1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

That's easy....they see pictures of mcarthurs shoes!! haha

2. mtc2000

mtc2000 Well-Known Member

True, but it also gives the fake leather plasticky feel that turns away some potential customers.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  3. totalair1

totalair1 Well-Known Member

Gentlemen-Thanks for your comments and suggestions. I think I will just keep buffing this pair and try to get more Patina going all over them. For what It's worth I've used very, very, very little Reno on them. The majority of the darkening has come from buffing with a brush. To be honest I think a little of it has come from a new expensive horsehair brush I used that may have a little residue from being made. I agree that sending to Alden would likely result in a much darker shoe. I've learned a lot about what to look for in hides when getting a pair of cordovan. I'm convinced there were some type of issue with them from Alden that was covered up, but real hard to see until wearing them and getting creases. I feel with enough brushing it will even out somewhat. Ive seen a lot of SF members with whiskey that looks similar in color to the dark part of my shoes, I can live with that.

Hope everybody is having a great Monday...I've seen some great shoes over the weekend and today. Rather doing a bunch of posts I will say congrats to all of you!

See Ya,
    Steve

4. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

Was that de-glazing done on purpose? For what reason?

5. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Well-Known Member

Ah the apologists have arrived to explain that the crummy whiskey finish is the user's fault

6. rydenfan

rydenfan Well-Known Member

What was your purpose for this? I very curious why you would want to strip all the finish work off

1 person likes this.
  7. Shawnc

Shawnc Well-Known Member

No.

Exactly what I was thinking. I've got a little darkening in my whiskey LWB's but because I wear it as a more casual shoe, I really don't mind it. For some reason I'm not typically a fan of shortwings, but this shoe is beautiful. I really hopes it works out for the OP.

8. totalair1

totalair1 Well-Known Member

mtc2000-You are likely correct. I will say the Reno only got used after things started getting darker. The initial reason any of this happened is I wore a few times and the typical hazing occurred along the creases. I used a deer bone (which has oils in it) and a brush along with a clean cotton t-shirt and that's it. I think the deer bone oils had a lot to do with the darkening, and the brush too. Like I said I've learned a lot about lighter colored shell. Whats weird is this has not occurred on my whiskey NST which I used the deer bone and brush on. I have dedicated brushes for each color to try and avoid these issues.

See Ya,
    Steve

9. blue collar

blue collar Well-Known Member

Ah man you're killin me with those shots. They look like old CXL now :butbut:

10. blackboard_knowledge

blackboard_knowledge Well-Known Member

Thanks so much! I notice that the Indy boots at Trunk and The Next Door are E width only. Does this crosswalk to the US D width, or is this a true E width? Is the European foot on average wider than the US foot?

11. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

Yea...even Horween's finishing looks undone.

12. n-domino

n-domino Well-Known Member

Is it just me or has this thread established a precedent that stipulates Reno should be used to try and remedy everything? As a result, it will often be applied excessively when the wearer wants to "fix" an issue with the finish.

1 person likes this.
  13. anrobit

anrobit Well-Known Member

Are you talking about Renomat or Renovateur? The first is a pretty heavy duty cleaner that should only be used if you want to strip everything. The second is a cleaner/polisher/mild conditioner. I'd never use Renomat to try to fix minor issues with the finish.

14. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

^^ Did we clarify if we are talking about Reno-mat or Rennovateur? I think it needs to be specified in this case. Is it automatically assumed here that Reno = rennovateur?

Edit: anrobit beat me to the question.

15. n-domino

n-domino Well-Known Member

Renovateur

16. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Well-Known Member

I think whiskey is more partial to discolorations, spots, etc of this sort popping up. It's a risk with this color... Which it why it may be better off done with more casual styles like PTBs.

Reno is a conditioner and cleaner and should be used occasionally... When it comes to covering up imperfections and such, I continue to think Alden's paste wax (used sparingly) is underrated in this thread

With regards to the stripped tanker, why not just buy Indy boots or CXL tankers if you want that more casual look? I'm not one to tell someone else what he can do with his property, but still...

17. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Well-Known Member

So we're basically saying it's OK to potentially pay $800ish, wait for a few years and receive a product like that. Then ship it back to Alden on your own dime to have it refinished poorly (again, also on your own dime) or live with the results?

18. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

I think it's kinda hard to say without seeing what made the OP begin to think something was wrong and try to correct it.

19. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Well-Known Member

I have to agree with others here... if I want that raw, unfinished look of your tankers, I'll go with brown chrmxl. These shortwing bluchers look tremendous. Please tell me you did not do the same strip job to those wingtips??

20. bkotsko

bkotsko Well-Known Member

Very interesting.
    I assume you were going to a lightening effect.
    I hope you conditioned the bare shell after you stripped them.
    I would have applied the neutral cordovan shoe polish, if I didn't want to add any more color.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.