1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

How do you like them, Alex?

2. totalair1

totalair1 Well-Known Member

I have absolutely zero of these makes ups, Nada, None, Zip! Congrats to you Mike...A man of all colors! :) I do have a whiskey SWB, and my recent Hanover find but that's it for me. I've tried, but to no avail...but I won't quit until I get there!

See Ya,
    Steve

3. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Well-Known Member

4. totalair1

Speaking of Horween stamps...have you noticed how the Ashland Leather shell wallets always seem to have the Horween stamp in the sweet spot? IMHO it's because the guys running Ashland Leather work at Horween during the day and just might get the opportunity to add a few extra stamps in the the right place! Besides the fact Ashland Leather makes awesome wallets, the added touch of a big fat Horween stamp in the sweet spot really enhances the product!

See Ya,
    Steve

5. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

Sorry Steve! I will let you know if I see anything in size enormous when I call around again... :)

I periodically sweep through the stores to see what they have in stock. A good way to build your shoe collection and deplete your budget... :)

Today, I found a pair of Whiskey LHS (CitiShoes) that are now in a box heading to San Diego... :) Very soon I will have LHS in Whiskey, Ravello, Cigar, and 8.

-Mike

Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
  6. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

Very nice sir! I am not a fan of saddle shoes, but those actually look very nice to me. And your lawn is looking as good as always! Its nice living in Southern Cali, right?

-Mike

7. blackboard_knowledge

blackboard_knowledge Well-Known Member

I am coming off of a pretty bad Alden bender and was hoping that you guys could share your worst Alden damage in a week to make me feel less bad about all of the children in Africa that could have been fed in lieu of my four new pairs of shells.

8. alexandchau

alexandchau Well-Known Member

They are super comfy out of the box, and yet feel much more solid than my unlined suede chukka, which I like [​IMG].

9. NYDRH

NYDRH Well-Known Member

Really like the look, very nice.

I have seen many models lately that I thought I would never consider for my own style but you guys have done a great job convincing me otherwise. Tassels definitely present a challenge to me, but I find myself coming around lately.

10. totalair1

Mike-For the most part you are on the same road I followed earlier this year. I got lucky and scored a lot of very nice whiskey, ravello, and cigar shoes. none were the LHS or LWB though. No boots either. I'm good to go in NST, Chukkas, and PTB of which I have all colors except no Whiskey PTB. In a very small way I guess it's good I did not find everything this year...breaking 5 figures is not for the faint of heart! congrats on your whiskey LHS score...I love the LHS in whiskey!

See Ya,
    Steve

11. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Well-Known Member

Earlier this year I purchased whiskey NST, cigar NST, color 8 balmoral wingtips and color 8 full strap LHS in three days. I ended up selling both NST (never wore the whiskey NST and wore the cigar NST around three times). The color 8s get consistent wear (especially the wingtips).

12. BeSpiffington

BeSpiffington Well-Known Member

Spending Monday afternoon watching "Raiders of the Lost Ark" on the SyFy channel, one of my favorite movies, where Harrison Ford sports some pretty iconic boots. [​IMG]. My life is so hard!

13. MrDV

MrDV Well-Known Member

thank you sir. I am on vacation this week. I get to take pictures in direct sunlight, I take most of my selfies before 7 am.

thank you. I have a few saddles, these get the most wear.

thank you sir. classic #8 saddles work well year round.
    thanks mike. yes, 72 degrees today.

thank you. I still cant bring myself to buy tassels or full strap loafers. if I had to, I would start with cigar or blue suede tassels.

14. MrDV

MrDV Well-Known Member

mike, the light edge ravello pair is awesome, very red in an awesome way. however, I think your (2 tone) cigar lwb takes first place.

15. MrDV

MrDV Well-Known Member

congratulations, I was lucky, they sold out of my size right away. no damage done.
    I know I shouldn't care, but I never get the horween shell stamp. I realize most my shoes are lined, but still, I should have more than 1.

16. MrDV

MrDV Well-Known Member

when I buy more than my share within a month, I think of zippyh. he gets multiple pairs or REALLY nice shoes every month.

17. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Well-Known Member

A lot of people seem to think tassels and full strap loafers are "old fashioned" or somehow age inappropriate.

Based on the poll from a few weeks ago, I'm on the younger side among forum members, and two of my earliest cordovan models were Leffot's ravello tassels and the Ralph Lauren Marlow tassels. Both are among my favorite (well "were" in the case of the Marlows until one of the tassels fell off). I think they are very versatile and look great broken in. My color 8 full straps are also great during the workweek. If I had to choose between the two styles, I would go tassels.

18. blackboard_knowledge

blackboard_knowledge Well-Known Member

That supports one of my hypotheses that, similar to wealth disparity, five percent of Alden shell enthusiasts own 80% of the Alden shells released.

Fortunately, for as bad as we think that we have it, Alden releases pale in comparison to things such as sneaker drops. I mean, no one has been killed over a Leather Soul drop (that I am aware of). However, that may change if they do something like a NST boot with commando sole in #4.

19. Shawnc

Shawnc Well-Known Member

First, those are slick. Hopefully I'm done buying shoes for a while but I would jump quickly and without hesitation on a pair of Ravello long wings with antique edging. Nice pickup. Now, about your delivery. Your message is so non-chalant. Like you just found a quarter on the cafeteria floor at work. If I found those shoes I would be screaming from the rooftops. That's a lot of cool for such a rare score. Enjoy.

20. tigerpac

tigerpac Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

#8 Plain toe high lace boots / commando sole from Alden of Carmel have arrived!

5 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.