1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheSizzle

TheSizzle Well-Known Member

If their prices weren't 40-50% higher than domestic ones, that might be a good deal, but, like you said, they only come close to US pricing when the discount is factored in.

Edit: It's not even a discount. They just remove the VAT from your purchase, which is standard.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
  2. Don L

Don L Well-Known Member

#8 NST Plaza Boot

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  3. totalair1

totalair1 Well-Known Member

I don't think Alden incurs a higher cost of production for rare shell colors...except the cost of the shell itself from Horween. I think shell has different ratings to the quality of the hide, and I know that lighter color shell is harder to manufacture and dye. Anybody that owns a lighter colored shell shoe or boot has seen slight imperfections in the hide itself, darker and lighter areas, splotching, stains, etc. all on never worn product. Therefore its my opinion lighter colored shell costs more to produce the hide compared to black and #8. It's no different than buying a choice cut of meat vs. prime. All types of exotic hides are rated for quality. Alligator is a great example, theres all types of alligator belly...some of it fairly stiff and cheaper, some is garment quality and very soft and more expensive.

While Alden likely does not incur a higher cost of production for rare shell colors, I do believe they have more rejects in the rare colors. These shoes are hand made, its easy to get spots on light colors during production...oil from the machines, spots from glue, spots from stains used to color the welts. All of that has to be factored into the costs.

While many consider #8 to be the King of colors, and black a base staple...both of those colors are very forgiving when it comes to covering small defects and color variances.

See Ya,
    Steve

4. stevent

stevent Well-Known Member

There is VAT deduction and another 20% off, $458 for say this boot: http://tres-bien.com/brand/alden/cap-toe-boot-suede-beige

5. N YMutt

N YMutt Member

I read somewhere that lighter colors require more perfect skins and shells because darker colors mask some flaws, so, if that's true, production costs might be higher for the lighter colors. As for mark-up on cordovan in general as opposed to calf,I really have no idea, but, all other things being equal, I would expect that Horween's dominance of the market for cordovan leather would put pressure on Alden's margins, depending, I guess, on how much competition Alden has from AE and other makers who rely on Horween. If Carmina competed more aggressively in the US, then consumers would probably benefit on price, though it's also possible that quality would suffer if each competitor cut corners to get prices down. Increasing demand for luxury items often results in a decline in quality.

6. TactileOne

TactileOne Well-Known Member

It's extremely easy to scroll through anything you find less than meaningful. Sad that such a small thing makes you uncomfortable. Many of us here probably had older family friends that were thought of as uncles, imparting wisdom and good advice.

7. neutrino

neutrino Well-Known Member

That and a lot of other models are marked as being E width, are they really only stocking those in E or is that their way of saying that the last fits wide?

8. TheSizzle

Well, how about that...

I guess I never put it in my cart to check. If I needed white suede Indy boots, I'd be happy, but that's pretty much all they have in my size.

9. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

Does need really truly ever come to play when purchasing Aldens?

-Mike

10. TheSizzle

That's true, but at this point, I don't even think I want them, blasphemous as that sounds.

11. totalair1

+1 for me!

I think part of the problem these days is many people don't understand anything about relationships, specially the young bucks! Seems like all connection with people is via IM, Facebook, and Twitter. Unfortunately...Traditions, Respect, and Gratitude are things that many people fail to acknowledge are important. Personally...I initially had a hard time understanding who was Uncle ad how you qualified to be a Nephew, but now that I understand it, it makes sense to me. I think its safe to say Uncle Mac has forgot more about Alden's that most of us will ever know. He's shown more rare MTO than anyone I've ever seen on this forum, his info when shared is always spot on and I find him a valuable resource.

See Ya,
    Steve

12. totalair1

No more than a junkie needs his fix!

See Ya,
    Steve

13. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Well-Known Member

14. GooseG

GooseG Well-Known Member

Okay, another question:

Commando, or double waterloc? More concerned with water resistance than durability.

15. ReppTiePrepster

Great looking make-up... I think I would actually wear this more frequently than any of my LWBs. Very tempting!

16. smoothie1

smoothie1 Well-Known Member

Need certainly can come into play when purchasing Aldens, particularly shell cordovan pairs. If the shoes are well cared for and worn after at least one day of rest, Alden shell cordovan shoes are extremely durable and can basically last indefinitely with resoling. I know super conservative old school business guys, who have maybe three pairs of Alden dress shoes they rotate; that's it. While many of us enjoy shoes and have collections that surpass a meager three pairs, I think it would be fair to say a person who wears conservatively styled dress shoes needs only two or three pairs.

Also, I purchased my first pair of Alden #8 LHS circa 2003, which I recognize, makes them nearly new compared to some featured in this thread. I have sent them for resoling through Alden's factory restoration twice, which I think is a good service. Because these LHS are my favorites, and I wear them frequently, whether that means through rain or sleet or snow, I became sick of resoling with leather and opted for a Dainite sole (installed by a reputable place that gets the occasional mention on the forum) for my third sole in a decade. Anyhow, with the Dainite soles, the shoes have become unbelievably hard wearing, meanwhile the uppers still look brand new. Shoes are made to be worn, so no matter how many pairs you have, I think you ought to wear them and enjoy them.

Cheers.

17. GooseG

GooseG Well-Known Member

That's exactly what triggered my question above!

It's either the Leffot makeup with double waterloc and blind eyelets, or this commando make-up with agatine.

They'd be worn with denim and chinos almost exclusively, so formality isn't really such of an issue.

18. ReppTiePrepster

One last bit of yelling... [​IMG] (jk btw) How do you know there are many others that are creeped out and silenced by uncle-nephew exchanges?? Is there a population of you dissidents that pm each other of your persecution? Maybe you should make a new thread?? I am saying this in complete fun. I do hope you feel comfortable enough to stay on. All the best...

19. BeSpiffington

BeSpiffington Well-Known Member

^^^ RTP, there you go intimidating and yelling at people again. Why can't you just talk about your issues in a calm and rational manner?

20. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

I think the eyelets seal the deal on that make-up, regardless of sole. Love the agatine eyelet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.