• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm in the same boat. "Awaiting payment". I didn't know about their reputation until after I placed the order. Please post if you hear anything from them; I'll do the same.

Folks relax. Today was President's day. I purchased a pair of shoes from Sherman Brothers over the weekend, and I received no update today either--and they are a great retailer. No mail was delivered today and their back office may have had the day off. Give 24hrs before you get worked up. I know, given the high degree of OCD found in this forum and thread, this is tough but don't panic, yet. I count myself amongst the most advanced OCD cases. :)

Last edited:

Roguls

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm trying to convince the people at Saphir to extend this product line by adding the colors Whiskey and Ravello.
Any interest out there in it?
It would help me make my case with them.

Nick and all the other gents:

perhaps we should pilot a forum member's turpentine-free, non-toxic formula. He has a light brown (whiskey + ravello-heads):

American Homemade Stuff

I don't think I'll ever put any wax on cordovan (Reno and Mac Method for me as of yet), but call me in 10 years to confirm.

docalden2013

Reaction score
I couldn't contain myself, so I went ahead and called Kathy at Alden of DC (she's so nice!). I ended up ordering a whiskey LHS from her. Looking forward to it!! Should I have ordered the cigar or color 8 instead? I asked her not to ship until Weds (as I'm out of the office for a couple days), so it's not too late to change things...Definitely interested in your honest opinions and justifications. Thanks!

sazon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I couldn't contain myself, so I went ahead and called Kathy at Alden of DC (she's so nice!). I ended up ordering a whiskey LHS from her. Looking forward to it!! Should I have ordered the cigar or color 8 instead? I asked her not to ship until Weds (as I'm out of the office for a couple days), so it's not too late to change things...Definitely interested in your honest opinions and justifications. Thanks!

Two out of three ain't bad ! Add the Cigar !

Don L

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have both Whiskey and Cigar LHS and you can't go wrong with either. Light or Dark.....It will depend on what you will wear with them..
You know thew real answer and that is that you need both
cool.gif

Welcome to the maddness

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to convince the people at Saphir to extend this product line by adding the colors Whiskey and Ravello.

I would have said go 8.5C, but you can always exchange. Doubt she would have had the Whiskey in that size anyway. #8 She probably would. For #8 LHS you might want to check out the unlined Brooks Brothers version.

How bout some pics of your collection when the new shoes arrive?

Edit: Also, if you are looking for Beefrolls/Cape Cod type loafers and are not opposed to breaking away from Alden, check out Rancourt. They have a thread on SF too.

Last edited:

BeSpiffington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Darn you Docalden. That was my exact plan this morning. Like a dry drunk I fought temptation all day. Now I'll be wandering all night if she has any grail coloured LHS shoes in my size. Hey brother, can you tell a fellow sufferer what kind of edge treatment those whiskeys will have? Does the LHS from Alden DC have a water lock sole? Man, I think I'm losing it. Doc, if I call Kathy tomorrow and they don't have my size in a whiskey or cigar LHS, I'll kill ya'. Just kidding! :). Congratulations on a fine score. Looking forward to some pics.

t0fu

Reaction score
removed, found sad answer

Last edited:

imolazhp_ci

Reaction score

why wouldn't they? i was told 70% of horween leather orders go to alden. so why wouldn't a manufacturer of cordovan care products want to appeal to 70% of the cordovan market?

azima

Reaction score
After a long hunt, i finally got these whiskey longwings at Alden SF today. Break in starts now!

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'd actually just ordered a bit of this from Hanger Project last week, so we'll see what more I can do. I ordered the Neutral, wanting to use it across my various colors while not wanting to get a bunch of individual jars. If it's that big of a benefit though, may have to consider individual colors.

I use all the colors and neutral. Of the colors, I use burgundy most often.

100 yrs

Reaction score
nice to see some pairs brought back to life in the last few pages

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

New Arrival: [COLOR=417394] [/COLOR]
36630: Cigar Tassel [COLOR=417394] [/COLOR] I'm very pleased with them at first impression. It is my fourth shell purchase so far this year, but I had to pull the trigger because they were available at SF in my size, and I didn't know how long they would last, or when they would be restocked if I missed the opportunity. I think I can go a while without buying anything now. Only things really left on my list are Ravello LHS, "Thor" Boot if it materializes, and perhaps Black Shell and Mocha Kid Suede Tassel, but I'm not sure I would really wear either of those last two enough to justify the purchase. They are in pretty good shape, no significant defects that I have noticed yet. (Just a small knick on the toe, shown in the last picture) They aren't as shiny as my other pairs, but I know how to fix that when I'm ready. Maiden Voyage pics coming soon!
nephew, wear in good health your cigar tassels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads