1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Profligate47

Profligate47 Well-Known Member

Today, first time out of doors:[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  2. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Well-Known Member

Recycled content. They posted those already.

None. They are ready to wear.

3. Subutai

Subutai Well-Known Member

Perfection.

4. totalair1

totalair1 Well-Known Member

Wow that's sweet news, well maybe sour but still good! Based on your post it appears to be hand squeezed which is probably more effective. I'm honestly impressed with this fix! Certainly a great way to get rid of a oil based stain. A few years ago my dog knocked over a glass of red wine on a brand new expensive hand woven rug. The fix was to pour white wine on it and it worked perfectly,

See Ya,
    Steve

5. irishcafe

irishcafe Active Member

Just received my first ever Alden in the mail earlier this week, the #8 PTB. Tho I am a LWB and SWB lover, I opted for the PTB this time for the versatility. But I know either the LWB or the SWB+Commando Sole from AOC will be my next in the very near future. The moment I open the box and see the shoes I know that I'll have many more to come!

One downside is that there is a very tiny and unnoticeable scratch around the ankle of the shoes. I will try to brush it out and see how shell performs over scratch as I know that I'll be wearing these PTB quite a lot for the upcoming conferences and seminars.

Pics later...:slayer::slayer::slayer:

6. Vicious49

Vicious49 Well-Known Member

But if it's unnoticeable, how'd you notice it? [​IMG]

7. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Well-Known Member

Good choice.

8. circleslife

circleslife Well-Known Member

#8 PTB is the best. I wear it more than any other Alden's. Congrats and wear it in good health.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  9. thebeebs

thebeebs Well-Known Member

^ +1. Color 8 PTB is King of the Kings.

1 person likes this.
  10. docalden2013

docalden2013 Well-Known Member

I hear you guys on this. The ptb best shows off the sheen and patina of shell. But, I still struggle with christening it as the ultimate Alden shoe. I still think I'd take the 975 as my most useful color 8 shoe. (I still think I have a bias toward more ornamented shoes; I realize that others see it the opposite way, with the simplicity of the ptb making it most versatile). Accordingly, I made sure to have both in the stable.

11. SCoNE

SCoNE Well-Known Member

Hey, I picked up this pair of Brooks Brothers shoes which I believe are Aldens. They're basically identical to a pair of Alden 683 Loafers that I picked up, including nail pattern on the heel. However, the sizing format printed in the Brooks Bros shoes are inconsistent with the Aldens (Don't have the over/under format on width) and they don't have the "683" style number. I just wanted to confirm what I have here! Would these designations change because they're for Brooks? Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. irishcafe

irishcafe Active Member

Sharp eyes. lol.

Thank you all!

I think I am on the same boat as you on the favoritism over brogues, and I never thoguht I'd actually like PTBs, but I do now. 975 is almost definitely my pair.

13. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

Hey All, love the discussion on the LHSes today. I actually went with my Whiskey LHS today.

Yes, I believe that it is the Epaulet factory tour in which they show the ladies sewing shoes by hand. I remember them talking about the NST in particular being significantly more time consuming.

I do not typically wear Aldens with shorts, I do not know why, but it just strikes me as a little odd. But if I were, I would probably only do it with a LHS or something in Suede.

-Mike

14. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

From yesterday (Tuesday). Cigar LWB.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I wasn't planning to wear these shoes yesterday, but I decided to go with the gray, blue, and brown socks. The gray and blue corresponded with the suit (gray with a blue plaid pattern inlaid) and tie (light blue), so I had to go Cigar with the brown... :) Cigar belt of course! But trying not to post what can construed as a crotch shot...

-Mike

Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
    7 people like this.
  15. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

Today was all about the Whiskey... Because it IS Whiskey Wednesday after all!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Went with navy slacks and my Whiskey Shell belt. Decided to go sans coat and tie today.

These bad boys really didn't fit me very well, despite being the same exact size as 3 other pairs of LHSes in my closet. They are noticeably wider than my other pairs and just slightly longer. I check the box and the shoes 3 times to verify that they are both labeled correctly... I was thinking of selling them, but then in a last ditch effort, I tried insoles on them, and they now fit absolutely perfectly! So I am very excited to get these guys more tied into my rotation.

-Mike

1 person likes this.
  16. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

Those are definitely Aldens. They are made on the Aberdeen last and just labeled as Brooks Brothers (this is actually done by Alden). Great shoes, I hope that they fit you well and that you are able to enjoy them!

-Mike

1 person likes this.
  17. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

Those look awesome. I love their commando soles.

18. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

++1 on the Dover.

19. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

Sir, those look awesome. Great addition to the Whiskey Wednesday. -Mike

20. thebeebs

thebeebs Well-Known Member

I would echo your sentiment, except I can't crown the 975 King since Cigar LWB is the real King of Gunboats.

In fact, Cigar LWB is one of only 2 models where a color other than Color 8 reigns supreme (other possible exception being Whiskey LHS).
    Others may disagree, and for this, we have multiple Aldens in the stable! [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.