1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bkotsko

bkotsko Well-Known Member

I have this exact makeup (in black shell) on MTO order right now. I expect them shortly (<2 weeks left), If you have trouble or want pics once I get them let me know.

2. prez

prez Well-Known Member

does Unipair ship to GREECE?

3. prez

prez Well-Known Member

~~does Unipair ship to GREECE?

4. prez

prez Well-Known Member

~~thanks. I have really come to appreciate Aldens. my collection is now over 20 pairs bought from European retailers mostly. i used to wear Tom Ford, Santoni, Churchs, Zegna & Hermes but really the quality cannot be compared. European shoes are slightly slimmer but when you get used to the shoe, the fitting & comfort are much better. which styles would you say are dressier & can be worn with a suit? i have been reading the thread the last few months & i have to sey the combinations you do with the Aldens are great & inspiring.

5. luzer

luzer Well-Known Member

help caring my Alden Indy Chromexcel in the modified last, please?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  6. docalden2013

docalden2013 Well-Known Member

Hanger Project recommends Saphir greasy leather cream for Chromexcel leather. Comes in various shades. You can probably darken the finish with their brown color. I've used it and it nicely moisturizes my Indys. I'm sure folks here are also using plain old Renovateur from saphir.

Of course, chromexcel ages nicely. You could just wipe them down and let a nice patina develop. Good luck!

7. docalden2013

docalden2013 Well-Known Member

B, I'd love to see pics when they arrive. I'm close to pulling the trigger! Wear them in good health, good sir.

8. jl70115

jl70115 Member

9. tampatravel

tampatravel Well-Known Member

I got mine in the mail last night too. The presentation of the box, card, and wallet was impressive.

I actually bought the smaller "Little New York" one that was a 2nd. I can't see anything wrong with it and I'd order another one in a heartbeat!

10. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Well-Known Member

It would be interesting to reach out to Alden specifically and ask this question. I know that some contend that they do use JR soles, but as Dbc0919 said, it's nearly impossible to find sources confirming this.

I have long believed that they don't use JR soles. Not only because of the lacking evidence from research and hands-on, and personal experience, but also due to a fact about JR that many may not be aware of. JR doesn't sell soles without the JR emblem emblazoned on them. DW Frommer (world class bespoke shoe and boot maker and SF member for those who don't know him) doesn't use JR because he doesn't want his shoes to have another company's logo on them. I don't see what the big deal is on that, since it's only the sole and it wears off anyway, but that's how he feels regardless. That said, Alden shoes don't have JR emblems on their soles, shell or calf. Every other manufacturer that uses them clearly have the emblem on the sole. Also, their soles are decidedly different in color and texture than any JR soles I've seen. Finally, in the Epaulet tour video of the Alden Factory, they show soles being soaked in a tanning solution that is shown by Mr. Tarlow at time 07:03: . Obviously those may not be the soles they use on shell shoes, but I haven't seen any visual difference between shell and calf soles on Alden shoes personally.

Just food for thought.

11. MrDV

MrDV Well-Known Member

ravello sw boots

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  12. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Well-Known Member

Great boots. Curious as to how you like these compared to your recently acquired Lindricks (the Lindrick may be one of the only opportunities many of us have again to buy a brownish wingtip cordovan boot)

13. rydenfan

rydenfan Well-Known Member

Slightly different but here are my AE cappuccino cordovan Bayfield boots with mini-lug sole.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. stewartu

stewartu Well-Known Member

Nice photo, mate. Good luck finding these. They are beautiful.

15. alexandchau

alexandchau Well-Known Member

My Alden Brothers,
    I'm looking to acquire a natty cxl shoe for casual everyday use in any weather and I'm trying to decide between these two models -
    [​IMG]
    Unionmade longwings on commando
    [​IMG]
    The Shoe Mart NST on double waterlock

Which one would you pick? I already own these styles in shell cordovan and like them equally. I'm also open to other suggestions as long as they have my size (8D) in stock! Thanks, guys!

16. BeSpiffington

BeSpiffington Well-Known Member

^^^ Longwings on commando. ^^^

1 person likes this.
  17. tigerpac

tigerpac Well-Known Member

Mine got lost in the mail... one of them was an xmas gift... merry xmas!

18. budapest12

budapest12 Well-Known Member

^ I don't own either and I don't have anything on the waterlock sole, but given the weather in our area, I'd be looking at commando soles for the type of shoe you are talking about. I just don't see the leather - oiled or not - being the shoe I'd consistenlty want to wear in snow or moderate-heavy rain. I know others disagree. Both are nice models.

19. zippyh

zippyh Well-Known Member

I'd get the longwings. BTW, I had a pair of those same NSTs that I ended up returning for other reasons but they fit noticeably larger than any other Barrie lasted shoe I have.

1 person likes this.
  20. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Well-Known Member

You present a very strong case, MWS.

To add another layer of mystery, the sole on my Mocha Kid Suede Tassels was/is not discernibly different from the soles on any of my shell Alden shoes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.