1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stevent

stevent Well-Known Member

Dumb and noob question but wearing my first new pair of raw denim in 18 months and was wondering if indigo transfer is an issue on shell? Didn't really own anything other than Indys when I broke in my last pair

2. BWV988

BWV988 Well-Known Member

Nice cigars. Lydiard lacing looks good on these.

3. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Well-Known Member

I don't think you'll need to be too worried about the indigo bleeding onto shell, however I've only personally done this with #8 shoes so I can't speak from experience regarding the lighter shell colors. Suede one the other hand, unless you like that lived-in patina look, I definitely wouldn't wear while breaking in new raw denim.

4. tampatravel

tampatravel Well-Known Member

You can certainly get some bleed over on suede shoes FYI

5. El Argentino

El Argentino Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Cigar LWBs

3 people like this.
  6. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

^^ Gorgeous. Someday...

7. Shawnc

Shawnc Well-Known Member

As others have said, Alden will only resole with what the original sole is but there are many credible options available. Alden is commando is different from any other I've seen and is hands-down my preferred choice of soles, regardless of shoes. The profile is so low-key that unless you are doing hand stands no one will know you are wearing them. And in my opinion, they are unparalleled for comfort. I have short wings in commando, longwings in both leather and crepe soles and while the crepe is nice, alden commando is my number one. Here is a picture of my shortwings on commando. Hope this helps.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. Shawnc

Shawnc Well-Known Member

Classic indeed. Very nice, ensemble, shoes, and shine. Well done.

9. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Well-Known Member

Pretty amazing how different your LWBs look from my LWBs. Who knew welt and sole edge colors had such an impact on how a shoe looks.

10. Rais

Rais Well-Known Member

Truly timeless. This is the kind of shoe that will never go out of style.

11. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Well-Known Member

Regarding the above discussion on Commando, I too really like them (and it is easily my preferred sole for boots). However, I don't find them as low profile as some on this thread, particularly at the heel. This, for me, is neither good nor bad. It just is. Comparatively speaking, Dainite, to my eye, is more low profile than commando. With a Dainite soled shoe, one typically has to see the bottom of the shoe to detect it.

12. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Well-Known Member

An argument, in the form of a picture, for why chasing after exotic unicorns, at the expense of stock models, may be nothing more than a fool's errand. :D

2 people like this.
  13. GFride

GFride Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reply, very helpful! I was initially mainly considering longwings as well, but Trickers, Grenson, etc who do lugged sole brogues primarily do them on the shorting type make up. Perhaps another reason to steer toward a longwing.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
  14. GFride

GFride Well-Known Member

Thanks, I have some boots with commandos and they are comfortable. This, along with the weather resistance, makes them appealing to me. I was just concerned about buying a shoe with limited versatility. I appreciate your taking the time to reply.

15. GFride

GFride Well-Known Member

It will depend quite a bit on the type of raw denim and also whether you are in the soak or no soak camp. Also as mentioned the color of the shell. The raw denim I prefer is not sanforized and the maker recommends soaking them once before wearing as they shrink considerably. I have not had much trouble with color transfer from these. Another different brand that were worn un-soaked did transfer a bit of color to one of my lighter shoes (not shell). If you are cuffing them then the inside of the fabric will be contacting the shoe and there is less indigo to transfer.

16. Shawnc

Shawnc Well-Known Member

Couldn't agree more.....

17. n-domino

n-domino Well-Known Member

FWIW, I haven't had any indigo transfer from my denim onto my snuff suede. The same goes for shell. I imagine lighter colors of suede would be prone to color transfer, though.

18. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Well-Known Member

I initially thought about the natural edge but eventually went with the stock.

Thanks everyone! I have my share of "rare" shells but #8 is one of my favorites. I wear them more than my ravello, whiskey, or cigar for sure.

However, I'm still in line for a pair of whiskey LWB. :)

19. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Well-Known Member

I never had it as a problem on any of my shoes, no matter the material. Transfer of the indigo to the seat of my Jeep though was another issue. :fu:

20. coinopcollector

coinopcollector Well-Known Member

For shoes it's LWB for me and just today I ordered the Tanker/ST boot on commando in king 8 from Citi Shoes. Can't wait to get them Tuesday.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.