1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Well-Known Member

I'm kind of the opposite of a lot of you guys. I got involved a couple of years ago and started with the "cool makeups." I've owned and sold whiskey and cigar Indy boots, whiskey and cigar NST, whiskey wingtips, ravello PTB, some unique CXL and suede models, etc. Back then, it was relatively easy to find rare makeups in my size. But as I got more black and color 8, these rare makeups started to collect dust, so I sold them. Now, I am focusing more on black and color 8 as I have found those more wearable. I'm close to finished but there are still classic models i wouldn't mind owning (color 8 NST, color 8 captoe blucher, 975/9751, tassel loafers, chukkas, etc).

The only two shoes I really regret selling are the ravello PTB and a pair of Leather Soul CXL jumper boots (those jumpers would fill a nice hole in my boot collection).

Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
  2. Vicious49

Vicious49 Well-Known Member

I'm not so lucky. I recently got into Aldens after getting a JCrew Indy on sale last October. It felt much sturdier than any shoe I'd tried until that point and it fit me great. I think I got that at 25% off and 33% off my next 3 pairs during the haberdash sale in November. I did end up finally paying full price for the grant CT shell boots I picked up a few weeks ago and for whatever pair of chukkas I decide to keep here in the next week or so. It does suck that shell is around $700 now so I don't see myself picking up another pair after this. My purchases will be limited to what I can find on sale but I wanted at least 1 or 2 pairs that were probably never going to hit any sale.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
  3. totalair1

totalair1 Well-Known Member

I bought a 2008 911 Turbo Cab summer of 2012. Only had 2,500 miles on it. Drove it home from Atlanta, Ga and never looked back. I've owned a lot of muscle cars over the years and drive a Audi Q5 for my daily vehicle...none touch the Porsche. I agree Alden's and Porsche are hard to beat!

See Ya,
    Steve

4. BeSpiffington

BeSpiffington Well-Known Member

Totalair1, what do you think of the Carrera 4? Could a guy wear his cigar LHS's and be happy in one at the same time?

5. totalair1

BeSpiffinton-I think wearing any Alden LHS and driving a Porsche rocks! I'm thinking about getting a Macan when its time to retire my Q5. The Macan is same platform as the Q5. In regards to LHS I've got #8 and black but have not been able to find any of the rare colors. I'm still hunting!!!!!

See Ya,
    Steve

6. sazon

sazon Well-Known Member

Well, I certainly can't afford a Porsche these days, but at least I have these 4s

(worn yesterday)

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  7. ErikW

ErikW Well-Known Member

Gorgeous - do you think we ever see a reappearance of #4?

8. sazon

sazon Well-Known Member

“Regrets…I’ve had a few. But then again, too few to mention” – The Hoboken Kid

Looking back over all the models I’ve sold, my only regret is:

#8 Wingtip Boot from the Shoe Mart.

I sold this to fund the same boot on the plaza, but looking back, having this boot on both lasts would have been fine for me, since I love the style so much.
    What stings most is that I bought it 4 years ago when TSM used to have 10% off Aldens in January. If I re-buy this boot (which I doubt I will), its going to cost me $700+

9. tigerpac

tigerpac Well-Known Member

I thought #4 never left Japan....

10. stevenm104

stevenm104 Member

Watch-y'all wearing today?

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  11. thams

thams Well-Known Member

#8 Naval Boots after their first Reno plus a little wear. Love the ever so slight color change that's beginning.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  12. irbe

irbe Well-Known Member

Going to return my Alden jcrew cap toe color 8 because of the speed hooks coming apart. Was going to buy another pair and be put on the wait list till JUNE, but saw these on ebay:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/IMMACULATE-A...Men_s_Shoes&hash=item1e86f16e39#ht_785wt_1134

Wondring if I should try to put bid in and get these instead of getting the jcrew cap toe. Never bought used shoes before, but these look in good condition and looks a little sleeker. Only thing that concerns me is the second pic where it shows the lug sole attaching to the original, seems to be some cracking. Would this be an issue? Also can anybody chime in if I'm a 7.5 D trubalance, would i be 7.5 D in the grant?

This will be only shells at the moment.

13. totalair1

Certainly the Porsche of Aldens! Very nice indeed.

See Ya,
    Steve

14. smoothie1

smoothie1 Well-Known Member

Caveat emptor regarding used shoes. I agree the upper looks to be in nice shape. But if you experience any problems with the soles, the cost of resoling will likely place closer to the cost of new ones. The soles look like they have already begun to split from exposure to moisture.

Furthermore, with seven days left in the auction, I assume the price will rise considerably.

15. Don L

Don L Well-Known Member

Ravello LWB

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  16. Nakedsnake

Nakedsnake Well-Known Member

This is how I feel right now. Terrible timing. My first pair of Alden's will be the Alden DC cigar cap toe. After that, I would like to pick up a few classics as soon as the budget allows, then thats about it. Assuming all shoes costs the same, i'd still want a few Alden boots (truthfully, most of their make ups haha) and LWBs, the two models Alden does the best. The rest of the holes in my collection could be fielded by other makers.

17. tampatravel

tampatravel Well-Known Member

Quick Question:

I'll be going to a wedding here in a few weeks. I know that I'll be drinking and I've hired a car for the evening. So...do I wear my JCrew Cap Toe Boots #8, my #8 990s, or something I don't mind getting messed up - stepped on - spilled on - etc...like my Park Aves that are 2nds.

Or, do I act like a girl and bring a different pair of shoes for the reception?

18. thams

thams Well-Known Member

Wear the shell (either pair) and party it up. Any blemish you pick up from the fun will add to the character of your shoes.

1 person likes this.
  19. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Well-Known Member

edit:

message removed as apparently moulded shoe does not want their stock nor pricing to be advertised [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  20. lagsun

lagsun Well-Known Member

I'm off to Paris too at the end of the month so I'll check out Anatomica. Also on my list is C&J as I'm considering the Islay boot. I'm staying for over a week and trying to pack light with just a carry on so not sure which Alden(s) to bring. Weather might be wet and I plan to walk a lot.

Right now I'm thinking of either bringing two pair or just one and buying a pair of shoes in Paris if I can find something :) On the short list are chamois ranger mocs on crepe, #8 LWB on double leather,cigar indy on com and/or #8 captoe boot on commando.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.