1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. esoxm

esoxm Well-Known Member

Posts like that help me lean towards just grabbing a stock barrie model (even if they don't have the antique edge trim) from one of the many shops currently stocking my size.

2. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Well-Known Member

owning a couple barrie lasted #8 boots, and a plaza wingtip boot in #8.. I'd say lean more towards how you intend to use them. antique edging, barrie lasting.. I lean casual for either of those.. plaza, on dark edging, leans more formal (if attempting a boot in a formal environment of course)

worst case, if you really prefer antiquing edging, you could always send off to B.Nelson for a changeout

Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
  3. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Well-Known Member

Anyone know where I can get replacement laces for my indies?

Also, I want the Jcrew PCT boot. Does it fit slightly tighter than Barrie LWB, but not enough to warrant sizing up?

I have a 2003 Honda Civic For Sale, Low Miles, Very Clean, PM me if you're interested.

Thanks

1 person likes this.
  4. totalair1

totalair1 Well-Known Member

I'm in Washington DC today and dropped by the Alden store and met the crew face to face. Very nice people, I've bought a lot of Alden's from them, but never been to the store. Scored a pair of a ravello chukkas and my first Indys. Got Kudu with the heavy tread sole. Had both pairs shipped home. I now own chukkas in the 3 recent grail colors, cigar, whiskey and now Ravello. I'm anxious to compare these Ravello chukkas to the recent Ravello PTB and my Ravello NST and see how much color difference there is?

I'm a happy guy., the kudu seems to be a real solid work type hide, and comfortable too!

See Ya,
    Steve

1 person likes this.
  5. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Well-Known Member

great score.. what size chukka did you acquire? hoping not 11.5 so I don't feel horrible [​IMG]

PTB (assuming from madison), NST (from shoemart)? if so, should be quite a variance in color

6. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

I think he is like a 13ish...

7. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Well-Known Member

Well done Steve! They are super nice at Alden DC. They are as patient and supportive as can be. Looking forward to a visit in December. Not sure there will be anything left after your visit and future purchases. [​IMG]

8. 89826

89826 Well-Known Member

Strong preference for this version! Nicer last, and I do have shell ptb's on the Barrie last in cigar and whiskey. No storm welt, which I also prefer, and the metal eyelets are dynamite. In fact, today I wore my brand - new Brooks unlined suede ptb's with metal eyelets.

I recently bought a pair of the Brooks version in #8 in the wrong size at 30% off (my size was out of stock), and will exchange when the right size shows up.

I had a pair years ago, and don't know what happened to them. Size down, just like for the Barrie last.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
  9. 89826

89826 Well-Known Member

What are some of the rare Alden shell makeups Brooks has carried? Only one I know of for sure is the whiskey unlined lhs, which I own. It is the only one I have ever seen not in black or #8.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
  10. rydenfan

rydenfan Well-Known Member

Call Yenni at J Gilbert. She is about to place an order for #8 wingtip on Plaza with Commando sole. Should be an awesome makeup

11. Shawnc

Shawnc Well-Known Member

Very good to know. Thanks for the history lesson.

12. katch

katch Well-Known Member

Unfortunately I did not win them on ebay. I was going to send back to Alden and do a recraft before and after.

13. totalair1

totalair1 Well-Known Member

Size 13D . The PTB was from Alden San Francisco, NST was TSM, and Chukka DC. The chukka box was beat up a little so I'm not sure what vintage. I had them shipped and will compare next week. I will say I'm very pleased with all of my pairs of Ravellos.

See Ya,
    Steve

14. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Well-Known Member

I'm debating between the Trickers Stowe boot in a light colored leather or J Gilbet's Alden tan wingtip boot on commando soles (looking for a light colored wingtip boot). I expect Alden to win going away if I poll this thread, but do any members that own both brands have any comments on this decision (I have never examined/seen a Trickers shoe in person)

15. alexandchau

alexandchau Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    My J Gilbert king NST boots today. All the rave about plaza last boots are so true! I love this boot!!

2 people like this.
  16. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

Thank you for this post! I think this is the first time I have seen a plaza lasted boot in my size! Now I am even more excited!

17. zippyh

zippyh Well-Known Member

I'd go with the Tricker's if you're talking about one of the many non stock models with a natural color welt.
    If you're talking one of the stock Tricker's with dark welt, I prefer the Alden on commando.
    The Tricker's are going to make the Aldens seem sleek in comparison.

18. alexandchau

alexandchau Well-Known Member

No problem, tifosi. I hope you get yours soon. It is definitely worth the wait.

19. stevent

stevent Well-Known Member

I would take the Tricker's as well as I believe you are E width in Alden, 4444 should be a nice fit, even in regular 5 fitting. I also prefer Tricker's calf to Alden calf.

20. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

I'm on "the list" so I guess we'll see...

Although seeing them in my size make me think that maybe them and my incoming barrie lasted tankers may be redundant. I guess I'll wait till they are both in my hands.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.