1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. unipair guy

unipair guy Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

#99522 Leydon E Old tan Calf and Cigar Cordovan Saddle 6.5, 7, 9.5
    #8993 Leydon E #8 cordovan and black alpine grain Saddle 6, 6.5, 7, 7.5
    #2937 Barrie E Unlined Black cordovan 6, 9
    #2938 Barrie E Unlined #8 cordovan 6

[​IMG]

#63082 Vtip Black with Burgundy vamp Barrie D size 7
    #43510 Leydon E cap toe blucher Old tan calf size 6, 6.5, 8, 8.5
    #61901 Truflare E Whiskey cordovan size 6. 6.5, 7

These are our Alden models on sale. Please pm me for prices. All sales will be final.

2. shaunw

shaunw Well-Known Member

Buying into the buzz and taking "the bait".....hook, line and sinker

With a little patience I think we can all get the cordovan shoes and boots and other leather goods that we so desire. Look at theshoemart seconds lists, these are an indication of current orders at Alden and what either is in the pipeline or has already been delivered to retailers. The lists I received included whiskey, ravello, cigar, and #8 cordovan shoes. I believe that they are a little light on supply from Horween but the whole buy it now because it will never be seen again thing is not something I believe.

3. shaunw

shaunw Well-Known Member

I agree

4. hkpm

hkpm Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Ravello PTB today

1 person likes this.
  5. mcarthur

mcarthur Well-Known Member

looking good in your ptb

6. phototristan

phototristan Well-Known Member

Check out Rancourt. They not only have a shell Color 8 belt for cheaper than Horween, but they also have a Chromexcel Color 8 belt for even cheaper still:

http://www.rancourtandcompany.com/leather-goods.html?limit=all

7. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Well-Known Member

I am wearing my Color 8 shell cordovan belt from Rancourt today (as I do most days). It's a great belt but I found it to be significantly lighter than Alden's Color 8.

8. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Well-Known Member

I have a Color 8 belt form Alden that doesn't match well. I have at times wondered if B. Nelson would be able to refinish it to make it a closer match.

9. totalair1

totalair1 Well-Known Member

No question there's a buzz on shell shortage. I would also agree I went way deep on my purchases of shell shoes, mainly because I wanted them and those who feel I took the bait that's cool too. I'm a relative newbie to this forum, so I'm sure many of the long time members may not be drinking the cool aide I've been saying. Setting all opinions aside, my 13D or larger foot size dictates a shortage regardless of...if a real shortage exists. Very few Alden retailers stock above size 12, specially in shell and the rare colors. There's still a lot of choices in my size in black and #8. I'm certain that the majority of the shell shoes I've scored lately in cigar, and whiskey are mainly models that have not been produced in a few years, or older inventory. I'm at a stage in my life I have the ability to spend big for a while and then sit back. Not 1 pair of the cigar shoes I've bought were advertised anywhere, all were scored by digging, most of the whiskey were the same way except for 1 pair from TSM. I've tried like hell to score anything in Ravello and with the exception of the 1 pair I found at TSM, otherwise none to be found in my size new or used. If anybody has a lead on some please PM me!

I truly hope I'm wrong and we can discuss all day long, but at this point nothing I've seen indicates otherwise. The recent list of irregulars from TSM is "all" of the irregulars from Alden. Most of those are from Retailers inventory that discovered a defect when a pair were pulled from inventory to be sold and "oops". A prime example is my Whiskey NST on Barrie from TSM. They had a minor defect where the welt met the heel area and it was a sloppy transition. Ed at TSM gave me an option of the $399 defect price of he would get Alden to fix them. I choose to get them fixed. My point is there were in existing inventory, and not recent production.

Let's be real honest...is there any reason that Horween would not crank out rare shell colors if they could? All shell starts as the same color, then dyed. I've seen even small guys who make wallets complaining they can't get black or #8 scraps! Worldwide demand for shell cordovan is far exceeding supply. Horween and Alden do what they do to make money, and you can't make money if you don't have product to sell. Let's also cover 1 other thing...craftsmen. It is my opinion that true artists who work with leather are a dying breed. I'm talking custom shoe and boot makers...let's face it many things of that nature are dying off in America, and worldwide.

Like all forums these are my opinions, and I expect many to not agree. None of the opinions on what I've said have given any logic as to why it's not true, only it's a short term problem. Is Horween hoarding shell cordovan in a secret warehouse?

Have an awesome Thursday!

See Ya,
    Steve

10. totalair1

Rancourt and Alden both dye their shells to color #8. I wonder if you were to use some Alden #8 polish if that would make it a closer match?

See Ya,
    Steve

11. totalair1

Very nice Ravellos's on my wish list...maybe this fall? At least it's supposed to be this fall.

See Ya,
    Steve

12. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Well-Known Member

I would be worried about polish transferring on to my clothes.

13. gaseousclay

gaseousclay Well-Known Member

+1

I have a brown CXL belt from Rancourt and it's a perfect match to my CXL Indy boots

14. Don L

Don L Well-Known Member

I have the Natural and Color 8 CXL and highly recommend them. Eyeing the Carmel Cordovan to match my Whiskey Shell

Last edited: Jun 27, 2013
  15. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Well-Known Member

^This.

After I wore the belt a handful of times I stopped caring about the differences in the shades of the colors. I never want to be too matchy-matchy anyway.

16. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Well-Known Member

I'm not much of a belt guy (I just get basic belts), so I haven't paid too much attention the cordovan belts. However, if the recent Horween belts had a different buckle, I would have seriously considered them

17. shaunw

shaunw Well-Known Member

Steve I hear you, particularly on the large shoe size you require which exceeds most retail size orders. It seems that the boutique retailers, the ones that tend to have the most unique (and cool) makeups have the most limited size runs (and limited width selections). Having a big foot definitely puts you at a disadvantage from the get-go.

The statement about the irregulars process from TSM is not entirely accurate. Alden identifies the irregulars at the factory and they never go out to the retailer. Thats why you see the jcrew #8 captoe boot on the irregular list but there is no jcrew stamp on the inside, the same goes for alden for brooks brothers shoes, and all the other retailers. All irregulars just have the regular alden stamp on the heel. Alden sends a "batch" of irregulars to TSM whenever they accumulate enough. It is indeed a very accurate gauge of what is currently being produced at the factory. Follow the irregular lists for a couple years and follow the special makeups at Alden retailers and you will see the correlation pretty easily. Sometimes you can actually buy a special makeup via the irregulars before the retailer even gets their delivery, I have seen that happen at least once with a very hyped up special model that Leathersoul had produced exclusively for them.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2013
  18. totalair1

I'm sure there's lot of truth to what you are saying. My only TSM irregular I bought has "Bootmaker Edition" stamped inside it, which is exclusive to TSM. I meant to imply TSM sells all of the Alden irregulars, many are identified at the Alden factory. However...no doubt many are identified in the field too. What I'm sure of, the defect in the pair of Whiskey shells I got from TSM should have been caught and corrected at the factory but was not.

I'm enjoying the discussion!

See Ya,
    Steve

19. epc2

epc2 Well-Known Member

Guys,

Quick question , is the Indy considered a comfortable boot ?, I know they're rugged and can take anything but comfortwise how's the Neocork sole? , I've never seen or tried one , I did try a Crepe sole and while I didn't like the look it was very comfortable.

I'm not into dress boots but want one for jeans and Khakis and like the 403 but comfort is very important to me.

Thanks.

20. phototristan

phototristan Well-Known Member

Very. Probably one of the most comfortable boots available. In fact, this is why Harrison Ford insisted on wearing them in the movies. He swore by them while working as a carpenter before he became a big time actor.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.