• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Starting off with rare shell color is like starting a baseball card collection by looking for a honus wagner.
There's a reason #8 is common... it's way more versatile.
Rare shell lust is getting a little out of hand.

My 2 cents on the matter ....

The lust for rare shell is a curious thing. In some ways I feel sorry for the fellas that stumble across this thread and think only in terms of whiskey and ravello (and who could blame them, given the comments made on here some days).

I wear Aldens for business and casual, and in a variety of settings. I have various models of each color.

Leaving black shell out of the analysis altogether (and I like black shell - wearing the Alden for BB perf captoe bal today), Color 8 is the most versatile, followed closely be cigar. Then it's ravello, followed by whiskey.

The ravello LWB may be the best looking shell LWB (in terms of uniqueness), but if forced to choose I would take my cigar LWB over it. And I own both. The whiskey LWB, which I also own, is a grail shoe for some Alden fans. That is fine, and it is a very nice shoe. I wear mine maybe 5 times a year. I would easily choose any of the colors, including black, in the LWB, over whiskey. And the preceding sentence was not meant to offend anyone - just calling it like I see it. :D

For someone just starting out, I would suggest getting whiskey after about number 10. Get some color 8 and cigar first (and black if you are so inclined), and then move on to ravello and whiskey. And also, to the extent possible, learn your correct size.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks blue, yes I think the plaza last is a nice shape for indys.

The Plaza is a nice shape for any makeup IMO. I have the Plaza in shoes and boots, shell and calf and suede. Like them all ...

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sharp PTB's!
nod[1].gif

violethour1951

Reaction score
Have to second the opinion that Cigar shell LWBs are very versatile, perhaps even more so than #8. This is especially true for more casual outfits.

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think cigar is at least as versatile as color 8... After all, it's dark brown, which is generally regarded as the most versatile show color. If more cigar models had dark edge soles, they would be even more versatile (similar to the RL Marlow models).

joiji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think cigar is at least as versatile as color 8... After all, it's dark brown, which is generally regarded as the most versatile show color. If more cigar models had dark edge soles, they would be even more versatile (similar to the RL Marlow models).
I disagree. Colour 8 can be worn with black, whereas Cigar can't. I'd suspect this is where the Colour 8 versatility stems from.

bespoken pa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Honus Wagner cards come up for auction once per decade, so if you would like one, you need to purchase it when it comes available not just when you may happen to be the market.

BeSpiffington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've just started on "the path" with #8 PTB's. How would some of the more experienced aficionados and collectors on this forum suggest I proceed? Buy what's available as you go. Get the basics first. Order a particular shoe in a so-called "grail" colour and wait for the zombie apocalypse. Any suggestions at all would be great.
First borns w/ Marcoliani cashmere socks

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I disagree. Colour 8 can be worn with black, whereas Cigar can't. I'd suspect this is where the Colour 8 versatility stems from.

I suppose this is true - and it certainly is alleged by many, and it looks fine - but I personally can't do it. Black trousers, in my world, are made for black shoes. But to each their own. And to the extent one does it (wear color 8 with black), it is hard to say color 8 isn't the most versatile.

The color 8 v. cigar versatility debate is a close call. This is particularly so for me inasmuch as I do not wear color 8 with black, nor do I wear color 8 with most shades of brown/tan. Certainly color 8 looks nice with most shades of brown (and I do it from time to time), but I just find myself gravitating towards brown/tan shoes when wearing brown/tan. And cigar of course can be worn with essentially everything but black.

This issue won't be resolved today. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads