1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rydenfan

rydenfan Well-Known Member

really interesting. Thanks for sharing. I wonder why all the shell range has gotten darker over the last few batches? Cigar is now dark enough that I don't know why it wouldn't be as readily available as #8.
    I tried on a pair of cigar chukkas 2 years ago at Alden NYC that could have almost passed for a green cordovan there was so much olive undertone. Still probably the best looking shells I have seen in person but unfortunately they were too big for me.

Congrats again and they should age incredibly well.

2. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

I agree on all points, Ryden. Evidenced further by the Cigar LWB posted by ElArgentino a couple pages back. They almost look like my Whiskey LWB.

Seems like everything is getting darker. Maybe so they can use a wider range of qualities of shell?

Last edited: Nov 10, 2013
  3. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Well-Known Member

I hope that whatever cigar pair I eventually get -- thinking chukka or LWB -- is as dark as this pair, both because I like it, and because I got a pair (PTB) of the latest batch of dark ravello, and would like it to be distinct.

4. BootSpell

BootSpell Well-Known Member

Question --- I just ordered some boots from Leffot that have "flex" soles. All my boots thus far are double oak leather or double waterloc leather soles. Is a flex sole (or I've seen it called flex welt, same thing?) simply a single waterloc sole?

5. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Well-Known Member

To me color 8 and cigar are just different colors. I have seen both light and dark color 8 recently and the same with cigar (my recent cigar captoes are quite light). Color 8 is burgundy / purple and cigar is chocolate brown / olive...

Ravello has appeared darker recently and that is good IMO. I've seen some orange ravello that looked strange. Whiskey seems pretty consistent to me

6. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

I think they may be one in the same. I love my PTB on the flex sole.

7. Nakedsnake

Nakedsnake Well-Known Member

Thanks for the insight guys. Im building up my funds, and my next shoe should be the Alden Jcrew Cap toe boot. I'm a 12D in the dalton (a touch snug) so 11.5D should be great.

Thanks again

Last edited: Nov 10, 2013
  8. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

Yup, the flex sole is a single water lock sole.

-Mike

9. coinopcollector

coinopcollector Well-Known Member

This may be heresy to say on this forum but this has been on my mind for some time and I wanted to get it out there and see what others think. It seems to me that today's Alden Shell, from color 8 on down is much different than it had been in the past. I'm not just referring to the shading variations. By this I mean that in the past you had the shell/leather that was stained and you could sense or see the essence and actual character of the leather underneath the stain, including subtle hues, highlights and differences. Now, at least as it relates to color 8 and recent cigar that I have seen, it almost appears as if the color or die has been thickly painted on to the shoe. It looks thick and you can't sense any of the subtleties/shading of the actual shell underneath. The best way that I could describe it is that the stain/color is almost a hard and thick coating.
    I also have AE and C &J Shell Cordovan shoes and I don't think it is the same with their shell. I know many here are of the opinion that nobody finishes shell like Alden, but I simply don't agree. While I do prefer many of Alden styles, especially over AE (I really dislike the profile of the Macneil LW B), I do not agree that Alden's shell finishing is superior. What do others think?

10. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

I have only been into Alden shell for a short time, but every Alden shell I have handled is far superior to any AE shell I have handled.

11. sazon

sazon Well-Known Member

Tif & BKotsko : great looking PTBs. Congrats!

12. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

Based on pics I have seen from members like Mac and MrDV, etc. I do agree with this.

13. dslonghorn4

dslonghorn4 Well-Known Member

I know this is blasphemy but I like your Leeds better than this batch of Cigars.

14. dslonghorn4

dslonghorn4 Well-Known Member

Naked and Famous, Left Hand Twill, Slim Guy.

15. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

Not blasphemy. Everyone is entitled to their opinions!

16. budapest12

budapest12 Well-Known Member

^ Even if those opinions just happen to be blasphemous.

17. El Argentino

El Argentino Well-Known Member

I respect the opinion, Coin and Tifosi.

I think though that the comparison of a brand new shell shoe, 1-2 wears out of the box against Mac's Cigar shortwings, or ravello LHS isn't the best comparison though - a lot of that subtle "shading, stain, and character" comes as a result of wearing the shoe and brushing it up for years on end. I think it's the patina you're seeing that deepens the color, makes the shell seem more "transparent" than when they leave the factory freshly done up.

18. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

This is true, EA. My whiskey LWB look different then when I first bought them and they have only been worn 15-20 times. I can't wait for these cigars to patina!

19. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Well-Known Member

Concerning ravelllo, I'll admit I'm more a fan of the last batch. the jcrew LWB I had to send back were the perfect shade. much preferred over the shade of LWB and PTB I recently acquired (not a big enough concern to keep from wearing though of course)

jcrew

[​IMG]

LWB and PTB from DC and NYC

[​IMG]

20. BootSpell

BootSpell Well-Known Member

Thanks guys. I thought as much.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.