1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. david3558

david3558 Well-Known Member

Someone requested a better photo, here's my crappy attempt with a cell phone.

[​IMG]

J&M purple laces on Alden 975 (Color 8 LWB), edgetrim converted to antique-look.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  2. phototristan

phototristan Well-Known Member

I like what you did with them. Not sure about the laces, but that's just me, I'm a traditionalist. :)

3. david3558

david3558 Well-Known Member

Haha figured people would say that - yeah I took them off because they were really floppy, any idea how I might be able to get them stiffened up again? The purple is a little funky :nodding: but I'm feeling happy so why not? Haha :)

4. phototristan

phototristan Well-Known Member

Where do you get the 30% off code? Do you have to have a J.Crew card? Is it worth signing up for card?

5. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Well-Known Member

PSA.. Alden of DC has a pair of ravello chukkas in 11.5C.. sadly, a bit too narrow for me [​IMG]

6. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Well-Known Member

These are GREAT

7. CalceoAdamator

CalceoAdamator Well-Known Member

Yes I do... While I am typically dead-set against getting these types of promotional credit cards, J Crew made it too attractive for me to pass up. At the time of another shell purchase, they offered me the card, with 30% discount on my purchase at the time, and a $50 gift certificate bonus for every $500 that I spend (ongoing) ... so I went for it. As a card member, they send out special promotions just for card members, like I received for this purchase where I could take a 30% discount on any item purchased, whereas their general promotion is only 25% and not available on everything (and it appears not on Aldens). So at the end of the, if I buy something for another $40 bucks at some point, I will receive a $50 gift certificate and those new shells I just bought will have actually cost me $410...LOL... That's a pretty good deal... So I would recommend the J Crew Card, if you like their offerings... it really does offer some additional value... And I also noticed those cadets are no longer available... For once I got the timing right... LOL...

8. mcarthur

mcarthur Well-Known Member

nephew, a good day for ravello gunboats

9. MrDV

MrDV Well-Known Member

I like the whole thing. Yes on the edge trim, yes on the purple laces.

10. mcarthur

nephew,
    enjoy wearing your gunboats in good health

11. mcarthur

[​IMG]
    ravello lwb
    argyles otc
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  12. tampatravel

tampatravel Well-Known Member

This would almost be worth signing up for their card. I just worry about signing up and getting some lame credit limit like $1000 and taking up half of that on a shoe purchase. Aren't store cards usually a hit on your credit if you use a lot of your limit? Just checking....

13. JermynStreet

JermynStreet Well-Known Member

Picture never posted from this morning...

Mac methoded short wing bals....

[​IMG]

DCA--> Amsterdam

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  14. crosswound

crosswound Well-Known Member

i got my jcrew card code in my e-mail 30% off. i'm pretty sure code only works when you do a purchase using your j.crew card.

15. CalceoAdamator

You will get a lame credit limit... what I typically do, is send a payment in right after making the charge so the debit and credit post within the same billing cycle and when they report to the bureaus it shows as 0% of the credit limit being used... From what I understand any balance on any card over a certain percentage (I think 30% of the credit limit) begins to incrementally negatively affect your credit score...

16. Winterbourne

Winterbourne Well-Known Member

The 30% off promo is only for cardmembers and their card is just so-so. For every $500 you spend you get $25 toward your next purchase. But if you sign up you get an additional 10% off your first purchase. Other non-cardholder benefits I like is the 15% discount on ALL items (if purchased in store) if you're either a student or a teacher. The SAs in the stores routinely give me this discount on 3rd party merchandise, too. Once you get your SA's card you simply call in and have them place the order applying these discounts so walk-in purchases are no longer necessary. Additionally, their credit limit is easy to increase which I had to do on a couple occasions because of needing a different sized Aldens sent out so I could return the one that didn't fit.

17. CalceoAdamator

That is correct... its only valid with the use of your J Crew card...

18. Don L

Don L Well-Known Member

Whiskey LHS today

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  19. warrenjl1

warrenjl1 Well-Known Member

Anyone ever had any suede Aldens sent back for restoration? Before and after pics maybe? I imagine I'll be sending my suede chukkas in very soon and just wondering what to expect for the uppers.

1 person likes this.
  20. mcarthur

nephew, +1 for whiskey and argyles

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.