• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Agreed.  I also have the King, the MKS, and the Cigar.  Would like to add the tan, but will refrain.  The king is a good first Tassel.  Once you have mastered the King, then think about trying some less majestic Tassel.

Plus, Leffot Suede Tassel $535 x 1.085 (sales tax where applicable) +$15 (Shipping) = $595.48

Color 8 Tassel from Alden SF, Free Shipping, No Tax = $619

(Not sure about NYC Sales Tax, perhaps Uncle can assist me with his accounting expertise.  IIRC, you are in the NY Metro area, so not sure if you were going to buy them in person or have them shipped, but under any circumstances, less than $100 to upgrade to shell.)

:lol:

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Agreed.  I also have the King, the MKS, and the Cigar.  Would like to add the tan, but will refrain.  The king is a good first Tassel.  Once you have mastered the King, then think about trying some less majestic Tassel.

Plus, Leffot Suede Tassel $535 x 1.085 (sales tax where applicable) +$15 (Shipping) = $595.48

Color 8 Tassel from Alden SF, Free Shipping, No Tax = $619

(Not sure about NYC Sales Tax, perhaps Uncle can assist me with his accounting expertise.  IIRC, you are in the NY Metro area, so not sure if you were going to buy them in person or have them shipped, but under any circumstances, less than $100 to upgrade to shell.)

your conclusion on this matter is right on the mark and your recommendation is very proper

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
Had a good day today, dropped by Alden DC as was in town and picked up a Cigar LHS, Cigar Belt, and Whiskey Belt. Also, got an unlined LHS in Color 8 from BB. Shipped to my house, so will post pics when I get them.

I think I sound like Steve now... :)

aldenwear

Reaction score
Hey,

Just picked up a pair of seconds last week and I feel like I'm getting a little too much crease... I'm thinking I need to size down, does anyone else agree?

And the left definitely creases more than the right...

Here's the pictures while I'm wearing the shoes

and this is after wearing, brushing, and putting in trees:

Look fine here. Most people's feet are different sizes and gait and footfall could effect this.

By the way, they look great.

If the shoes fit, wear them.

Last edited:

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Had a good day today, dropped by Alden DC as was in town and picked up a Cigar LHS, Cigar Belt, and Whiskey Belt. Also, got an unlined LHS in Color 8 from BB. Shipped to my house, so will post pics when I get them.

A good day indeed.

And now you are approximately $2,000 poorer. :fistbump:

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I wish we all could be as fortunate as you and Steve! Wear in great health your new LHS models and belts!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Shell PTBs generally crease a good deal, but you are correct. A shoe that's too large will crease more. These pics look to me like a decent fit. Sizing down will not necessarily lead to less creasing. Your right shoe's creasing looks perfect and the left not quite as good but still a solid fit, imho. I'm like Aldenwear, I vote for keeping and enjoying your regal footwear. Good luck!

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

Shell PTBs generally crease a good deal, but you are correct. A shoe that's too large will crease more.  These pics look to me like a decent fit.  Sizing down will not necessarily lead to less creasing.  Your right shoe's creasing looks perfect and the left not quite as good but still a solid fit, imho.  I'm like Aldenwear, I vote for keeping and enjoying your regal footwear.  Good luck!

I think the PTBs and Chukkas are the most beautiful and display the Shells in the most beautiful manner possible, but have found that the creasing bothers me. I have a pair of 8 Chukkas and learned the tough way that you need to break them in before using a foot break on your car. :-/

Yours look great, so enjoy them.

chimaki

Reaction score
Ordered this one at the beginning of June and had no problems. If Alden is discontinuing the captoe on the grant last you can always get the one from J.Crew on the barrie. What size were you attempting to get?
looking at 8.5, and definitely prefer the 4060, but my fall back is certainly to just order the j crew now. i'm putting in an email to tsm to see if it's a canned response or really the end of the road.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ODE]
looking at 8.5, and definitely prefer the 4060, but my fall back is certainly to just order the j crew now.  i'm putting in an email to tsm to see if it's a canned response or really the end of the road.  

This Grant boot is currently carried at Alden SF and DC with the Commando sole, in black and 8.

chimaki

Reaction score
ODE]
This Grant boot is currently carried at Alden SF and DC with the Commando sole, in black and 8.
ty, i did see the commando version, looking to see if the leather sole turns up first. if it looks like chances are slim, the commando is in line as well.

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Can anyone explain//show the difference between burnished tan and dark tan/burnished dark tan and walnut?

They all look very similar on TSM and at aldenshoe .com

dusttruffle

Reaction score
just wanted to double check that this is the grant last. cannot quite get over the similarity to to Barrie in fit. thanks

stmaier

Reaction score

ty, i did see the commando version, looking to see if the leather sole turns up first.  if it looks like chances are slim, the commando is in line as well.

Alden NYC stocks the grant captoe boot all eyelets and leather sole in color 8 and black

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads