1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. calidist

calidist Well-Known Member

Call Alden San Francisco. They had some navy chukkas last time I was there, I just can't recall if they were suede or CXL.

2. sazon

sazon Well-Known Member

mdubs - you have a great collection. It's evident you take great care of them.

I often ask myself the same questions when I look in my closet.

Honestly, I can't imagine any man needing more than 7 pair of shoes : 3 dress, 2 casual, 1 boot, 1 sneaker. I bet more than 75% of men have 7 or less.
    That being said, this thread is not about shoes that we "need". So if you're happy with the collection, wear them and enjoy them.

3. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Well-Known Member

I used a reasonably heavy application of Saphir neutral cream on a pair of my whiskeys in an effort to slightly darken them. It worked.

4. stevent

stevent Well-Known Member

For the whisky nst 24061 anyone know why sole looks so much sleeker than your typical Barrie? Heel is definitely narrower and waist looks to be as well. Fit feels the same though

5. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Well-Known Member

I've gotten great results from the Saphir cordovan cream in black, brown and color 8, and it looks like I will be trying neutral now. I prefer Alden's brown on cigar, but for black and color 8 I still use Saphir when I want to add color.

6. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Well-Known Member

I didn't bother to look up the style number, but I speculate it is due to the closed heel and absence of storm welt.

7. patrick_b

patrick_b Well-Known Member

What a happy coincidence. By any chance are you talking 10.5 TTS or 10.5 Barrie? If 10.5 Barrie (11 TTS) then I'm fairly certain you both need to purge :).

8. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

Sorry, 10.5 tts. 10D on Barrie.

-Mike

9. blues4life

blues4life Active Member

Uncle
    Where are those socks from please?

10. blues4life

blues4life Active Member

I HAVE SEEN THE ALDEN GRAIL. VERY NICE.

11. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Well-Known Member

A few words of caution on Saphir Cordovan Creme

-Some folks dislike the greasy finish it leaves behind

-It is not good for spot treating, it will change the appearance of the shoe a little, so use it on the whole shoe. Use wax for spot treating.

-Apply and work it in to small sections at a time. It dries fast, so if you try to apply it all over a pair of shoes, it will be too dry to go back and work it in where you started.

There is no one right/wrong answer to this question, or magic number of shoes that any individual should have. Personally, I like to have a lower number of higher quality shoes than an abundance of affordable shoes. I have 16 pairs of "nice" shoes. Meaning shoes that I try to keep looking good.

12. blues4life

blues4life Active Member

Forgive my newbie-ness. But I know the gentleman you are , socks please?

13. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

He wears Marcoliani and gets them from customshirt1.com. I picked up two pairs from there a few months back. They are very nice.

-Mike

1 person likes this.
  14. BeSpiffington

BeSpiffington Well-Known Member

Uncle, nice shoes, nice combo!

15. phototristan

phototristan Well-Known Member

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

1 person likes this.
  16. MrDV

MrDV Well-Known Member

Good lord, great looking combo.

17. MrDV

MrDV Well-Known Member

Thank you sazon.

10.5 tts, 10 Barrie like mdubs

18. 89826

89826 Well-Known Member

Thanks to BWV, I just landed a pair of #8 slip-on chukkas on the Plaza last, from LS at a great price. Will be in my hands and on my feet in a few days. But now to play the Alden sizing game. I have been at this for a while, so I have almost everything covered. This one is new for me. I wear 9.5 in Plaza tie shoes and boots, 9.5 in Aberdeen tie shoes and boots, but 9 in Aberdeen slip-ons. My best Plaza size is probably 9.25; I think the last runs a sminch big. How secure on your feet are these slip-on chukkas? Which size, 9 or 9.5, is the question.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2013
  19. skeen7908

skeen7908 Well-Known Member

Dear alden experts

I was recently handed these alden shell boots by a friend

[​IMG]

Is this colour cigar?

The boots are quite old, and I notice that the shell is very darkened and rough at the bottom of the creases (sorry for poor photos)

[​IMG]

I cant seem to get rid of this despite copious brushing and conditioning. It feels like it is dry and coarse, while the rest of the shell is very smooth and glossy

Is it normal? Can I fix it?

20. BWV988

BWV988 Well-Known Member

This is all very useful info for a shell novice like me. Your first point, especially, would make me think twice about using it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.