1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smoothie1

smoothie1 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the information, Steve. I was on the fence, but decided to forge ahead; what the heck. The representative with whom I spoke, checked with Ed and got the green light for my pre-order for the LHS in Ravello. I am not sure whether this directly contradicts what you have heard on pre-orders, but this was my experience.

I suppose I will have time to mull this purchase, as they are not expecting delivery or Ravello until next year. Cheers.

2. stuffstuff

stuffstuff Member

So I'm looking at a pair on ebay, but they don't seem to have any info about the last it's built on. There is a pic of the interior of the shoe where it gives the shoe size though... is there a code for each different last?

Here's what it says,

8.5 B/D 7J/6 002 7

3. coinopcollector

coinopcollector Well-Known Member

FYI, I got an email from Voltaire at Citi Shoes today letting me know they have a Whiskey LHS in 10D. I was looking for Ravello and am not interested in them.

4. Dr. D

Dr. D Well-Known Member

From the info you posted the model number is 2816

If you google "Alden 2816" you get a link to Alden SF, which will tell you these are burnished dark tan calfskin on the plaza last.

5. katch

katch Well-Known Member

Google = Magic

1 person likes this.
  6. Waterloo 360T

Waterloo 360T Well-Known Member

Really? I'm on a J Gilbert pre-order from Feb 2012! No word on a production date yet.

J

7. rydenfan

rydenfan Well-Known Member

It is just a list of names, nothing more. Alden has not confirmed it.

8. stuffstuff

stuffstuff Member

Thanks for the info..wasn't sure what the numbers meant.

9. budapest12

budapest12 Well-Known Member

^ Right. Pre-orders are nice, but unconfirmed pre-orders for rare shell are like magical space elves. To be believed only when seen.

10. green garden

green garden Well-Known Member

I have a GC Thomas monk in 7.5D UK. I wear 8 C Barrie and 8.5C Aberdeen. Brannock is 8.5C. In terms of length, the UK 7.5 is almost the same, if not a tad longer than US 8.5. But the UK D narrow I think tends to be more voluminous than what I'm used to in US C. But this may be because the Thomas is a monk and my Aldens are all lace-ups. I just wear slightly thicker socks with the Thomas (not the outdoor ones).

Will from LS gives out good advise. I was in the same boat about not knowing whether to risk buying a pair without the return option. I'm glad I did.

11. Subutai

Subutai Well-Known Member

Those look great, thanks for the photo! Even better at 20% off!

12. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

Smoothie,

I started that pre-order of Ravello LHSes back last January. They are being manufactured right now, started roughly mid-September I think and are expected in January or February of 2014.

-Mike

13. Subutai

Subutai Well-Known Member

Thank you gentlemen! Was happy to participate in Whiskey Wednesday, great midweek holiday

Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
  14. mcarthur

mcarthur Well-Known Member

welcome to the forum use break in method

15. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

Thanks! You did well too! Its my new favorite day of the week... I really wonder if anyone will ever notice that I wear Whiskey every Wednesday. Doubt it.

-Mike

16. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Well-Known Member

How on earth did you accomplish this? Other retailers have had Ravello models on pre-order for 3+ years that haven't been confirmed by Alden yet. Seems a little far-fetched that a pre-order from last January is already expected for delivery in just a few short months from now.

17. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

I think it is a matter of luck. Vendors get a allotment of shell each year from what I can tell. They can do with it as they please. Sometimes you can urge them in a certain direction if you get lucky.

-Mike

18. harveyrabbit

harveyrabbit Well-Known Member

Does anyone do a #8 cap toe on Barrie or Grant with a commando sole?

19. budapest12

budapest12 Well-Known Member

^ Alden DC does them on Grant. Not sure about stock right now, though. Worth a call in. I may check that option out --- that or the JCrew #8 boot I ordered. Thinking I may prefer the commando sole, though.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
  20. smoothie1

smoothie1 Well-Known Member

I'll say this, for what it is worth: the person with whom I spoke at the ShoeMart was especially confident that the order was forthcoming from Alden, after she checked with the boss/proprietor at ShoeMart. I am a bit skeptical that there are pre-orders that have been open for the alleged 3+ years. If there are, I would attribute such a situation to a retailer waiting to submit their order to Alden for production--perhaps because they have failed to meet minimum order requirements, or to create buzz/anticipation.

I sincerely believe the rarity of Whiskey, Ravello, and Cigar, not to mention color #4 shell, to be overblown on this thread and in the general marketplace. When I have stopped by the Alden Shop in DC, they always have a selection of Whiskey and Cigar in a few different models.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.