1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BeSpiffington

BeSpiffington Well-Known Member

Beautiful color on your Ravello LHS Uncle.

2. jkiu

jkiu Active Member

No.8 Parajumpers from Fransboone today (Grant)

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  3. totalair1

totalair1 Well-Known Member

No.8 Parajumpers from Fransboone today (Grant) Very nice boot! Congrats. See Ya, Steve

4. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

Those LHSes are rediculous. So beautiful....

5. tampatravel

tampatravel Well-Known Member

I managed to pluck these Cigar LHS off of eBay for a tidy sum of $203. I'm PUMPED!

I sniped them during the Lightning vs Rangers game I was at tonight. GO BOLTS!

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  6. 100 yrs

100 yrs Well-Known Member

with the end of the year approaching, what is everyone's favorite makeup of the year? either something that you were able to get or wish you had. maybe something you don't see that often (#8 w/antique edging), a re-stock of particularly nice shade of "rare shell", or just something that works well for you that you didn't think it would. this is the year i gave up chasing "classic/ timeless" dress shoes and focussed more on shoes that fit into my style/wardrobe

I think my faves that i've been able to acquire, which won't be forum favs because "not shell":
    - unlined cxl ptb (dover pattern).
    - 6-eyelet chukka brown suede, plaza last. really disappointed sizing didn't work out for me.
    - snuff roy boot.

fav i haven't gotten:
    frans boone plaza indy.

makeup i want in dream land 2014:
    whiskey indy boot, trubalance last, size 8.5D

Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
  7. szerwo

szerwo Well-Known Member

Quote:
    CXL indys. Like butter.

8. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

This has been a very Alden-y year for me. I have acquired the rare rainbow in LWBs and LHSes. Been exciting.

I really really love the Plaza Indy in Ravello from Fran's and the Whiskey Short Wing Balmoral. I am working to get them both next year. :)

-Mike

9. sqroot3

sqroot3 Well-Known Member

Anyone have any opinions about the color 8 chukka on flex welt versus commando versus standard oak sole? Contemplating getting the commando for light rain wear...

10. kentyman

kentyman Well-Known Member

Could someone run down the differences between the J.Crew perforated cap toe boot, the naval boot, and now this plain cap toe parajumper? It looks like only the J.Crew boot has speed hooks, only the parajumper isn't perforated, and perhaps the parajumper is on a different last? Which of these is 270 degree welted, and does anyone have good comparison pictures? Searching the thread is yielding surprisingly few results.

I'm not sure if it was always there, but I clearly see "EXCLUDED FROM PROMO" and "This item is excluded from all promotional discounts" when I add these to my cart. Has this always been marked so clearly? It's possible they noticed all the accidental coupon codes that were getting through and they implemented a more foolproof feature that will never allow coupon codes to work on these items, rather than needing to remember to mark each coupon code as not working on certain categories. I sure hope that's not the case.

11. hanoiboy

hanoiboy Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Ashland products rock!

1 person likes this.
  12. BeSpiffington

BeSpiffington Well-Known Member

Yeah, like butter. The Feibings neatsfoot oil I use on my cxl Indy's darkened the leather rather nicely, but not the stitching because the oil is essentially clear.

13. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Well-Known Member

I noticed this recently too, not just on Alden shoes but on other items (suits, Barbour, etc). It was not there before. They probably added some code to their website that allows items to easily be marked as ineligible for discounts.

14. McPryon

McPryon Well-Known Member

Nice! I agonized over going to $250 on those, but I've spent my allowance for the month already. I'm glad they went to another SF member, though. You'll have to post a report when you wear them.

15. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Well-Known Member

There are a ton of cordovan captoe boot models. I recommend collecting them in a variety of colors / soles. Don't forget black.

J Crew - color 8 (dark edge), Barrie last, perforated captoe, double leather sole, flat welt, speedhooks,
    Leffot Naval - color 8 (antique edge) / black, Barrie last, perforated captoe, double leather sole, flat welt, all eyelets
    Leather Soul - color 8 (dark edge) / cigar (antique edge), Trubalance last, perforated captoe, double waterlock sole, flat welt, all eyelets
    Alden NYC / The Shoe Mart / Citishoes - color 8 (dark edge) / black, Grant last, straight tip captoe, double leather sole, flat welt, all eyelets
    Alden DC - color 8 (dark edge) / black / cigar (antique edge), Grant last, straight tip captoe, commando sole, flat welt, speedhooks
    Alden SF - color 8 (dark edge) / black, Barrie last, straight tip captoe, double leather sole, flat welt, speedhooks
    J Gilbert - color 8 (dark edge), Plaza last, straight tip captoe, commando sole, flat welt, speedhooks
    Alden of Carmel - black, Barrie last, straight tip cptoe, commando sole, flat welt, speedhooks
    Frans Boone Parajumpter - color 8 (dark edge), Grant last, straight tip captoe, double leather sole, flat welt, speedhooks, brass hardware
    Tassels Hunting Boot - color 8 (dark edge) / black / ravello, Barrie last, straight tip captoe, double leather sole, flat welt, speedhooks
    Leffot Day Tripper - ravello, Grant last, straight tip captoe, double waterlock sole, flat welt, speedhooks
    Unionmade Goods Kirkwood - color 8 (dark edge), black, ravello, Barrie last, straight tip captoe, commando sole, flat welt, speedhooks

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  16. tampatravel

tampatravel Well-Known Member

Thank you for not doing that. I'm happy to buy them. The LHS fits me perfect. I wonder if the fella who sold them is an SFer.

This makes up for the Alden H404 I sold for $15 on eBay Sunday :angry:

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  17. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Well-Known Member

Thanks for this Alcibiades. Just for completeness, Unionmade calls theirs the "Kirkwood."

1 person likes this.
  18. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Well-Known Member

Nicely done. I look forward to seeing the rainbow.

19. katch

katch Well-Known Member

Quote:Hanoiboy - That is the Fat Herbie, correct? What do you think of the size? Can it go in your front pocket?

20. budapest12

budapest12 Well-Known Member

Just got charged for the #8 JCrew captoes that said back ordered through Feb 10. Sweet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.