perhaps even more problematic than in forefoot.

4. randomkoreandude

randomkoreandude Well-Known Member

5. rick

rick Well-Known Member

Yeah i dont understand the indy's etiher. never "got" it. Those ones look decent though!

its funny what people like and don't like. i love my indy's i got the LS ultimate indy from tom. wore them this weekend and got 4 poeple who said wow those are great boots.

6. Man with Apple

Man with Apple Well-Known Member

Thanks PP. Question on the fitting though. My foot isn't wide like yours, and is a standard D, so with your experience do you think the E on the 8E might be too wide?

2 cents...only thing to be careful with the E width is even if it is better fit in the forefoot, don't forget that the heel will be roomier too. Too big in the heel is perhaps even more problematic than in forefoot.

Thanks Mono. Didn't really take that into consideration, but that's a good point. Anyone else with any experience with this please chime in.

7. rick

rick Well-Known Member

so i pretty much have aldens with all soles they carry. i will rank them which i find the most comfy in order.

1. crepe sole not the best looking sole but extremely comfy

2 commando sole a close second great for bad weather

3. double leather

4. single leather

5 neoprene cork sole i find uncomfortable and you will break your neck if there is any snow on the ground.

i am sure i missed some, but bored at work so what the hell.

8. dznqbit

dznqbit Active Member

This is what happens when you are bored late at night and you end up buying stuff you dont need on Amazon.com just because it's shiny and colorful (the wife hates it, but they are starting to grow on me, I will see what happens when I put the other lace on and put them on my feet):
    [​IMG]

They're awful and you should listen to the lady.

haha, I like it.

9. randomkoreandude

randomkoreandude Well-Known Member

^i dont HATE it but it make it look like a much cheaper boot than it deserves, like something from urban outfitters

also makes you look like a trendy wannabe hiker (again reference to urban outfitters and those that frequent there). one could pull it off with the correct outfit but i would say better not to even try.

10. joz411no

joz411no Well-Known Member

so i pretty much have aldens with all soles they carry. i will rank them which i find the most comfy in order.

3. double leather

4. single leather

5 neoprene cork sole i find uncomfortable and you will break your neck if there is any snow on the ground.

Double-Oiled/Waterlock sole? Always wondered about those. Don't have them yet.

11. blue collar

blue collar Well-Known Member

Thanks Mono. Didn't really take that into consideration, but that's a good point. Anyone else with any experience with this please chime in.

I have a wide flat foot. My problem is that if i want a shoe to fit my foot (ie. not have my wide feet spill out over the welt on the sides) i have to order an E width. However if i order the E width the uppers lace up very close to one another...almost touching, and my heel tents to slip out on newer shoes that have not broken in yet.

So i default and buy D widths, this way they lace up the way they should and my heel stays in place...but my feet tend to balloon out a little more than i would like, on the sides. Cant win...

my $0.02

12. rebel222

rebel222 Well-Known Member

3. double leather

4. single leather

You are missing flex welt and waterlock. I don't have the waterlock (double flex welt or oiled soles), but the flex welt is my second most comfortable sole . . . right below crepe.

13. rick

rick Well-Known Member

You are missing flex welt and waterlock. I don't have the waterlock (double flex welt or oiled soles), but the flex welt is my second most comfortable sole . . . right below crepe.

your right just got a pair of the oiled have not put them to test yet.

14. Explorer

Explorer Well-Known Member

Greetings. This is my first post - glad to be here. My home is Arizona, but I am presently working in Africa. The weather here is very humid, hot, and it rains five days a week. I currently wear the Alden 404 Brown Kudu (Alden of Carmel AF64). It is the most weatherproof Alden 405/404. The 404 are amazing in this extreme weather and I can wear them all day long without any problems. The leather is heavily oiled and it can sustain a lot of punishment from the weather. The soles are heavy duty Vibram rubber lug. The soles are great and non-slippery. I find the soles very comfortable for field work or office duty. Great boots.

15. Cuttingboard

Cuttingboard Well-Known Member

16. slide13

slide13 Well-Known Member

Been thinking about getting the lugged sole from the 404 put onto my black Tankers that have a fairly worn down commando sole on them now. Would turn them into great winter boots...plus I now have a pair of #8 tankers with commando sole

Anybody know what Alden is charging for a resole these days? How about turnaround time? I know I could call them, but they never answer their phone and I'm often not able to take a call back so it makes it tough.

17. king*stink

king*stink Active Member

After much diliberation as to what was going to be my first pair of Shell Cordovans, I decided on the Jcrew captoe boot. I received them on Saturday and I couldn't be happier with my decision. I will get some pics up soon once they have some wear to them. The boot is gorgeous. Now I want another. I'm thinking cigar longwing or waiting for Epaulet to do a reorder of their natural cxl longwing.

18. harrythedog

harrythedog Well-Known Member

hey king stink,

checkout the leather soul page, they have a beautiful natty long wing!!!

19. Thor

Thor Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Lots of dealers offer a black wingtip blucher in shell and/or calf- Alden of Carmel, Shoemart etc...perhaps not on the Leydon last...but it is a pretty common shoe...
    Anybody know what Alden is charging for a resole these days? How about turnaround time? I know I could call them, but they never answer their phone and I'm often not able to take a call back so it makes it tough.
    You should try emailing them- I have had pretty good success with that: general@aldenshoe.com

20. mechanical pencil

mechanical pencil Well-Known Member

Why don't you make any of the cool special models in an E width?

Yes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.