1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thor

Thor Well-Known Member

Killing time in the Denver airport...

I am generally not in favor of speed hooks- but they do come in handy in airport security lines

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Well-Known Member

at a retail level, there was one store in manhattan that was offering them. I returned an 11D to them awhile back. might still be there, amongst other sizes. no 11.5D though. those got 'lost' in shipping to me [​IMG]

3. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Well-Known Member

I have the unlined CXL PTB as well and it's hard to argue with this. However, I'm also a huge fan of Alden suede. As a compromise, buy the CXL PTB now, and get a snuff chukka later :)

Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
  4. Shawnc

Shawnc Well-Known Member

Quoting RTP but this question is for anyone. Thinking of putting RTP out of his memory on these but I have a question on fit. I'm wondering how the Plaza last compares to Barrie on length. Alden of Carmel's website gives the impression that they are similar but I always thought Barrie was longer and wider. Lengthwise, can anyone tell me how they thing a Leydon 10 compares to Barrie? Thanks.

5. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Well-Known Member

I should probably wear a 9.5D in barrie but it can be very snug (9.5D LWBs and chukkas work pretty well) so I go with 10D and enjoy a little bit of extra room. The plaza in 10D is an absolute perfect fit for me; not snug and little to no extra room. Not sure about the leydon last.

6. sazon

sazon Well-Known Member

Thank you Shawn.

No fooling, here is how I scored those Ravello LWB from J Crew : It was Christmas clearance time in early January and I was after a certain Thomas Mason shirt from J Crew. I was told that the J Crew Ludlow shop in TriBeCa had the shirt. I had never been to that shop but I figured I’d take walk there since it was only 20mins from where I work.

I open the door and right smack in the middle when I walked in was a display with these shoes. I immediately fell in love, as I love the brass eyelet look. I asked the clerk when these came in?!? He said they just arrived two days ago, and they only sold 1 or 2 so far. They were not on-line or in any other store. The store had been waiting for them for like 18 mons he said. I said, please give me a 10D, immediately. “Buy now, decide later” is the usual rule when you find Aldens, but one look and I had made up my mind.

It was so refreshing to find this model without the usual hype and frantic searching when a Ravello model is spotted.

Not long after, the shoes blew up here on SF and sold out soon thereafter.

Timing is everything.

1 person likes this.
  7. ReppTiePrepster

^^^ So is good fortune! You must be a good man Sazon, to have that kind of karma!!

8. TactileOne

TactileOne Well-Known Member

9. MarioImpemba

MarioImpemba Well-Known Member

> Bootmaker black shell captoes on Grant
    > All eyelets
    > Dbl leather sole

Got 'em for a deal in B&S.

I got flat black waxed laces off ebay on the way, and will relace in euro straight fashion as I do all my shoes.

Also need to work my magic on them with some Lexol/Reno/Kiwi.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  10. lagsun

lagsun Well-Known Member

Latest purchase off eBay - Snuff Suede LWB from Leffot. Looks like they were worn only a couple of times at most. They also fit a little snugger out of the box than my cordovan LWBs.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  11. BeSpiffington

BeSpiffington Well-Known Member

Uncle, your wingtips are aging very nicely.

12. BeSpiffington

BeSpiffington Well-Known Member

RTP, you too are amazing.

13. macjedi

macjedi Well-Known Member

I could use some help on Hampton sizing.

I purchased a pair of snuff suede medallion cap toe bals from The Shoe Mart in 9D (my Braddock size). The fit was comfortable, but a little long in the length and a bit sloppy feeling.

I ordered a 8.5D to compare; the length feels better, but the arch feels a bit short compared to the 9D. They are also a bit snug; more than I'd prefer.

Unfortunately, these aren't available in any width other than D, so I can't try any other widths.

I'd like to hear anyone's thoughts on the fit of suede vs cordovan, or calf in this last, and any recommendations on what size I should try next … I'm looking to acquire a king cap toe soon.

Thanks!

14. ReppTiePrepster

Congrats on a fine score!

15. ReppTiePrepster

I have the j crew version and absolutely LOVE them. Congrats and wear often in great health!

16. violethour1951

violethour1951 Well-Known Member

wow lagsun, those snuff suede LWBs are very nice. Love the tonal difference on the vamp

17. mcarthur

mcarthur Well-Known Member

nephew,

thank you

18. mcarthur

mcarthur Well-Known Member

nephew,

thank you

19. sazon

sazon Well-Known Member

Wow, thanks Repp!

20. tampatravel

tampatravel Well-Known Member

Ahhh how about a shot of Ravello from ATL Hartsfield.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.