1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rydenfan

rydenfan Well-Known Member

Alden DC did it a few years ago. Michigan Planner and a few others have posted pics. Should be able to search for them

2. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

McArthur has a pair for sure if you browse his photo gallery.

3. blackboard_knowledge

blackboard_knowledge Well-Known Member

With all of these whiskey shortwings on the Tremont last hitting the market, I was curious whether there are people out there that prefer a fuller cut shoe, where the laces essentially touch, or whether we simply deal with it as it is whiskey?

I mean, I am very happy to have gotten my whiskey shortwings, but the laces touching --the same with the Brooks Brothers shorwings-- as there is so much room is a pet peev.

4. blackboard_knowledge

Speaking of which, we haven't heard from Mac in a while. Mac, if you are out there, drop us a "nephew" so that we know that you are okay.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
  5. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

He is a financial consultant. It's tax season. Busy Mac. Has to buy his Alden's somehow!

6. Dillardiv

Dillardiv Well-Known Member

7. Shouldaville

Shouldaville Well-Known Member

I think some go down a half size on Tremont. Seemed like too much room with a high cut around the ankle when I went TTS.

8. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

I went tts size on my 974's and they fit perfectly. It's an art, not a science I guess! :)

9. LittleViti

LittleViti Well-Known Member

@Shouldaville agree with the fit on 974. Went down half a size and it was perfect.

10. zippyh

zippyh Well-Known Member

Whiskey Indy with snuff suede bonus pic.

2 people like this.
  11. Buckeye Nation

Buckeye Nation Well-Known Member

Only speaking for myself - I simply called, I'm not connected in the Alden world.

Watch here, people throw up PSA every now and then, and just call.

12. TedDanson

TedDanson Member

Hello all. I promise I searched and searched trying to find the info but searching for 'Indy 403 type of leather' was like looking for a needle in a hay stack. I am looking at a used pair of Indy boots. From the pictures, they appear to be in good shape. When I asked which model these are, the seller responded with 'Style 403, "Mocc Toe Blucher Boot. Brown Aniline' - I cannot figure out are these the chromexcel or classic brown. They look dk brown in the pics but lighting can be so misleading.

BTW, what leather is the classic brown?

Thank you very much!

13. blackboard_knowledge

Even though I have enjoyed perhaps hundreds of Mac's posts, due to his succinct comments, I actually know very little about him. I had started to create a Bill Brasky-like persona for him in my head.

It is interesting to know members' backgrounds, as we all share an addiction that is questionably more expensive than some street drugs, and have to pay for it one way or another. Further, although many of us are posting periodically throughout the day, I suspect many of us are checking in between meetings and deliverables. We should create a LinkedIn group:D

14. tampatravel

tampatravel Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

975s on a rainy night in Tampa! Go Bolts!

15. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

A hockey fan. You just got +100 in my book. I actually play. Not competitively anymore.

16. blackboard_knowledge

They are definitely cool, but I don't know if they add much if one already owns them in brown CXL. Or, that is what I am telling myself so that I do not hit the Place Order button.

17. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Well-Known Member

Blackboard, are you referring to the fit of your shoes or the actual style? The "quarters" of any balmoral shoe (the whiskey shortwings, color 8 shortwings) are supposed to touch. Both bluchers and balmorals should fit securely across the instep of your shoe.

18. blackboard_knowledge

Thanks for the clarification. Yes, my question was in regards to the style, not the fit. I feel secure after being fitted at Alden DC that I have the right size, it is the actual style --bal-- that I find marginally off-putting. But, it may be because I have always worn bluchers. Are there people that prefer balmorals over bluchers? If so, what is it about them that you like that you cannot get in a blucher?

Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
  19. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Well-Known Member

Balmorals shoes are generally considered more formal. I wear my Alden balmorals (black captoe bal, brown captoe bal and color 8 wingtip bal) with suits throughout the week. Traditionally, bluchers were not worn with suits, but that rule has gone by the wayside in recent years. Most people in this thread seem to prefer bluchers, but most people in the thread have fairly casual dress codes.

1 person likes this.
  20. budapest12

budapest12 Well-Known Member

I have both bals and bluchers, but, as far as shoes (not boots) go, I have a preference for bals. I just tend to like the style more and I also tend to find that my pants, tailored for a medium to full break, ride up a bit on the bluchers. With boots it is a different story - I have no bals, a bunch of bluchers, and few chelseas. I tend to wear the boots more with jeans, though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.