1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sacafotos

sacafotos Well-Known Member

I believe that's called a reverse welt. Not sure. I like the effect it creates with the lighter tone on the Alt Wien model for Epaulet. Are 975s the LWB?

2. wildstar

wildstar Well-Known Member

Yes

3. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

The Color 8 LWBs to be more precise.

[​IMG]

4. sacafotos

I can't decide if I'd get the Color 8 or Ravello LWB. The 8 is probably more versatile but also dressier.

I'd love a version with a commando sole.

5. REguy

REguy Well-Known Member

You'll only find a #8 commando at Alden of Carmel. I hope you're patient if you choose ravello, and I've never seen one with a commando sole.

6. aldenwear

aldenwear Well-Known Member

A mistaken post from, as my son puts it, my not-so -smart- phone. This man still has not mastered his technology.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2014
  7. aldenwear

of course, you are rihht. It is delusional to think mismatched shoes will somehow become more matched to one another.

Mismatched shoes are mismatched. They don't match. For something that costs $800 it is outrageous to pass them off as firat quality and I don't see why anyone would pay top.dollar amd tolerate them. I love whisky shell more than most and perhaps this pair illustrates the difficulties presented by light colored shell. They would go right back and I would tell the retailer that sending those to me was strike two in my dealings with it.

1 person likes this.
  8. aldenwear

Leffot has a preorder inthe works now.

9. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Well-Known Member

Does anyone own the Salzburger Alpine Grain Shortwing from Epaulet? Any pics in the wild? Did you simply go up a half size from the barrie last. I am very interested but I'm not sure if the alpine grain looks as plastic-like as the photos seem to suggest.

Thanks in advance...

10. tampatravel

tampatravel Well-Known Member

11. MrDV

MrDV Well-Known Member

Pm sftg. He has them.

12. Buckeye Nation

Buckeye Nation Well-Known Member

While you are entitle to your opinion, it isn't necessarily fact or correct.

When I get back to the US I'll send you / post some pictures of some shell that started off light and "mismatched" and as it aged and was used regularly darkened into a very nice shade of almost Ravello, it's "matching" improving with time, age and use.

Not quite as "delusional" as you may think.

BN

13. tampatravel

tampatravel Well-Known Member

So with the end of tax season apon us....that means one great thing (hopefully) - we will see @mcarthur posting shell goodness soon!

1 person likes this.
  14. aldenwear

We have different expectations and standards. If I pay $800 for whiskey shell shoes, that is what I expect to get and I won't accept two shoes colored differently that I have to hope may change to a far different color -almost ravello - and maybe get closer in color.

15. sacafotos

Not to sound ignorant but can't you keep the shoes in the sun to speed up the patina and bring the shades of each shoe within parity?

16. TO Tie Guy

TO Tie Guy Well-Known Member

You can, especially with a shade like Whiskey but it is not an exact science.

17. Kwaker

Kwaker Well-Known Member

I sun-bleached a pair of burgundy cordovan LWBs ... the different panels of leather each lightened by a different amount.
    I wouldn't rely on bleaching in an attempt to match shades.

18. tjonesd2

tjonesd2 Well-Known Member

Any shoe tree recs for 11 EEE barrie? I just got my first pair of shell Aldens and was under the impression that Alden offers lasted shoe trees... after a quick search, I appear mistaken. It's taking a lot of will power not to wear these guys yet!

19. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Well-Known Member

The shoe trees are spring loaded and should fill out the shoe/boot in question. There are however not lasted.

20. rydenfan

rydenfan Well-Known Member

Given the number of lasts and width Alden offers there would be thousands of part numbers and inventory if they had lasted trees. My advice is wait for a sale from Jos A Bank and stock up

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.