1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Well-Known Member

I don't have any wingtip boots, but I have these on order from AOC, a very elegant pair

2. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

+1 on that houndstooth coat. I want it! Any details on that, Don?

1 person likes this.
  3. aldenwear

aldenwear Well-Known Member

If those are really cigar cordovan Indys, Patek gets the award for Most Gumption. Or maybe it should be called Walking the Walk. I know shell is tough, but to use an exotic cordovan instead of, for example, the more ubiquitous King Cordovan takes cajones.

Or maybe a second pair of cigar cordovan Indys lurking in the closet.

Love to see a cleaned up picture.

4. Patek

Patek Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what you mean by "if those are really..." What else would they be? These are BOOTS! These have been one of my go-to winter and fall boots for slushing around in rain, sleet, and snow. Cleaning is very easy--just wipe with a damp cloth. My "good" boots are EG and C&J. I believe I purchased them about two years ago but have no plans on replacing them any time soon. I'll clean them up tonight and snap a picture for you.

Here are the same boots last fall, you can see how the creasing is the same.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
  5. Don L

Don L Well-Known Member

Thanks guys

That Sports coat is a new acquisition from the B&S. It is a Super 120's ISAIA that I got for a steal

6. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Well-Known Member

Brass eyelets, that is different where did you pick those up patek.

7. Patek

Patek Well-Known Member

8. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Well-Known Member

My black tankers are going to be my go to heavy boot this winter... Same with the cigar captoes (which I already wear in the rain)... The black captoes and color 8 tankers will be spared...

9. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

I plan on wearing my en-route #8, commando Indys as my go to boot this winter.

1 person likes this.
  10. blue collar

blue collar Well-Known Member

This is not ok with me :fu:.

Yes cordovan is a tough material, but they make real work boosts for doing work. Cigar shell indy, imo, is far from a "work boot".

Whats next?!? Mucking about in the muddy Scottish highlands in full brogues because that's where they came from?

Granted, they are your boots.

Edit: I may just be angry because I don't have those boots ha ha

11. Patek

Patek Well-Known Member

I'm sorry you feel this way but this is how I have been treating my work boots with commando soles for the last two year. If I lived in the Scottish highlands I would probably be using full brogues as intended. Instead, I live on the East Coast where we have sloppy winters and a good pair of boots with good traction is appropriate for the winter. The first thing I did when I received my RL Linricks was put some toppies on them. I also have BB C&J cordovans in #8... and the list goes on.

These are my winter and fall boots. They are sturdy, comfortable, and protect my feet and I like the way they look. I tend to wear my cordovan boots much more than my calf or suede boots as they are easy to clean and can take a beating--as they were intended to. They look the better for it.

Besides, these damn things last forever! I have found my biggest complaint with buying quality shoes and rotating them is that I get bored of them long before they wear out and I can excuse the "need" to purchase another pair. At this rate, they have another 2 years in them before they need to be recrafted and then they will have another four years in them. Eight years with the same boot with heavy use? If I baby them, will I have them for 20? What would be the purpose in that?

I correct my wife every time she says I have a shoe "collection". I have a rotation and I wear them as intended. As your sig says, they last longer than girlfriends.

12. crosswound

crosswound Well-Known Member

:stirpot: :stirpot: :stirpot:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  13. aldenwear

aldenwear Well-Known Member

All I meant by "if they are really . . " is if the post was tongue-in-cheek or a joke. Most people, particularly on this forum -- and I include myself here -- would be prone to baby their cigar cordovan boots rather than use them for outdoor work, so I thought your post might have been made in jest. I meant nothing else, and certainly no disrespect of any kind.

Obviously, those are cigar cordovan boots (and they look like they may be on the plaza last to boot (pun intended) and, again, my hat is off to you for really using your Indys. They are workboots, cordovan is a tough leather, and this is a great use of them. Those are also great-looking.

I can see why you would say EG and C&J would be your "good" boots compared to Indys. But you have shown your indys can stand up to this kind of duty and look great.

Thank you for posting. I have cordovan Indys en route and have been telling myself I would use them as Winter boots in my land of sleet and snow, but have been wondering whether I would actually do that. I am officially emboldened.

14. CEE88

CEE88 Well-Known Member

Nice look, crosswound.

15. Patek

Patek Well-Known Member

I better understand your post now.

By "good" boots I meant dress boots as the Indy's are too casual to be worn with a suit or slacks to work. I keep them as my regular romp-around boots for say walking the dogs or going out for beers. I don't do much yard work but since I had just returned from Lowes and wanted to get to work before the sun went down, I did not bother changing. After all, they have seen much worse in the winter.

Cheers!

16. Numbernine

Numbernine Well-Known Member

These get knocked around pretty good .I think they clean up well
    [​IMG]

17. CEE88

CEE88 Well-Known Member

Good plan Gentlemen. I have my color 8 Indys teed up for the upcoming rainy season that people here in the Pacific Northwest like to call "winter.":cheers:

18. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Well-Known Member

That's the real point. A little dirt and wet grass isn't going to harm shell. It'll wipe right off. Salt and snow/slush, etc., during a harsh winter will cause far more damage than doing some gardening.

19. CEE88

CEE88 Well-Known Member

A++++++++++++++++++ :bounce2::bounce2::bounce2::bounce2::bounce2::bounce2::bounce2::bounce2::bounce2::bounce2::bounce2::bounce2::bounce2::bounce2::bounce2::bounce2:

1 person likes this.
  20. NYDRH

NYDRH Well-Known Member

Those are awesome (except for their availability)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.