1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mcarthur

mcarthur Well-Known Member

nephew,

looking good

2. mcarthur

mcarthur Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    ravello nst boot
    argyles otc
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  3. NYDRH

NYDRH Well-Known Member

I think the Dover Unlined PTB is amazing, and fit wise it worked much better for me than the lined version (the Barrie heel is a little sloppy for me). This is one of my favorite models, and I cant wait to see it in "the wild" with the antique edge. All they need to do now is make it in cigar.

4. NYDRH

NYDRH Well-Known Member

I would love a pair of these as well.................Love'em. Thanks for sharing

5. GooseG

GooseG Well-Known Member

Gents,

quick update for anyone curious. I just got off the phone with epaulet. Their natural CXL longwings, right now, are indeed on the Barrie last. They made a change with their most recent order- previous versions were on the Leydon last though.

6. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Well-Known Member

I think you should. :nodding:

7. phototristan

phototristan Well-Known Member

Does the unlined PTB fit the same as lined or do people size up?

8. epc2

epc2 Well-Known Member

Hi Guys,

Quick sizing question.

I wear 10d in Barrie and 10.5 in the BB wingtip(Plaza or M58), the 10d in the Barrie fits me well but doesn't feel huge like some people say, so basically I'm on the wide side of "D" width.

I've never tried an Abeerdeen shoe and I'm looking at a pair of Tassel loafers, should I go TTS 10.5d or 10E?

Thanks.

9. docalden2013

docalden2013 Well-Known Member

[​IMG] I've been reading the EG appreciation thread over the last month, trying to learn what I can about lasts and colors. I have a feeling that once you pop, you can't stop. That said, I have a question for those that own both Alden and EG: do the EGs fill a different niche than your Aldens do? The reason for my hesitation to go all EG-wild is that I'm not sure if some of their lasts and shapes are a bit daintier than the Aldens, which are at the neat nexus of being dressy enough and elegant enough without being too delicate, foppish, dandyish or try-too-hard-ish. Can someone help me arrive at a more subtle understanding, if only to help me not delve into the realm of $1k+ shoes that aren't even shell...Thanks!

10. hoit1981

hoit1981 Well-Known Member

Uncle, fantastic boots! Always your most inspirational as far as I'm concerned. I can but dream.

11. NYDRH

NYDRH Well-Known Member

I researched this one to death not too long ago, and settled on going up a width but in the end I didnt like that fit so I stayed with my typical Barrie size. Most of what I read was that it was a bit more "snug". The fit for me relative to my usual Barrie size is preferred because I do feel in general that the Barrie last is just not ideal for my foot.

12. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Well-Known Member

It fits "more snug" than the lined but not enough to change sizes IMO. FWIW I feel the same way about Barrie boots, and many do size up in Barrie boots, so YMMV

Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
  13. KT88

KT88 New Member

Thank you, sir!

14. phototristan

phototristan Well-Known Member

Thanks, good info.

15. blackboard_knowledge

blackboard_knowledge Well-Known Member

You wear my exact sizes, and I will tell you that I wear a 10.5 C in the Aberdeen. It seems strange to me that I am a C width, as like you, I have a normal-to-wider sized foot. But, the good folks at Alden DC fitted me with almost everything (except 10 E, which they did not have in stock), and the 10.5 C fit best. The Aberdeen loafers are tricky, as they have a tapered toe and, in my opinion, a wider instep. If it were a softer material, like suede, I might have gone with a 10 D and let the toe stretch a little. But, I figured that that was not the smartest choice with something heartier, like cordovan.

So, TL; DR: 10.5 C. With that said, if you are like me and want to use the 30% off Brooks Brothers corporate discount today, Brooks Brothers is out of the 10.5 C. So, I purchased the 10 E and am keeping my fingers crossed.

16. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Well-Known Member

Why not 9D (see my sig)

In all seriousness though, I would guess 10E. The Aberdeen is narrow in the toe box, if that gives you any better of an idea.

17. Don L

Don L Well-Known Member

I go up .5 for Aberdeen with good result.

18. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Many here are big fans of Alden suede and Chrmxl, but not a whole lot of love for calf.

1 person likes this.
  19. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Well-Known Member

Thank you Uncle.

20. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info, I wasn't aware they switched from Leydon to Barrie for this model. Good news for you! That's too bad for me tho, I really like the Leydon and was hoping to order these at some point when they restocked. If it's on Barrie now, I can only wear it if it's a narrow width, which Epaulet doesn't carry.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.