1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Well-Known Member

^^

I would rage hard (as hard as a middle aged person upset over shoes could) if that blotch were there upon first opening..

that being said, the 'repair' seems suitable, but I have to wonder how the shoe will react to years of use/sun/etc.. whether the blotch will rear its head as the #8 tends to fade into the accustomed shade that #8 grows into typically

2. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

Yeah, I was wondering what the long term impact of this would be as well. Hope that it works out well for them! :)

-Mike

3. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Well-Known Member

all this #8 splotchiness talk has rumbled me enough to look over my pairs. I've always just opened the boxes, laced, and beat pavement.

4. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

The only splotchy ones I have are my Perf Tip. But they were seconds, so I just dealt with them. They actually have an almost Color #4 look to them, so I don't want to get them refinished in particular...

5. Man with Apple

Man with Apple Well-Known Member

Glad to be wrong! I always have loved Winn Perry's make-ups. I look forward to their shelves being stocked again!

Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
  6. Dino19

Dino19 Well-Known Member

I have that pair from them.

They should be opening very soon, probably early Jan 2014 as I received mailer from Jordan (Winn Perry) lately. Nice to see him back.

7. CEE88

CEE88 Well-Known Member

Regarding the color 8 "splotch" or "blotch" pics I posted earlier --

The blotches were barely visible -- but visible -- under normal light. Using flash photgraphy or under close inspection, you could definitely see the blotches. I feel like it was a pretty major flaw. From what I was told on this thread, the blotches would likely become more visible as the color 8 cordovan went through it's normal aging/lightening process. Alden never offered an explanation, only a solution (basically " send them to us and we'll take care of it"). Alden didn't simply dye the shoes a darker shade of color 8. You can go back and check the "after" pics I posted yourself, but to me it looks like Alden was able to remove the blotches (90-95%) in addition to redying the shoes. Opinions seem to run across the board on this matter but, for me, having Alden "repair" the shoes was the best solution - better than living with it or returning the shoes (doing an exchange for another pair with the seller would have been my top choice but it wasn't an option for this particular pair of shoes).

8. brp2

brp2 Well-Known Member

Same here. Sadly, I wasn't looking for the same type of items that I am now on the one occasion I made it to the old shop,

9. tigerpac

tigerpac Well-Known Member

Who knows how bright the factory is where they do QC. The amount of light makes a big difference on what you see.

10. tampatravel

tampatravel Well-Known Member

If you want to say with the Made in USA theme, THORLO makes a great boot sock. You can go as thin or as thick as you'd like.

https://www.thorlo.com/socks/trhxm/729

They're made in Statesville, NC.

It looks like they're still running their Buy 3 - Get 1 free sale...which is their biggest sale of the year by far.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
  11. tampatravel

tampatravel Well-Known Member

Whiskey looks great with a pair of cords or some denim...

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  12. MrDV

MrDV Well-Known Member

leffot saddles
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  13. Rishi Kakar

Rishi Kakar Well-Known Member

My vote goes to the 9901 in black shell. Its a really fine shoe. You wont regret it.

1 person likes this.
  14. poena

poena Well-Known Member

I have a brand new pair of tan suede dovers in 8.5.
    anyone want to trade for snuff suede? ptb or dover?
    :D

15. phototristan

phototristan Well-Known Member

Definitely an under-rated shoe (that means it's better than people give it credit for):

[​IMG]

16. coinopcollector

coinopcollector Well-Known Member

Just got confirmation and a tracking number from TSM that a pair of Ravello NST Boots, model 4030 are on their way to me. Since I am in Pa, I hope they might arrive so I can wear them out to dinner tomorrow night.

Here's how it happened. On Friday, on a whim, I called TSM and asked to speak to Ed. About a month ago I read here that TSM is expecting Ravello Brixton Boots in the next few months. I figured they were all spoken for (and they are) but I thought I would ask Ed to put me on the list as a back up (he agreed but said it was unlikely). Before we hung up I asked him if there was any Ravello NST or LWB in the house in a 10D or 10.5D. To my surprise he told me he had just sent a pair of 4030 NST boots back to the warehouse for return to Alden and he thought they were 10.5D but wasn't sure . He said there is a small, almost unnoticeable dimple in the leather "mid way up on the inside" (I'm not sure what that means exactly and I guess I'll find out). I offered my credit card, he took it and said he would confirm on Monday and only charge me if they were in fact my size. He also offered me a discount but not the usual irregular price. I'm pretty psyched and do hope the "dimple" is "almost unnoticeable".

I tried to find out why he had this boot and he suggested they had "a small run, like 18 pairs" of the model 4030 come in. Sounded like they came in and went out the same day. KInd of surprising though because I would think at least one person on this forum would have been in on such an order. Anyway, I'm not going to look my good luck horse in the mouth.
    I will update when the boots arrive.

17. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

^^ Wow! Nice score and good luck!

18. MrDV

MrDV Well-Known Member

Wow. Congratulations, sounds like a great find.

19. budapest12

budapest12 Well-Known Member

Please post pictures. Congrats.

20. brandall10

brandall10 Well-Known Member

So I'm in the mood for picking up some #8 long wings, but I'm nervous about sizing because I'm all over the place on nicer shoes...

Here's some fits

- 7d in indy boots (standard, trubalance - you guys nailed it on this!)
    - 7.5d in AE #5 (8c was almost as good, but 7.5d felt better)
    - 6.5e in C&J 348 and 337
    - 7.5d on LL Bean katahdins. Tried in 8 as well, I'm more in-between sizes on these, but I prefer being a bit snug to a bit loose.
    * Most tennis shoes I'm an 8.5, oddly enough.

* Technically I'm an 8.5c on a brannock device, but if I measure heel to ball of foot I come out to more like 7.75, and my heel is pretty narrow so I think my feet 'step back' a bit, which might explain why I'm such a small fit in 'dress' shoes. I also wear relatively thin socks, hey I live in SoCal

So what say you? 7d, 7.5c? My biggest worry is in the heel, I am narrow here, and while my indys fit like a glove, they are boots.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.