• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

michaelpugs

Reaction score
So I'm planning on making the trek to the JCrew Ludlow shop at Copley to size/pick up some Aldens on Tuesday (I'm an associate, otherwise my budget couldn't manage!) and I'm debating between a few styles. Which of these would be a good first pair?

Indy Hummus Suede (I know they're not terribly well liked around here)
photo-49.jpg
the suede snuff boots

the gunboats

the perforated cap toe oxford boot (been eyeing these for a while, but they have been out of stock online for ages - limited edition - but maybe I'll get lucky!)

I'm also considering the plain toe boots... it will really depend on what they have in store and how I feel in person. Either way a pair is coming home with me!

And so it begins...

einstine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is a weird one chaps, but some advice if anyone shares a similar difficulty.

With my new Alden Indys, they are really comfy but I noticed a slight disparity in the fit for each foot.

Upon measuring my feet, I found that my left foot is 2cm longer than my right foot (i.e. almost an inch!).

So whilst my right foot is a good fit, comfortably loose, my left foot is a bit tight.

Not uncomfortably so, but I can feel my toes bunching up a bit and the bottom of my toes hurt slightly.

Any obvious solutions I'm missing? Will the left boot stretch to accommodate over a few weeks?

They're natural CXL if that helps; I hear they can stretch more than the cordovan?
Send the boot that fits tighter to Alden and they could stretch it slightly. Should be worth it if you are experiencing discomfort.

Arizor

Reaction score
Great advice, thanks guys. Actually my cobbler round the corner does exactly that stretching on a machine, might give it a go.

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So I'm planning on making the trek to the JCrew Ludlow shop at Copley to size/pick up some Aldens on Tuesday (I'm an associate, otherwise my budget couldn't manage!) and I'm debating between a few styles. Which of these would be a good first pair?

You do realize that now, with your confession, you will be socially pressured into spreading your associate discount amongst board members, correct? And you realize that your good standing will only be confirmed by conceding to such social pressure and thus spreading the Alden love?

I'm an 11.5B/D on Barrie and TruB for reference, and thank you ahead of time. I'll pm you my wish list.

haiglarsen

Reaction score
Great advice, thanks guys. Actually my cobbler round the corner does exactly that stretching on a machine, might give it a go.

Please report back and let us know how this works out. I'm in the same boat as you and I usually size for the larger foot, but sometimes that size isn't available and I've tried sizing to the smaller foot with varying degrees of success. Always considered stretching, but never went ahead with it.

zazaza

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I'm planning on making the trek to the JCrew Ludlow shop at Copley to size/pick up some Aldens on Tuesday (I'm an associate, otherwise my budget couldn't manage!) and I'm debating between a few styles. Which of these would be a good first pair? Indy Hummus Suede (I know they're not terribly well liked around here) the suede snuff boots the gunboats the perforated cap toe oxford boot (been eyeing these for a while, but they have been out of stock online for ages - limited edition - but maybe I'll get lucky!) I'm also considering the plain toe boots... it will really depend on what they have in store and how I feel in person. Either way a pair is coming home with me! And so it begins...
Hard to say without knowing what you normally wear and intend to pair them with, but when I dropped in there a couple weeks ago I saw they have a #8 shell straight cap blucher. I'd be hard pressed to think of a shoe they carry that has more utility than that one.

david3558

Reaction score

So I'm planning on making the trek to the JCrew Ludlow shop at Copley to size/pick up some Aldens on Tuesday (I'm an associate, otherwise my budget couldn't manage!) and I'm debating between a few styles. Which of these would be a good first pair? Indy Hummus Suede (I know they're not terribly well liked around here) the suede snuff boots the gunboats the perforated cap toe oxford boot (been eyeing these for a while, but they have been out of stock online for ages - limited edition - but maybe I'll get lucky!) I'm also considering the plain toe boots... it will really depend on what they have in store and how I feel in person. Either way a pair is coming home with me! And so it begins...
You do realize that now, with your confession, you will be socially pressured into spreading your associate discount amongst board members, correct? And you realize that your good standing will only be confirmed by conceding to such social pressure and thus spreading the Alden love? I'm an 11.5B/D on Barrie and TruB for reference, and thank you ahead of time. I'll pm you my wish list.
Unless you, michaelpugs, are a special J.Crew employee - I would ask you to not waste your time to make that 'trek', as you're not going to get your employee discount. I know this because I have a bunch of friends who work not only for J.Crew but that particular shop. I had to buy my longwings full price while I could get some merchandise for sale + 60% off. Just sayin' 3rd party merchandise there, especially Aldens are particularly strict and I doubt the manager is going to let you get it discounted. You'd have better luck going to The Tannery and offering to pay cash in exchange for a % discount. (you didn't hear it from me)

Last edited:

gaseousclay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
quick question for those of you with Indy boots, have you ever experienced chafing around the ankle/calf area as a result of the height of the boot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads