1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shaunw

shaunw Well-Known Member

I think you would be very satisfied, you might not even look at your 990s the same after getting marlow PTB. Don't get me wrong I love alden.

2. BeSpiffington

BeSpiffington Well-Known Member

Doc, I like what you said about patina trumping the maintinence of a pristine looking pair of shoes. Thank you for your kind words sir, though I am neither elegant or a sage of any sort. I'm just a guy who stumbled upon this thread and is now hopelessly hooked on shell cordovan footwear. Thank you Moneywellspent, Tifosi and Alcibiades for your knowledge and expertise, I can always count on you gentlemen to encourage me to purchase more shell.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
  3. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

Did you really expect anything less???? hahaha

4. marq528

marq528 Member

Wow stewbone if those are size 10D I actually ordered that exact pair and order was later canceled because I guess you beat me to them and they couldn't fulfill my order.
    They are really nice, enjoy them in great health. Ended up working out for me - Once that order was canceled I got lucky and the snuff on modified miraculously switched to being available. Arriving Thursday.

5. lagsun

lagsun Well-Known Member

6. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Well-Known Member

I could see 1k, idk about $1300.00

7. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

8. tmw

tmw Well-Known Member

9. budapest12

budapest12 Well-Known Member

10. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Well-Known Member

If the price is right I think the marlow is a fine shoe to acquire. If you're patient, you should be able to find one for $500. You ought to go the Crocket & Jones for RL Cordovan thread and look for edubs01. He works for RL and has offered discounts to thread regulars. I passed on the Lindrick boot in brown shell (just like the Marlow) for $750. Not sure what he could offer for the Marlow. The deal looks legit. You receive an invoice from RL and it ships direct from their factory/warehouse.

The Marlow takes a while to break in. It isn't as comfortable as the Alden LWB right out of the box, at least in my experience. It is though, a great shoe with cordovan that is not quite the same (as nicely finished) as Alden.

11. NYDRH

NYDRH Well-Known Member

12. budapest12

budapest12 Well-Known Member

Got my Lindricks through edubs - they are phenomenal. I try to be brand agnostic - Alden, C&J, and Carmina all make great shell models (and some I don't care for).

13. aldenfan

aldenfan Well-Known Member

Awesome makeup. I'm looking at a plaza captoe from J. Gilbert as well. How does plaza sizing compare to Barrie and Trubalance? I have an Indy trubalance in 13D that fits awesome and then a handful of Barrie boots (JCrew captoe and JCrew suede chukka) that are 13D that are just a tad tight (width?) but I can wear okay. I'm thinking I may need to go with a 13.5e or 14D for Plaza? Do you know if J. Gilbert has a return policy?

14. lagsun

lagsun Well-Known Member

15. dusttruffle

dusttruffle Well-Known Member

the more i see the plaza captoe boot the more i like it.
    I didn't really understand the fuss that was made about the plaza at first, mostly because of the models i saw.
    It seems to look very different in different photos, and whilst the idea of a chisel toe is not something it really is minimal.

I defininitly have a strong for a grant or a plaza shell captoe. Would love to see more picture comparing the two from different angles.

16. BeSpiffington

My first Alden's were the 990's, then I got a pair Alden LWB's, both are really nice shoes. Then I found out that Crockett & Jones made shell cordovan shoes for Ralph Lauren, so I bought the wingtips and the PTB's which are also very good shoes. My best suggestion would be to buy them all.

17. dcinitial

dcinitial Well-Known Member

If anyone wants a pair of Marlow wing tips or lindricks pls give me a PM. Straight from RL. Thanks!

18. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Well-Known Member

Tassels in color 8 today...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  19. BeSpiffington

Nice pics of sweet looking #8 tassels RTP.

20. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

Despite receiving my Ravello LWBs last night, I went with my Marlows today. The Marlows are another fantastic shoe and I actually really like the Color of the Marlows, as it is an almost in between Ravello and Cigar (maybe an older Cigar look). The detail work on them is very exquisite as well. They come very stiff and take quite a while to break in. I am still breaking mine in. Definitely wait for a RL sale or see if you can get a discount through here or something. Here they are next to my Ravellos (so I don't get boo'd from here)...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.