1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shawnc

Shawnc Well-Known Member

Interesting. I never heard of coconut oil as a shoe product. Is there a particular brand that you used as I would certainly be willing to consider it. Either way, thanks for the tip.

2. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

I was wondering the same thing!

-Mike

3. anrobit

anrobit Well-Known Member

Coconut oil is used as a conditioning base in several top of the line conditioners. GlenKaren is probably the best one that comes to mind. I use a 100% pure virgin coconut oil. Whatever brand floats your boat.

As with most pure conditioners you have to be rather sparing in your application, but there tends to be quite a bit of leeway with shell and my non-Alden shell was quite dry in comparison to Alden

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
  4. El Argentino

El Argentino Well-Known Member

Thanks Spiff. I love the Innsbruck too - that's one of my "ones that got away"

5. smoothie1

smoothie1 Well-Known Member

Dry shell cordovan is easily remedied with conditioning. Coconut oil could do the trick, while adding a pleasing aroma no doubt. I have always opted for paste wax, some Saphir or other conditioner, and a deer bone.

Non-Alden shell, which lacks the glazed finish and deeply infused fat/conditioning of Alden's shell, is an opportunity to add patina, color, and conditioning to your liking immediately.

Shell cordovan can be factory tanned, finished, and even embossed in various ways; the product is versatile and robust. Treat it with kid gloves, or beat it down, just wear the stuff.

1 person likes this.
  6. anrobit

anrobit Well-Known Member

Much agreed. The important note with all shoes is to wear them, and wear them hard.

I find Saphir a little lacking on the conditioning front, but it certainly shines well

7. sqroot3

sqroot3 Well-Known Member

I want to see photos!

8. BeSpiffington

BeSpiffington Well-Known Member

Amen brother smoothie. Amen!

9. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Well-Known Member

I would avoid the use of shoe polish on shell. You'll accumulate a nasty build up that will look awful. I would stay with paste wax. Coconut oil sounds interesting...

10. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Well-Known Member

11. tampatravel

tampatravel Well-Known Member

Black Shell is soooooo classic...and that's port and starboard - not Merry Christmas!

[​IMG]

12. BeSpiffington

Beautiful PTB's with a great shine TT. 9901's? I'm stealing your dual colored laces look, it's very fashion forward.

13. tampatravel

tampatravel Well-Known Member

Thank You BeSpiffington!

They are indeed 9901s
    It also makes the TSA people much nicer when you have "goofy" laces. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
  14. aldenwear

aldenwear Well-Known Member

But slamming someone's auction is exactly what you are doing. And if you were really sorry about doing that, you simply would not do it.

(And not mine by the way.)

What does it matter if the seller calls them potato? As you have shown so well, the seller included a very clear picture of the shoes so that, as you have shown so well, one can make one's own judgment about the condition. Descriptions are necessarily subjective and, often, open to dispute.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
  15. budapest12

budapest12 Well-Known Member

^ Yeesh. El Argentino was pointing out a pretty common phenomenon - eBay sellers misrepresenting products. I thought it was funny. The pictures are there, yes, but not all buyers know how to reconcile discrepancies between the pics and the written descriptions. They SHOULD and they need to be careful, but there is a lot of mislabeled stuff out there. The seller SHOULD NOT "call them potato" as you say, when they are not potato. Regardless of pics. So, respectfully, I disagree with your take.

16. MrDV

MrDV Well-Known Member

#4 boot
    [​IMG]

5 people like this.
  17. rydenfan

rydenfan Well-Known Member

18. sazon

sazon Well-Known Member

Sweet as Candy!

19. BeSpiffington

MrDV, what can I say? DA'BOMB!

20. chipshot

chipshot Well-Known Member

I especially like the sans speed hooks and light welt. Awesome boots for a lifetime ... well done!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.