1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Well-Known Member

There is talk on this thread of selvedge denim from time to time. I found this video entertaining on an otherwise mundane Monday.

Don't Do This to Good Jeans -- Self Edge's Experts Bust Selvedge Myths - YouTube

2. calloyaddy

calloyaddy Active Member

Had this exact same conundrum--I've had to go TTS on the two barrie boots I have (the Naval and the Jcrew PCT). The Naval in 9.5D was especially tight for me. I've gone with a 10D, which fits well with dress and mid-weight socks and gives me ample toe room without being cavernous. Have not tried a 9.5E, though I expect the fit would be quite similar.

3. TheSizzle

TheSizzle Well-Known Member

*waddles back to shore*

What's that? I couldn't hear you over the sound of rubbing sand against my jawnz. Come check out my fades, bro.

4. onehotchili

onehotchili Well-Known Member

I know most folks here are into Shell, but I still have basically a brand new Epaulet x Alden Taunton Captoe Boot for sale in a 9D Barrie. I definitely will be ordering a 9.5D as soon as I can for just slightly more wiggle room for the toes :) With the commando sole, this is a killer winter boot!!!

5. TheSizzle

TheSizzle Well-Known Member

Those are absolutely stunning.

6. epc2

epc2 Well-Known Member

Not Alden related but like to hear Alden fans opinions.

What do you guys think of Paraboot shoes?quality? , I have my eyes on a pair but have never seen one in person .

Thanks.

7. blackboard_knowledge

blackboard_knowledge Well-Known Member

Thank you so much for the heads-up! The 20% worked on the color 8 cordovan boots! How often does one get a good deal on those?

8. undarted

undarted Well-Known Member

Speaking of size 8.5, I just posted a pair of Alden x Need Supply Church Hill boot in 8.5D, new in box, if anybody missed out on those. I feel sick letting them go :(

9. husbands

husbands Well-Known Member

anyone know who makes this cigar LWB?
    [​IMG]
    image from the seconds list - this one already sold

10. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Well-Known Member

Thanks Aldenwear.

UPDATE: As of earlier today I am told by Yenni that JGILBERT will be putting in an order request for this model: Black Shell NST boot, plaza last with commando sole. But It may take some time for Alden to confirm the order request.

2 people like this.
  11. zippyh

zippyh Well-Known Member

The ones I've handled seemed to be of good quality.

12. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Well-Known Member

Might just be the picture, but these look like Leffot's #8 LWB with antique edge to me. I'm not sure I've ever seen a Cigar LWB with a double oiled sole like the one in this picture, they are usually just standard double leather

13. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

+1. I believe they are Leffot's. I have these (not from TSM) and they are eerily close to cigar.

14. husbands

husbands Well-Known Member

I agree with both of you - I wonder why ShoeMart lists it as cigar

15. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

Thier list also lists it as in stock.....but....we all know that may not be entirely accurate! Ha!

16. tampatravel

tampatravel Well-Known Member

So that article in the WSJ titled "When all the shoes fit..." http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303497804579242313439812406?mod=e2fb

prompted my coworkers to come running to me with the cover story from the WSJ "Off Duty" section.

I was then grilled about the shoes I'm wearing today - well, they're not shoes - they're boots. They the Alden for J.Crew Cap Toe Shell Cordovan #8 Boots that I got from KWHITELAW.

Then someone shouted out...these boots from Leffot are Alden and they're $720!!

"Please tell me you didn't pay that much for them...you're sick if you did. SICK!"

Well that was awkward enough for the workplace, but then describing how I obtained them was more complex.

"Noooooo, I didn't pay that much for them - don't be silly. I got a good price on them"

"Well, how'd you do that??"

So...yes, I'm wearing shoes bought by a total stranger and sent to me in Florida, and I'm wearing them today.

17. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

^^ Thanks Tampa. I was hoping that article would be on the net somewhere. I saw it referenced on Leffot's Instagram.

18. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Well-Known Member

I talked to Steven at Leffot about that article on Saturday. Business seems to be booming in this segment. Whenever I am in that store, people are buying Edward Greens, Aldens, Gaziano and Girlings, etc like it's nothing. Pretty amazing that a store opened like that in 2008 during the recession and has thrived since.

19. fitchottie

fitchottie Well-Known Member

[​IMG]Little help. I normally wear 11.5 d in Indy so I went with 12 for the 1493. I don't think they fit?

Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
  20. Subutai

Subutai Well-Known Member

Would any of you experts be willing to provide your Van vs Barrie last sizing? I have seen the Alden of Carmel recs but would love to get a few real world examples...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.