1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. docalden2013

docalden2013 Well-Known Member

Funny. Despite my love for shells, I find the luck factor increases on date nights whenever I'm wearing either the blue cxl Greenwich wt boots or, gasp!, Frye harness boots. Dear wife doesn't appreciate the lustre or patina of shell...

2. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Well-Known Member

I don't have the 975 (I used to, but sold it a while ago). I do have a pair of the color 8 longwings in antique sole from Leffot. I really find little or no overlap between the two. The Brooks Brothers wingtip are on a sleek last (noticeably sleeker than the Tremont used in the Alden branded balmoral wingtips) and have a dark sole. It is a true dress shoe. My antique longwings are really a casual shoe that works best with denim, chinos and some flannels.

Comparing the classic 975 to the Brooks Brothers wingtip, again, the Brooks Brothers wingtip is a dress shoe really meant to be worn with suits, gabardine pants, etc. The 975 is more of a casual shoe, though it can also be worn with suits. However, the BB wingtip is much better with suits. If you wear suits multiple times a week, I really can't recommend the BB wingtips enough. The 975 can be relegated to Friday and weekend duty. The difference between the two models go well beyond length of wing - last, balmoral vs blucher, welt, height of sole, etc.

3. thebeebs

thebeebs Well-Known Member

^ Thanks guys for the explanation. I'll be sure to remember these differences when I explain the same to my wife [​IMG]

4. budapest12

budapest12 Well-Known Member

1) I'm enjoying all the pics of rare shell (and heretofore unseen by me models in #8) that have popped up on Shoe Mart. They're all out of stock, so it's kind of odd that they'd post them (kind of like taunting us), but it's cool to see everything. Kind of an Alden e-museum.

2). Those natty cxl perf. captoe boots are up on JCrew. Pretty disappointed by only 2 pictures and the description of leather soles when they are obviously commando.

5. BeSpiffington

BeSpiffington Well-Known Member

Ravello gunboats for a Thursday [​IMG]

6. GooseG

GooseG Well-Known Member

Hmm... sounds like CXL is just a lucky leather.

But the question is, navy or brown? I've got a date tonight, and it's either these:

[​IMG]

Or these:
    [​IMG]

7. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

Those look fantastic! Can't wait to break mine in!

8. stevent

stevent Well-Known Member

Indy boots man, every girl likes them My gf doesn't but she saw my other shooz before too so not an issue

Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  9. GooseG

GooseG Well-Known Member

LOL, all she wanted to do was knock boots at that point!

After yesterday's brief talk about lacing, I realized that my compulsions go far enough that I don't notice them. Right boot, right over left lacing..left boot, left over right.

I'm scared of buying more shell because I'll never stop brushing and buffing them.

10. totalair1

totalair1 Well-Known Member

11. CEE88

CEE88 Well-Known Member

GooseG, as you're buffing and brushing all your shell, you'll be wondering what you used to do with all your free time.

1 person likes this.
  12. hoit1981

hoit1981 Well-Known Member

Hmmm... Maybe she knows what you paid for your shells, and this is her way of punishing you?

13. CEE88

CEE88 Well-Known Member

Congrats Don, that is a great club to join. What is your plan for wearing them -- suits? casual wear?

14. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Well-Known Member

Continuing this train of thought, we should run a poll of which Alden shoes get the best reaction from wives/girlfriends/girls at bars/any other potential love interests. Similar to a huge thread on Basenotes (the cologne forum) on "Which cologne gets the most female compliments." Everyone list their top three.

1) Leffot Navy CXL Greenwich Boot (almost every time)
    2) Cigar Captoe Boots
    3) Leffot Color 8 / Alpine Grain Saddles

Other good ones are color 8 wingtip boots, Leffot antique color 8 longwings, and ravello tassels. Black captoe boots too.

My old CXL longwings probably would win this contest. I sold them and am getting tan suede longwings, which probably will get similar results.

15. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

Nice boots, Don. Which model are those? Care to share more pics??

16. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

I have only ever gotten complimented one one pair of shoes. My whiskey LWB. Almost everytime I wear them.
    My wife's favorite pair of mine seems to evolve. At first her favorite pair were my Alden CXL PTBs. Now it is my whiskey LWB. She likes my #8 Indys too...

17. aldenwear

aldenwear Well-Known Member

The longwinv, being a blusher and on barrie last, is more casual than the short wing which is a Balmoral and on a slimmer, more formal, last. The short wing can go more comfortably with suits and the long wing can go more casual than the shortwimg.

There is some overlap but, be real. Particularly here, you know these are two wildly different shoes and you need both.

enjoy

18. Don L

Don L Well-Known Member

I've been a member for quite a while. Was commenting on the number of #8 boots being worn today. I wear them both casually and with sports coat/slacks or suit

These are the AF79 from Adam at Alden Carmel.

19. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

I agree. I do not consider a longwing blucher and a shortwing balmoral redundant. Even in the same color. Two different shoes with different uses. You need both without a doubt!

20. totalair1

totalair1 Well-Known Member

Don't forget all the Indy accessories too! Women love that jacket and hat combo!

See Ya,
    Steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.