1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Psalmanazar

Psalmanazar Member

I just got some Alden 401s and found I didn't need to size down at all. I am an 12-12.5 and the 12 D fit me fine as I fit the arch length of the my foot like you're supposed to. They seemed a bit dry after wearing them for a day so I just applied Obenauf's Leather Oil inside and out.

What are signs of oversaturated leather? Parts of the leather lined insole where it dripped down have severe dark spots. How often should I oil them if I wear them heavily? Once very couple of months? Also, How long should I wait for them to dry before wearing them and how long until I put on the Obenauf's LP? Just overnight before wearing and then put the LP on them in a few days?

2. zippyh

zippyh Well-Known Member

My suggestion is to either find a local retailer to try some on or ordered a 7d from someplace with an easy return policy.

3. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

I would be quite surprised if you are a 8.5 on the Brannock and a 7D in the Trubalance last. If the LWB are on the Barrie last, I would recommend the same size as your Indys. I am an 8.5 on the Brannock and I wear an 8 in the Barrie and Trubalance. Sounds like you are 7.5 true to size.

4. brandall10

brandall10 Well-Known Member

I was actually measured as a 9b by a salesman from Nordstrom when purchasing my first nice shoes (Park Aves). He tried to fit me, saw how off I was, remeasured, got more shoes, etc, until we worked down to that 7.5d. Never in my life had I worn anything that was under an 8, have worn things up to a 9.5 (yes, all tennis, sports shoes, Dr. Martens etc). Again, I believe it comes down to heel fit and heel to ball-of-foot measument and what are elongated last shoes.

I do see that shoe mart has a liberal return policy so I'll probably try that route. I'm just concerned about the heel slip, knowing these have to be broken in with the double sole. A modified last or c width shoe might be preferable but are custom orders.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
  5. blue collar

blue collar Well-Known Member

I just talked myself out of these and you go and post this picture...:fu: Looking fantastic

6. EngProf

EngProf Well-Known Member

+1

I'm a TTS 7.5D and the 7D in the LWB is just right.

7. Shawnc

Shawnc Well-Known Member

Now that's a great story. Good luck.

8. blues4life

blues4life Active Member

First wear of the Christmas Gifts from my wife

[​IMG]
    Canali, Cashmere OTC, King PTB

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  9. BeSpiffington

BeSpiffington Well-Known Member

Oustanding combination sir. Congratulations on your new shells. Wear them in the best of health.

10. ironclad

ironclad Well-Known Member

Congrats, coinop! If I'm not mistaken, that pair (10.5D Ravello NST) has been up/visible on their website for at least a week. I was surprised to see them on there, and only listed in that size. The shoe gods have shined down upon you!

11. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

Just picked these bad boys up... Ravello PTB.

[​IMG]

-Mike

2 people like this.
  12. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

Tampa, those are some very nice Whiskey LHSes. I really like the color of those, it is somewhere between Whiskey and Ravello in my mind.

MrDV, those are some nice looking saddles. The grain leather provides an interesting texture contrast that helps make them pop.

Those are a very nice pair of boots. Glad that you were able to pick those up. Hope that the dimple is pretty high up and not a big deal.

-Mike

13. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Well-Known Member

^^^^ Heck of a wife you got there B4Life. She's a keeper! Enjoy often and in great health my friend!!

14. joekix

joekix Active Member

Do you guys know if Alden is on vacation? I emailed them about a week ago to get some boots restored and I haven't heard from them. I called too. Thanks in advance.

15. bkotsko

bkotsko Well-Known Member

Mike,
    If you need my address, let me know... haha
    Great catch.

16. ironclad

ironclad Well-Known Member

Mike, Unbelievable ptbs. Such a great shoe. Congrats, rock those babies in style. Dave

17. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Well-Known Member

I am enjoying my pair very much. Almost cigar, but not quite. Enjoy often and in great health my friend!

18. coinopcollector

coinopcollector Well-Known Member

I did notice after I ordered off the phone from Ed that there were a pair of 10.5 on the website and i tried to add them to my shopping cart. You could pick size but when I hit add to cart it didn't work.
    I wonder if they are the same pair of 10.5's that were on the irregular list a few weeks back.

19. BeSpiffington

BeSpiffington Well-Known Member

mdubs, great looking ptb's. When are you going to wear them?

20. FENWAY

FENWAY Well-Known Member

^ Looks like the old cigar....not that there's anything wrong with that

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.