• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwhitelaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
brethren... weather cleared up a bit so I dusted off some indys.. somehow I developed a nice little scratch, as seen below..

brushing has done nothing.. I do not possess a deer bone but will procure one if need be.. polish? never tried using any..
thanks in advance

totalair1

Reaction score
I just got my deer bone and it took out scratches similar to yours. It also does a good job of adding fat, or whatever in the bone to the hide. Works great! Just be sure you use the smooth part of the bone. Mine has a few rough spots that can cause scratches. I'm going to try some sand paper to smooth out the rough spots unless members Have a better idea.
Congratulations to those lucky enough to have cigar shell shoes and boots...I'm yearning for them!
I might get a pair of Rancourt loafers in shell cordovan in a real dark brown similar to Cigar, its called Expresso. Any feedback how their casual loafers compare to Alden?
See Ya,
Steve

Last edited:

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just got my deer bone and it took out scratches similar to yours. It also does a good job of adding fat, or whatever in the bone to the hide. Works great! Just be sure you use the smooth part of the bone. Mine has a few rough spots that can cause scratches. I'm going to try some sand paper to smooth out the rough spots unless members Have a better idea.
Congratulations to those lucky enough to have cigar shell shoes and boots...I'm yearning for them!
I might get a pair of Rancourt loafers in shell cordovan in a real dark brown similar to Cigar, its called Expresso. Any feedback how their casual loafers compare to Alden?
See Ya,
Steve

I have a pair of Rancourt boots in espresso shell. Their shell is not quite the same as Aldens. Still nice, (still Horween) but not the same.

Just to give you a heads up so you aren't surprised if you get them.

(Yes, we know, Alden does some special finishing step to their shell in house. Rancourt dyes their Espresso shell in house. Thank you.)

I would say it is more of an alternative to Alden shell than a substitute.

totalair1

Reaction score
Thanks for the fast reply. I see Rancourt as an alternative mainly in the casual loafer arena. I'm not saying they are better than Alden...but I do think Rancourt are well made and fill a void while Alden runs over the top back-logs. I'm just happy Rancourt has a few shell colors not available anywhere else at this time and you get your shoes in about 30 days

See Ya,
Steve

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

brethren... weather cleared up a bit so I dusted off some indys.. somehow I developed a nice little scratch, as seen below.. brushing has done nothing.. I do not possess a deer bone but will procure one if need be.. polish? never tried using any.. thanks in advance
Saphir shell cordovan cream in color "cordovan" should take care of that.

caseylee

Reaction score
Hi all,

I apologize if this question has been answered and beaten to death elsewhere, but there seems to be varying opinions and I'm still a bit confused. How does the Leydon last (e.g. in the unlined suede chukkas) compare to the Barrie last (in the various calf and shell LWB)? My starter Alden collection consists of 3 calf LWB, 1 suede LWB, 1 shell LWB, 1 shell captoe boot, and 1 suede unlined blucher, all of them in the Barrie last. They're all 8Ds and I'm pleased with the fit; I wear dress socks with them most of the time.

I am now wanting the unlined snuff suede chukkas (as sold by Shoemart, Unionmade, etc.) to round out the collection but unsure of the size that I should order (at least initially so I can try them on). I've Googled and have read varying opinions on how the Leydon fits and compares to the Barrie. Some say to size down a half and order up in width (i.e. 7.5E compared to 8D in the Barrie), some say to stay the same but order up in width (i.e. 8E), and others say order up a half size and up in width (i.e. 8.5E). Yet others recommend to stay with the 8D, as they'll stretch a little.

Looking for some sincere experiences from those that have both the Leydon suede chukkas and Barrie LWB. What do you recommend, from your experience, in terms of sizing and width for the Leydon chukkas if I'm an 8D in the Barrie (and wearing dress socks with them or no-show thin socks in the summertime)?

Thank you kindly in advance.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi all, I apologize if this question has been answered and beaten to death elsewhere, but there seems to be varying opinions and I'm still a bit confused. How does the Leydon last (e.g. in the unlined suede chukkas) compare to the Barrie last (in the various calf and shell LWB)? My starter Alden collection consists of 3 calf LWB, 1 suede LWB, 1 shell LWB, 1 shell captoe boot, and 1 suede unlined blucher, all of them in the Barrie last. They're all 8Ds and I'm pleased with the fit; I wear dress socks with them most of the time. I am now wanting the unlined snuff suede chukkas (as sold by Shoemart, Unionmade, etc.) to round out the collection but unsure of the size that I should order (at least initially so I can try them on). I've Googled and have read varying opinions on how the Leydon fits and compares to the Barrie. Some say to size down a half and order up in width (i.e. 7.5E compared to 8D in the Barrie), some say to stay the same but order up in width (i.e. 8E), and others say order up a half size and up in width (i.e. 8.5E). Yet others recommend to stay with the 8D, as they'll stretch a little. Looking for some sincere experiences from those that have both the Leydon suede chukkas and Barrie LWB. What do you recommend, from your experience, in terms of sizing and width for the Leydon chukkas if I'm an 8D in the Barrie (and wearing dress socks with them or no-show thin socks in the summertime)? Thank you kindly in advance.

Get 8.5E.

Michael Haines

Reaction score

See Ya,
Steve

I have that exact loafer and live it but it is a diffrent shoe from Alden

sazon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking sharp gentlemen, looking sharp all around.

#4 Captoe boot today

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Getting ready for another day of rain.
These were from last night, taken after a good brushing, and coat of Leather Defender.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads