1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. docalden2013

docalden2013 Well-Known Member

I believe bkotsko was looking to get in on the action. You guys should talk.

2. MrDV

MrDV Well-Known Member

thank you tommy.
    thank you. the pants are petrol blue walts from epaulet.
    and merry Christmas to you too.
    thanks sazon.
    nice action shot namor. Its hard for me not to want to wear mine all the time.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  3. mtc2000

mtc2000 Well-Known Member

Something to add to your option list. DIY refinishing.

You may remember my experimental deglazed #8 Tanker. Since then, I have come to the conclusion that the glazing is a layer of acrylic finisher.

http://www.styleforum.net/t/354137/leather-quality-and-properties/1110#post_6955485

Angelus Acrylic Finisher #600, locally applied to the deglazed #8 Cordovan.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 23, 2014
    2 people like this.
  4. forsan

forsan Well-Known Member

Apologies for the late response, but thanks all!

In regards to your comment, Wis, as vestbash noted, I had worn these boots down farther/longer than I think most would find ideal. I purchased these knowing they would be my day-to-day, beater boots and they did just that. I suppose I can count myself lucky that no additional work was needed beyond what I requested B. Nelson to do. Highly recommend them!

5. NAMOR

NAMOR Well-Known Member

this is fascinating. did you re-glaze the boot or just test it on the quarter? any updated pics, the glaze in the 2 pics appears wet still

Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
  6. NAMOR

NAMOR Well-Known Member

i go through cycles. I wore these shoes 4-5 a week for a couple weeks, then 1-2 times, and now 0. maybe ill start up again but i find the tastes change from month to month. right now im diggin the wolverine 744 shell captoe and EG galway veldt captoe. im getting an itch for stitched apron shoes so it might be time for a nst boot/rl gianni streak

7. MrDV

MrDV Well-Known Member

My apologies, I get excited when I see (or think I see) aldens on tv.
    Steven Y, who plays Glenn on the walking dead, wore ravello cap toe boots on the talking dead Sunday night.

8. bkotsko

bkotsko Well-Known Member

Thanks, Doc.
    I sent a PM as soon as I saw the post.

9. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Well-Known Member

He must be a big Alden fan, I think he wore a different pair when he was on Talking Dead last season.

10. mtc2000

The pictures were taken when the localized re-glazing was already dried. The high gloss gives that "wet" look in direct sunlight.

The following picture shows when the acrylic finisher was still wet.
    In liquid form, the finisher is milky white. Transparent when dry. I used a small brush, the application was not even.

[​IMG]

When the finisher was dried, in subdued light.

[​IMG]

I tested a couple different acrylic finishers locally, found Angelus giving the closest "simulation" of the real thing.
    Then I re-glzed both boots entirely. This time, using a cotton rug to give a more even coat.
    Once the finisher was dried, I used a little paste wax to darken the hand sewn stitches.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

For those who are curious, I did some experiments on scrap leather before messing with the tankers.
    http://www.styleforum.net/t/354137/leather-quality-and-properties/1095#post_6942686

I did spend some time on the subject of acrylic finishers.
    It turns out this stuff has pretty widespread use in shoemaking, repair and leatherwork in general. But apparently, only Alden uses it on shell.
    BTW, some manufacturers use shellac, while others use paste wax alone.

http://www.styleforum.net/t/288880/acrylic-finisher-for-shoes#post_5220852

3 people like this.
  11. bkotsko

bkotsko Well-Known Member

Extremely informative. Looks like you got a very good result.
    Thanks.

12. budapest12

budapest12 Well-Known Member

Is the necessary conclusion that, for the most part, "dry shell" = shell without acrylic? Enter Alden shell lover existential crisis mode.

13. sazon

sazon Well-Known Member

Thank you gentlemen

14. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Well-Known Member

mtc2000 - great post. I'd love to see someone try this with a company that uses drier shell (C&J, Carmina) to see if they can reproduce the Alden glazing on a shoe or boot that would normally never have those properties.

15. mtc2000

I thought about doing just that eventually.

16. Tommi

Tommi Well-Known Member

Does anyone have an 'additional' pair of Alden x The Bureau Belfast Kudu boots in size 10.5 (see pic below)? I'm interested in buying a pair. I know It's unlikely to find what I'm looking for since it's a discontinued model but decided to try anyway.

[​IMG]

17. MrDV

MrDV Well-Known Member

early morning ravello
    [​IMG]

5 people like this.
  18. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Well-Known Member

So, I'm thinking about returning to TSM a pair of Color 8 shell captoe boots (http://www.theshoemart.com/alden-me...d-4060_ald_m_cap_toe_boot_shell_cordovan.html) that I bought a couple of months ago. That might shock some of you who consider this model to be a cornerstone of any Alden collection, but the fact is that I haven't worn them yet, I'm not sure how much I'm going to wear them, and I wouldn't mind making some room in the budget for other models - plus I get the sense that it's not a rare item and would therefore be easily replaceable should I miss them when they're gone.

Anyhow, while I haven't worn them outside, I have worn them around the house some and as a result they're a little creased. My question is, would TSM take them back in their current condition? I know I can probably just send them in and worst case scenario they would just return them to me, but I thought I'd run some photos by y'all first:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks in advance!

19. Burzan

Burzan Well-Known Member

I might just buy some and try it on my AE Leeds, will of course post results if I end up doing it

20. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Well-Known Member

Color 8 in the early spring sun

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.