1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Byron Perez

Byron Perez Well-Known Member

Hahaha! The classic color 8 will do. :)

2. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Well-Known Member

^[​IMG]

3. creacher

creacher Member

I just purchased a long awaited pair of 405's with this discount. Thanks to both of you for sharing this.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
  4. zippyh

zippyh Well-Known Member

I remember seeing the black cordo ones in store for the $400 price but alas they didn't have my size.
    There was a black scotch grain version on Grant too.
    Also a black scotch grain chukka.

5. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Well-Known Member

I also would like a pair of color 2 long wings a ravello day tripper and color 4 nst boot :).

Seriousely though welcome to the thread BP exotic shell is likely already reserved until 2017. Best bet would be on the secondary market.

6. chewbocka

chewbocka Well-Known Member

Is there a promo code we need to use?

7. smoothie1

smoothie1 Well-Known Member

I just want to see what price something #4 or #2 will go for on the secondary markets.

BTW, I think you can still get on some rare shell pre-orders without too much hassle. I don't really dig longwings and am unaware of the exact status of pre-orders for them, but I have to believe there are a few confirmed pre-order lists out there, whether at Alden DC, SF, Leathersoul, or the like. Good luck.

8. aldenwear

aldenwear Well-Known Member

In all seriousness, if you want color 2 long wings, why not call Alden-of-Carmel and see if there are any still available?

9. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Well-Known Member

the clickable link in the post referencing the discount was redirecting back to styleforum

google denimbars website and move yourself over to their site and youll see they reference the discount code on their homepage

no shell from what i saw though

10. Bobbo316

Bobbo316 Well-Known Member

A pair of Color 4 NST boots sold the other day on a secondary market for somewhere around 2200 dollars.

11. smoothie1

smoothie1 Well-Known Member

If you are new to the Alden shell game and take an 8 US, why not start with a Ravello full strap loafer:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Alden-R...8443079?pt=US_Men_s_Shoes&hash=item20e31032c7

These are available (not my auction) and look to be slight irregulars. But if I were you, I would consider picking them up at a fair price. Cheers.

12. Byron Perez

The response here is unbelievably quick. Very nice. That Ravello full strap loafer is a beauty. I'm considering it.

I did call leathersoul to inquire about rare shells but I was told they're not getting any soon.

With respect to color 8, is it easy to cop a pair?

13. Byron Perez

As I am normally an 8.5US for Edward Green, Carmina, and Church's, do you guys think an 8US in Alden will do just fine? Am I right that Alden's sizing runs large? Thank you. [​IMG]

14. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Well-Known Member

Depends on the last there is a widely available last chart which should help to provide some insight.

[​IMG]

15. kwhitelaw

for the most part, yes. non exclusives are readily available across the country, with exclusives from individual retailers seemingly running back to back preorders.

if inquiring about #8 with any of the alden stores, good idea to ask about ravello and cigar. It seems those stores have been delivering various styes in those shades moreso than individual retailers

1 person likes this.
  16. K. Nights

K. Nights Well-Known Member

Why is cigar shell so much more expensive than #8? Is it simply a supply/demand issue?

17. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

As bespoken has said, it depends on the Last. The Aberdeen last, of which the full-strap loafer is on, is Alden's narrowest last. It probably won't be a good fit for you. Although they are beautiful, not point in a beauty that doesn't fit.

-Mike

18. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

As per a request here a few days back, I wore my Brown CXL Dovers. This was their maiden voyage.

Beginning of the Day:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

End of the Day:
    [​IMG]

Definitely got a little wrinkle going on. Just from looking at them from the onset, I knew the right shoe was going to wrinkle more as it had some lines formed before I even put them on my feet. Super light weight and comfy, which was nice on this 80 degree San Diego day.

-Mike

1 person likes this.
  19. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

Frankly, I can not figure this out myself. Older Cigar Shell used to have a lighter hue to it and showed more of the flaws in the hide, newer Cigar is as dark as #8. Don't think they need perfection to hide flaws there...

Old: Note the lighter finish...
    [​IMG]

New: Note the dark rich color (ignore the vamp, which is abnormally light)...
    [​IMG]

-Mike

1 person likes this.
  20. kwhitelaw

sigh

I wish new cigar was the same as old

these admittedly horrible photos of my chukkas are exactly how I wish it was still offered. I'd buy almost every shoe I have in that shade if I could

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.