1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rydenfan

rydenfan Well-Known Member

I would send Steven a note. I bet they can add an additional pair for you. They have done it for me a few times during the pre-order process

2. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Well-Known Member

actually, those jcrew indys have kinda become bastard childs. they have a topy on the front, cats paw on the back, and a 'sloppily' applied dark brown edge dressing to "blend" it all together.

they literally have become my shit kickers, but as the picks show, still clean up well

3. FENWAY

FENWAY Well-Known Member

Picked up a pair of the Chamois CT Boot at The Shoe Mart. Not very exciting, but very comfortable and love the look/feel of the leather.
    [​IMG]

4. Vicious49

Vicious49 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the quick responses guys. Just placed the preorder for the LWB.

5. zr0e

zr0e Well-Known Member

Nice, but I think I prefer the black ones! Enjoy

6. ironclad

ironclad Well-Known Member

Nice boot. Those look pretty rugged.

7. FENWAY

FENWAY Well-Known Member

^Thanks, gotta love the commando. TSM is selling them (First quality) at their seconds price of $299. Give 'em a call

8. NAMOR

NAMOR Well-Known Member

Great stuff Fenway. Fantastic makeup all way 'round

9. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Well-Known Member

Wow, suede trifecta! VERY jealous and happy for you my friend. I love Alden shell, but their suede make-ups are not far behind!

10. coinopcollector

coinopcollector Well-Known Member

I think each of these are awesome but I just can't justify spending $500+ on suede.

1 person likes this.
  11. Man with Apple

Man with Apple Well-Known Member

I received mine today and they are fantastic. I expect that you will be very happy with them.

I will try and post some pics tomorrow.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
  12. docalden2013

docalden2013 Well-Known Member

Mdubs, zippyh has tipped me off regarding Trickers having a reliable MTO process. Over on the main thread and their separate MTO thread, there has been talk of teak cordovan, which sort of resembles ravello shell. Note that the shell is not Horween, but is from an Argentinian or Italian maker called Comipel (someone correct me if I'm a bit off on the country of origin). I haven't seen it first hand, but folks on the thread--a number of them regular posters on this thread--seem to be happy. I was thinking of the Stow boot, which looks mostly like an Alden wingtip blucher boot. We could go crazy with options such as dainite sole, various edge trims, pull tabs, eyelets etc. Wait time is somewhere in the neighborhood of 12 weeks once they source the shell. Roughly 12 weeks for calf and suede.

Another route would be to go MTO with Viberg. On the viberg thread there has been a recent discussion about whether to try to put together a Styleforum MTO in shell or cxl, among other options (e.g., waxed animal flesh something or other--again, someone who knows this more thoroughly can clarify...). We'd be looking at a plain toe or perf cap option. The 2030 last, the only one I know intimately, seems to fit most a la Barrie. There are structured and unstructured toe options. 7 or 10 eyelets. Dainite possible.

Ok. Now back to our waiting with bated breath on our cigar boots...
    This is just salt in my very fresh wound after having learned that my size in this boot is gone and, according to david at Needsupply (one of the faster repliers to PMs, I might add), is unlikely to be restocked for a while. (He tells me, btw, that they were unhappy with some of the eyelets that came with the batch and sent them back for correction; there was no mention of dissatisfaction with the suede quality, so I'm looking forward to seeing in-the-wild pics soon from you lucky blokes who scored). If ever there was doubt about my crack-addict-ness regarding this boot, I even had the audacity to PM an esteemed member to find out if he was able to pull off a Barrie-to-Trubalance sizing down from 8.5 to 8 just so I could make an argument for pulling trigger. Alas--er fortunately, I was disabused of my temporary delusion.

All of this might just be my way of saying, winter please go the f*** away so I can wear my suede shoes and give my ultimate indys and tobacco chammys some rest.

13. docalden2013

I would spend $520+ to make sure I got the Tarrago suede spray and a $4 suede/nubuck kiwi brush and then you'd be all set. Suede is an elegant looking material and very workable as long as you're not staining it with mud or raw denim. Even then, some would call that patina, no? Start with something versatile like a snuff suede lwb and see just how many casual pairings you can come up with.

Sorry for the preaching. I talked to Kathy for about 20 minutes yesterday and heard many of her arguments for shoes coming down the pike, among them suede. Btw, she also has a green suede makeup if I recall correctly.

14. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

15. esoxm

esoxm Well-Known Member

Awesome boots- could you post a pic in the sunlight when you have a chance?

16. docalden2013

inorite? looks like a ravello alpine grain almost. would have jumped aboard bandwagon, but alpine grain wt boots from LeatherSoul purchased about a year ago would be jealous. also, I took the plunge and kopped 2 pairs of trickers recently. sorry for the derail, but let's just say I'm making a comparison with Alden wt boots...

Black from LS
    [​IMG]

Green from End Clothing uk
    [​IMG]
    no, i will not be pairing these with red laces or socks

17. Akeem

Akeem Well-Known Member

18. docalden2013

Why don't I just close my laptop?

Trying to remember all the bad press NRO got last summer on this thread. Aldens are not a substitute for true happiness. Aldens are not a substitute for true happiness.

1 person likes this.
  19. Dbear

Dbear Well-Known Member

Speaking of NRO, any chance they run another discount code?

20. zippyh

zippyh Well-Known Member

Hey doc, you've been on a kopping spree.
    Comipel is an Italian company as far as I know.

Teak cordovan
    [​IMG]

Burgundy cordovan
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.