1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

It is a possibility, although slim. Like bespokenpa said...I'd be in for $1,000 easy. But I'd rather pay market price as brp suggested.

2. brp2

brp2 Well-Known Member

My only point was that offering market price -- which may have been poorly worded as I intended to say regular retail price -- directly to the manufacturer would already represent a significant premium for the manufacturer.

While I don't want to seem to be pooh-poohing this idea or be viewed as a complete naysayer -- because i would sign on for it in a heartbeat, even for over RRP -- I do have one significant concern. Considering the significant restrictions that appear to extend from Alden to its retailers, I would be surprised if there are not other restrictions which work in favor of the retailers. For example, I would think that, either by contract or by simple business dealings, Alden would be hesitant to bypass its dealers in this way even for a significant premium.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
  3. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Well-Known Member

Alden has more or less ignored ravello / cigar / color 4 orders from established retailers, there is basically zero chance they will look at an order from a group of buyers directly.

At this stage of the game, color 8 w / antique sole is the new ravello/color 4 in terms of special makeups

4. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Well-Known Member

TSM advised me color 4 orders will not be filled as Alden will no longer produce #4 shoes/boots.

5. linafelt

linafelt Well-Known Member

6. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

Sort of unrelated...
    Can someone tell me why cigar is not a more common color? From what I have seen it is darker than #8, so why can't it be produced in the same quantity? I don't see them needing more "perfect" shells than they need for #8. Am I waaaay off base?

7. NAMOR

NAMOR Well-Known Member

^ you bring up a great point. I'm curious to know as well

8. aldenfan

aldenfan Well-Known Member

+1. When I first heard of cigar being limited, this was what went through my head immediately.

9. hoit1981

hoit1981 Well-Known Member

Maybe because it adds to Alden's mystique of having access to "rare shell"?

10. Alcibiades

Until the recent shortage, cigar seemed to me like it was the third most common cordovan color. I have and have had more cigar shoes than ravello/whiskey.

At their best, color 8 (dark burgundy / purple&red tint) is darker than cigar (milk chocolate with an olive tint), but the two can overlap from the time to time, similar to how whiskey and ravello can overlap

As far as why it isn't more common, good question, it's probably just a choice by Alden.

11. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

I wish Alden had a more attainable solution for brown shell. Their lack of this option forced me to go to AE for a brown shell shoe. I doubt Alden cares, tho.

12. TactileOne

TactileOne Well-Known Member

Lots of BN Aldens showing up on ebay in size 11 and 11.5, very heavy on suede, but no shell.

13. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Well-Known Member

Lookin' great Sazon, socks are a nice compliment to your #4!

14. budapest12

budapest12 Well-Known Member

Forced me to C&J for RL for it. Though I am eagerly awaiting NIB cigar LWBs I snagged on eBay. Praying they are legit.

15. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Well-Known Member

I do not have either one, but I would think the straight tip blucher would be more versatile in that manner. However, both probably function similarly.

16. formz

formz Active Member

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but since I know a lot of you user B Nelson for shoe repair I figured it can't hurt here. Let me share my story:

I live in NYC so B Nelson is local, and has been mentioned here many times before.
    I have never had to resole anything before. I rotate my shoes enough that over the years things have worn evenly throughout my lineup and nothing gets overused. Last week I finally decided it was time to resole a pair of Clark's desert boots. Nothing fancy, but this was my test bed. If this went well then all my Aldens would go there as well.

I walk in and was greeted nicely. The guy, who was clearly very busy, still had time to look over my shoes and ask me what I needed done. I was getting a complete resole at a cost that was more than what my Clark's originally cost, but that was fine with me as these were broken in and still in very good shape in spite of a cracked and worn sole. He gave me a ticket and said it'll be a week. Fine, no problem.

Six days later I get a call saying that the stitching is going to require more labor (by hand, rather than a machine) then he originally had thought. I asked him why, six days later, he now noticed this. He explained they were very busy - he just kept repeating it. He also explained that it was going to be $30 more. I told him no thank you. At this point the resole would have been $60 more than what I even paid for the boots. Flash forward a scant hour, and I caved. The shop is about 20 blocks from work and I didn't want to walk up, pick them up, and walk somewhere else. So I called back and talked to some one else and said you know what - go for it. The boots were there and what's $30 in the grand scheme of things. He said "I'll take care of you." I said thank you and that was that.

So today I call them (this is the day they were supposed to be done as per my ticket). And I got the same guy on the phone who I gave the OK to do the work yesterday. First of all, he couldn't find my boot. He asked me what the ticket number was (I gave it to him) what the make of the shoe was (I gave it to him). Five minutes on hold and he finally finds it and says that they're not supposed to be done till NEXT week. That's two weeks from the initial drop off. I explained to him that no - I have the ticket in front of me and it says today. He responds with that since I said no, and then called back an hour later, that my shoe had been put to the back of the line. I was flabbergasted. After much back and forth I said the hell with it don't touch em, I'm coming to pick them up for a refund.

I pick them up today, untouched, and asked to speak with the person with whom I dropped them off. I explained to him the entire situation, he apologized, but kept asking "what do you want me to do about it? I'm busy." Over and over again he kept apologizing for the added cost. I had to explain that I didn't care about the extra $30, what I cared about was my shoe being put in the back of the line after an hours worth of downtime after it sat on a shelf for six days. "I'm too busy", he offered. My first three jobs were in retain customer service and for a small shop being "too busy" is never a problem. You hire more people, you accurately quote times, there are ways around too busy.

I got nothing out of him - I didn't want anything. I kindly grabbed my shoes and started to walk out. Here is where it get's interesting. The other gentleman, the one who I OK'd the work to on the phone, was also there. He came over to me with another pair of Clark's that they had put a leather sole on, and he showed me the price tag: $210. He said "the $160 you were paying, we're losing money on it. See what he is paying?" I responded to him with "I don't think you understand, it's not the price that I cared about. I would have paid the $210 if I thought they would be done in a week. But you didn't even tell me it was going to be another seven days before I could pick them up on the phone." He sat there and said nothing. No apology, no nothing.

All in all, these guys might do quality work, but their customer service is horrendous.

I went there with a friend who had her boots resoled (you could stick a finger through the things into the boot itself). And when she got them back the holes in the inner lining were still there. She asked why that was and the same guy who tried to point out the $210 price said "you should have told us to replace the lining, too." Now, she's also never had shoes resoled and assumed, incorrectly, that that was part of the sole since it was under her feet. Now she's stuck with a $95 bill and a hole in the leather lining.

I am never going back to them with any of my shoes.

Sorry for this being so long. :(

17. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Well-Known Member

I always like hearing these types of frank testimonials that go against the grain. After hearing only one (your) side of the story, I agree that the whole situation sounds unreasonable on their part. The "we were losing money at $160, this guy is paying $210", if true*, sounds especially suspicious to me.

*Not trying to question your honesty, I'm just being objective.

Thanks for sharing.

18. Alcibiades

Sorry about the bad experience with B Nelson - I hope your shoes get done do your satisfaction.

That said, to me the most interesting part of the story

$360 for a Clarks Desert Boot with Leather Sole (assuming the boot was bought new at $150)

~$336 for a Church's Desert Boot with Leather Sole
    http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/produ...4&catid=6&oldcolid=1845&stype=0&colourid=1770

$486 for an Alden Desert Boot with Leather Sole
    http://aldenshop.com/Store/DrawProducts.aspx?CategoryID=90&ParentID=4&PageID=&Action=

ALERT - Also, Alden SF is listing a "Dark Green Suede" as an option the suede chukka, has anyone seen this

19. Shawnc

Shawnc Well-Known Member

Ditto.

20. Renton

Renton Well-Known Member

Here's a picture of the hunter green suede.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.