• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BootSpell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I received my Alden/J.Crew #8 PCT boots a couple of weeks ago and am totally happy with them. The close heel and regular welt (not a storm welt) make them much sleeker than most Barrie makeups (well, as sleek as a Barrie can look anyway). Then a few days ago, AE finally shipped me my replacement burgundy shell Daltons, which I really like as well. I wanted to share some comments and see if anyone has any feedback or could share their impressions if they have either of these.

- I much prefer the finishing on the Alden. They seem to have the process down perfectly where the shell leather is so smooth and unblemished. It's also much shinier but that's not a big deal to me as I'm not a fan of mirror shines.

- As the pictures show, the Alden has much more of the eggplant coloring, which really stands out in a flash picture or in bright sunlight. The AE's have more of a brown tinge to them. I don't prefer one to the other; I like both.

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cigar LHS
860AA942-0987-4C55-BE5C-BC76E4184257-26961-00001998C4D1A865.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have to ask...

...Are those white socks?

LoserG

Reaction score
JGilbert has everything you want except the cap.
Thanks - I saw that pair myself, looks great. Still want to see if I can land the whole deal: cap-toe, medallion, black shell, boot. I recall seeing a picture of one in this thread (or what looked like it), maybe I'll spend the weekend sifting through it to find the poster!

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

brown suede ptb
argyles otc

Last edited:

Don L

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Quote: I have to ask...

...Are those white socks?
Dark brown trousers Medium brown docks which look much lighter in pic under flourescent lights Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alpina

Reaction score
Got the tobacco lwb from J. Crew today, they are going back. Color seems like it wants to be orange but is not fully there and it's not really a brown neither. Plus my student who always comments on my shoes that I get in said these felt like "cheap leather"
butbut.gif
compared to the other shoes I've gotten before. It's not cheap but color to me definitely looks off.
Color on mine is pretty close to this photo:

nephew,
enjoy wearing in good health
Pretty automatous reply. After all, he's not going to be wearing them at all.

Last edited:

Chaos_Cow

Reaction score
wow I just received the most expensive cigar indys ever in the mail and I just learned that my feet were apparently molded to the trubalance last... this is the most amazing fit I've ever had on any article of clothing by miles . I want to cry. It is a seriously emotional moment for me.

Last edited:

kwhitelaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wow I just received the most expensive cigar indys ever in the mail and I just learned that my feet were apparently molded to the trubalance last... this is the most amazing fit I've ever had on any article of clothing by miles . I want to cry. It is a seriously emotional moment for me.

where da pics?

kwhitelaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
is there a retailer stateside that offers a LWB similar to the Alpine Grain Brown from Bureau or Madison Brown from endclothing?

I'd prefer shell, but cannot seem to find a middle ground between ravello and cigar.. I'd settle for calf, but would prefer buying stateside.. won't split hairs over the sole, but leather would be first choice..

thanks in advance!

sazon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love the Strand!

I love it so much I bought it in walnut and chocolate shell. Keep the strands, They look awesome.

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You don't like? It's more of a "british tan" than a tobacco, IMHO. I like my pair, although I probably only wear them once a month or so.

They are ok, it's a bit lighter than I'd want and a bit too casual looking I think. I'd probably only wear once a month or so as well, and I'd rather put the $400 to shell or Edward Green instead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads