1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ironclad

ironclad Well-Known Member

I also have my name on the list for the cigar cap toe boots from Alden DC though I'm too far down the list to receive a pair on this upcoming shipment. And I also have my name in for whiskey ptbs through Alden DC, but Kathy doesn't even have enough names (let alone available shell) to request production.

2. Vicious49

Vicious49 Well-Known Member

I didn't realize your feet can grow at that age. Once I passed my mid-twenties I assumed my feet were done growing. Maybe it has something to do with your arch as you suggested. That has to suck if you have to replace all the shoes you collected over the years.

3. stevefok

stevefok Well-Known Member

May I know Alden DC provide shipping service or they request you to pick it up in person?? Thanks

4. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Well-Known Member

If you are in the U.S. they will ship. Alden will not allow U.S. retailers to ship their product internationally though.

5. Vicious49

Alden DC does shipping if you're not local.

6. Vicious49

What is the reason for that? I've been wondering that for a while since I've seen it on every site. Is it because our pricing is different than other countries so they'd rather have them buy from their own retailers there rather than save money by buying from the US?

7. Don L

Don L Well-Known Member

#8 Medallion Cap's today

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  8. Carson

Carson Well-Known Member

Hi everyone. I have a quick last sizing question. I've searched the forum rather thoroughly but have not seen this specifically addressed. I have the opportunity to purchase a color 8 toe cap shell boot that is available in the plaza last @ 9.5E and 9E. I own one Alden shell boot: a barrie chukka in a 9D. I am approx. a 9.5 D size. The barrie chukka fits generously in that size. It's not too long or too wide, but there is some room to wear a moderately thicker sock.

The other issue is that these boots are not returnable.

So, the question is: the difference between a D width barrie and an E width plaza. I could a) go with my same length in barrie in the plaza (9) but take an E width, b) take the supposedly correct length for me in plaza - 9.5 - but with an E instead of a D. With option "a" the width would be probably fine, but the length is questionable. With option "b" I worry that there will be a bit too much room in the width, and I wouldn't want to chance that with shell.

Or, I just convince myself that as much as they are lovely shell boots, it's not worth the risk and drop the whole thing.

Anyone have any experiences going from different widths from barrie to plaza??

Thanks!

9. DuckOB

DuckOB Well-Known Member

Vicious

It did suck, I had some very comfortable J&M Signature's that I wore. My tastes have now gotten more expensive. I started with A&E and couldnt really dial in the right size/last and now have a growing collection of Aldens and trying to justify Vibergs and Trickers[​IMG]

If they grow again.....yikes

10. thebeebs

thebeebs Well-Known Member

Personally, I wouldn't pursue either alternative. I wear 1/2 size larger in Plaza than Barrie, and same width. I could not imagine the fit being optimal unless you're pushing out of your Barrie Ds width-wise.

11. Carson

Carson Well-Known Member

I've been justifying Tricker's quite a bit lately, way more than my meager finances will allow...

12. totalair1

totalair1 Well-Known Member

I don't know the official answer to your question. I suspect it does relate to pricing. In addition some overseas retailers seem to have models we don't have in the USA, and some USA retailers have models not seen overseas. From a 10,000 foot view....I see it as a way for Alden to control the retailers both in inside and outside the USA. I'm sure there's more SF members that might share insight on this topic.

See Ya,
    Steve

13. Subutai

Subutai Well-Known Member

Absolutely beautiful Don! No spoilers on purpose! If only I could get my hands on a pair of these! They are my ultimate Alden GRAIL.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  14. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

I thought these were pretty regularly available? No?

15. Subutai

Subutai Well-Known Member

Really?!? Where??

16. Vicious49

I've only tried 1 pair of Trickers so far but didn't find them all that appealing and I love British footwear. It could have been the particular shoe/last that I tried. I like Crockett & Jones but their lasts are too sleek for what I normally wear. If I wore a suit everyday though I'd be all over C&J. I loved my Alfred Sargents but Aldens Barrie and TruBalance lasts seem a much better fit for my feet so I'd rather have Aldens for my semi-casual needs. I have kept 4 pairs of dress shoes that aren't Alden - brown Churchs, black C&J, walnut/tan AS and a black captoe AS. Come to think of it, I can't remember seeing an Alden Balmoral, at least not posted in here anyways. Hmmm . . .

17. totalair1

totalair1 Well-Known Member

I think feet growing is a combination of age plus weight. My foot grew several sizes between the ages of 16-30. They stayed the same size until I turned 40 and have been about the same size since then. I don't think the foot grows much after your mid 20's, but I do think as you age the arch does collapse some. I think if you look some weight your foot gets smaller, or the arch does not collapse as much much. My weight fluctuated a lot over the last few years and as I lost weight my shoes were looser, and as I gained they were tighter. Fortunately I'm staying on the lighter side these days. I have a few pairs of my Alden's that are too big, but since they lace they are tight enough to wear. They make good shoes to wear when Im on my feet for long periods of time.

See Ya,
    Steve

18. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Well-Known Member

I imagine they have some sort of contract with foreign retailers that guarantees them exclusive rights in their perspective markets and will not allow U.S. retailers, who are not subject to any import tariff, to compete.

19. LaymanX

LaymanX Well-Known Member

Any idea what the pre-orders from J Gilbert are for 2014? I emailed Yenni a few days ago, but no reply yet.

20. Vicious49

Interesting. I'm 37 at the moment and my weight has been pretty consistent over the last 7 years. Guess I better keep doing some cardio so I don't gain weight once I pass 40. I was expecting to gain some as I passed 30 but luckily that didn't happen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.