1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Well-Known Member

Great looking boot, and welcome to the "brotherhood"! You know, Alden makes this same boot in color 8, black, and Cigar shell cordovan. All the best with your new addiction and membership in our enabling group! Post pics in the wild if you can...

Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
  2. matt92037

matt92037 Well-Known Member

3. WTGuthrie

WTGuthrie Member

These are gorgeous!!!

4. aldenwear

aldenwear Well-Known Member

that!

1 person likes this.
  5. Ulsterman

Ulsterman Well-Known Member

Pondering the very same question myself. I'm leaning toward a color 8 ptb and the 975's. Of course today is my one free day this week and the sf store is closed.

6. TommyB

TommyB Well-Known Member

I only own two pair of Alden shoes (Chukkas in #8 and Ravello) so take my piece of advice with a grain of salt, but I would say that you can't really go wrong with any of the shoes/boots you're considering. As others have said, 975 is also very versatile. Personally, I like boots so would also consider a wingtip boot (on Plaza or Barrie) and/or an NST boot on Plaza, both in #8 shell.

Good luck!

7. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Well-Known Member

Alden rookie, looking to pic up some #8. Ideally my staples would be leisure hand sewn penny, chukka, and longwing.

My AE size is 11 EEE, so I will have to find a retailer that can at least offer me a EE width in these. Any other options besides calling up the Alden brick & mortar?

8. JezeC

JezeC Well-Known Member

I bought the snuff suede amoks during AE's clearance sale for about $130, but wasn't sure if I should return it and consider Alden's version. It's going to be around 2 to 3 times the price of my amoks, but I was wondering whether there's a significant step-up in quality to warrant the premium. For transparency, a similar question was posted in the AE thread.

9. tjonesd2

tjonesd2 Well-Known Member

Man without a doubt the PTB. You will regret it if you don't-- can wear with jeans or dress up. I'm out in Cali too, and no one wears suits with boots that I know around here (though I'm SoCal). Plus if you walk alot, the extra, unneeded weight of the boots will get annoying fast-- Aldens are quite a bit heavier than AEs. You already own a boot and a heavily-brogued balmoral... a nice plain blucher is what you need to add!

10. REguy

REguy Well-Known Member

I think it comes down to personal preference. I bought a couple pairs of Amoks on deep discount when they first came out and thought they were some of the crappiest shoes I've owned. I wound up returning them. To me, $130 is the absolute max they're worth. I love Alden's unlined chukkas though. Why? The quality of the materials and finishing is far superior to the Amoks. Is that additional quality worth an additional $350? Only you can answer that question.

I think Alfred Sargent also makes a nice snuff suede chukka that's worth the money.

11. Renton

Renton Well-Known Member

In my experience, the only retailers that might stock anything in EE width are the Alden stores. You can play the preorder game with other stores, but when it comes to EE and EEE width, be prepared to wait.

12. docalden2013

docalden2013 Well-Known Member

It's been a crazy week, so I haven't had much time to read or post. My contribution is a dslr shot of my shell lwbs. Whiskey, 8, Cigar and Ravello.

[​IMG]

8 people like this.
  13. thebeebs

thebeebs Well-Known Member

^ Beautiful collection. You need a black pair also (9751). Most underrated LWB IMO

14. docalden2013

docalden2013 Well-Known Member

Thank you, beebs. Please don't get me started. I keep meaning to buy some staples like the 9751 and the king tassels on aberdeen. Then things happen like getting a random call about a whiskey lhs coming in in my size or viberg making the color 8 cxl boot I had wanted for a while. As I've been saying for months, I still haven't set aside funds for my dream shoes, the EG Westminsters in dark oak antique, nor am I sure I'll have the funds in time for a cxl wt boot from AofC in April. And my boy zippyh has been telling me I need a Barbour commander jacket!!

Serious issues these are.

edit:

I forgot to mention re the issue of a black shell shoe. Recalling the question about whether one of the newer members should go for the jcrew special makeup cadet or the lwb. I can unequivocally say that i believe that the black shell lwb beats the jcrew cadet shoe any day of the week and twice on sunday. I got the jcrew cadet at a 25% discount during a time I was still making unanalyzed impulse purchases. It's a big regret. I rarely wear the shoe, mostly breaking it out out of guilt. Anyway, here's a recent pic of my cadets:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  15. NYDRH

NYDRH Well-Known Member

Doc I can understand your feelings on the cadet, and given the previous pic of your deep LWB bench I see why it doesnt get much air time. I personally wear mine about once a week, and really like them, If I were given the choices between the cadet and the lwb - I would go: 1) #8LWB; 2) Black Cadet and 3) Black LWB. I love the #8 but have never felt much of a draw to the standard black version, although Ive got it on the modified and it has a completely different look with a closed heel.

16. WTGuthrie

WTGuthrie Member

Looking to purchase either a pair of Allen Edmonds Strands or a pair of Alden Medallions. Can anyone give me a comparison on both? Is there a quality difference between the two?
    Thanks in advance!
    WT

17. rydenfan

rydenfan Well-Known Member

@Doc, tell me about it...I am supposed to be in lock down and even thinning out what I have. Yet I seem to be pulling the trigger on an all Zug leather EG Galway, the Viberg kudu boot, possibly the Viberg derby and have the Cigar Grant boot due in the next few months. Oops...

18. BootSpell

BootSpell Well-Known Member

I've kept to my commitment and sold five boots in the last month. Trying to decide if I want to sell some more. I definitely need to give the boots I have more wear. I have two boots on order and I know there'll be others that might catch my eye so thinning further seems like it is in order.

19. zippyh

zippyh Well-Known Member

And hopefully some teak cordovan Tricker's soon.

20. rydenfan

rydenfan Well-Known Member

Yup! Those as well...I haven't heard anything regarding timing on those. I will shoot Richard an email.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.