1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shawnc

Shawnc Well-Known Member

I have read this article on tassels and shell cordovan few times. Each time I read it I enjoy it a little bit more. It was posted on this thread in response to a discussion on tassels. I am reposting for no good reason other than I find it interesting reading and think some others may as well.......

http://www.cigaraficionado.com/webfeatures/show/id/Tasseled-Loafers_7439/p/1

2. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

I love my Strands. Fit and feel are terrific!

-Mike

3. zippyh

zippyh Well-Known Member

I think a pair of C&J or Tricker's boots would be the perfect companion to the Roadmaster.
    The hardest part about getting Tricker's is getting your size figured out. There are basically two lasts that are of interest to some one coming from Aldens. The 4497 and 4444 country lasts. The 4497 is somewhat comparable to Barrie and the 4444 is even bigger. The standard production Tricker's are kind of boring. You have to look for the special make-ups from Shoe Healer and a myriad of other stores.

For C&J, look to the Ralph Lauren models. You just missed the Lindrick/Gianni sale feeding frenzy though.

For dubmunks, look to the AS Ramsey (A Fine Pair of Shoes had some whiskey shell seconds recently btw), C&J Lowndes, or many Carminas. The EG Westminster is nice but will run well over $1K.

I wear my Gucci 1953 horsebit loafers when I want to go for the summer euro look (no suit).

4. MrDV

MrDV Well-Known Member

whiskey Wednesday
    [​IMG]

5. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

Old pic, but I figured I'd continue with MrDV's blue laces...

[​IMG]

6. tampatravel

tampatravel Well-Known Member

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH those Whiskey PTBs keep me going in to work everyday to earn $$$

7. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Well-Known Member

For me, I like most Alden for their current aesthetic and cannot really think of a design I'd like to see them tackle that they do not currently do. I dress in what would probably be considered "trad" most days (3 roll 2 J. Press sack suit with USMC heraldry rep tie today) and find the shape of the Barrie and Van lasts compliment my style nicely. When I do venture outside of Alden, it's most often to Rancourt and Tricker's, so there really isn't even that much aesthetic variety in my closet. Another reason I generally stick to Alden (and Rancourt and Tricker's) is that they have many options that transition very easily from casual, to business casual, to business dress. I've seen some Vass and Edward Green that I really like as well, but the price is generally more than I'm willing to pay and they don't look like they would work in the casual settings as easily for me.

Corthay and G&G are interesting shoemakers to me - they make some absolutely gorgeous footwear but they are generally just too sleek for my tastes and I would probably not get much use out of them.

In the end for me, Alden seems to hit my sweet spot for cost, construction quality, aesthetics, versatility, and availability. IMO, Rancourt beats them on cost and availability but they are too casual; Tricker's is comparable to Alden on cost and may beat them on construction quality (it's a very close battle between the two for all the stuff I've handled from each), but loses out on versatility (I really only like their more casual or "country" lines) and availability here in the states, Vass often beats Alden on aesthetics and I'm sure the construction is great, but they lose out on price and availability for me... etc.

Alden may not be the best in every regard but they hit enough of the right marks to keep me coming back.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
  8. budapest12

budapest12 Well-Known Member

9. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

My thoughts exactly.

10. Don L

Don L Well-Known Member

Whiskey Wednesday

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

^^ Beautiful LHS, Don!

12. Shawnc

Shawnc Well-Known Member

Staying with the whiskey Wednesday theme. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  13. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

Those look great Shawn! Enjoy them!

14. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

Guess what day it is???

Whiskey Wednesday!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Have a good Wednesday!

-Mike

1 person likes this.
  15. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

Mike, mike, mike, mike, mike, mike. Nice shoes!

1 person likes this.
  16. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

HaHa! Thanks!

-Mike

17. Shawnc

Shawnc Well-Known Member

Now that was funny.

18. totalair1

totalair1 Well-Known Member

Maiden voyage of my Alden model 2210 Whiskey NST on I think Aberdeen. I think the 2210 is fairly rare in whiskey?
    [​IMG]

House breaking via the Mac Method.

Happy Whiskey Wednesday! I've seen a lot of great Whiskey make ups today, and some whiskey belt and watch strap combos too! Very, very nice!

See Ya,
    Steve

1 person likes this.
  19. MrDV

MrDV Well-Known Member

Nice laces, great shoes.

20. MrDV

MrDV Well-Known Member

Awesome combo donl.

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.