1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Apr 7, 2013
  2. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Well-Known Member

^the left one looks like Cigar and the right looks like #8. What color were they supposed to be?

3. phototristan

phototristan Well-Known Member

4. CalceoAdamator

CalceoAdamator Well-Known Member

Agreed... The key is being well spoken, which in reading his post, he certainly is. While you can please everyone, a lose a customer here and there, the impact of him reaching out has gained the respect and interest of many... So on a net basis... I think you gaining more customers than lose... IMO

5. CalceoAdamator

Yep..: that's what I did... I just thought someone may have had a similar experience to share...

6. phototristan

While the President/CEO of Alden may not post in forums, he does do internet interviews from time to time:

I would imagine that Paul Grangaard from Allen Edmonds is less of a factory hands on CEO than Arthur Tarlow is. After all, Grangaard came to Allen Edmonds from an investment banking job and probably knows little about the manufacture of shoes (unlike Arthur Tarlow who seems to oversee the factory floor and has it in his blood ever since birth).

I seem to even recall reading an interview with Grangaard about a year ago where he said he chooses to focus his role on PR a lot since he is not an expert in shoe making. This is probably why he posts in forums, he's got the time and mandate to do so. Whereas Arthur Tarlow is too busy actually making shoes to spend time reading and posting on online forums.

7. rydenfan

rydenfan Well-Known Member

No representation on patina Sunday today?

8. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Well-Known Member

I thank (or blame) Leffot for my current footwear sickness. Awesome shop. I stop by a few times a month. In addition to Alden they stock some great Japanese scotch that I sampled with Steven and some other customers.

9. shaunw

shaunw Well-Known Member

I agree, well stated

10. fiestaplatypus

fiestaplatypus Well-Known Member

Just for the record, I have not made any further comments regarding my situation to anyone. I'm sure Leffot is a fantastic retailer and a pleasure to do business with. That said, this was my first interaction with them and his has left a bit of a sour taste in my mouth. I wouldn't have thought anything other than what they stated, had I not seen my size available for sale on the site two days ago. If it was indeed a defective pair of shoes, I appreciate them looking out for their customers, I just wish they would have inspected all the pre-order pairs prior to putting any leftovers up for sale.

1 person likes this.
  11. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Well-Known Member

I bought the same size in both. Agreed the the Hampton is a little wider in terms of fit in the forefoot than the Aberdeen. Not sure if a C would have been better. I raised the idea to the salesman who measured my foot before bringing me the D, and he offered to get me a C to try on but was confident that I was a D. I didn't want to make him get the other pair because I was just there for sizing and was already planning on ordering two pairs online to avoid sales tax. (Don't worry, I didn't take any steps in the shoes so I didn't crease them)

I have no fit issues with the D, but understand where you are coming from, as I often wonder "would I have a better fit if I bought ___ size instead?"

12. rydenfan

rydenfan Well-Known Member

It is entirely possible they knew how many pairs they were receiving and put them up for sale. Then when they went to ship yours there was an issue. I guess I typically assume positive intent as opposed to negative

13. CalceoAdamator

LOL... You crease them, you buy them....LOL... Well, I'll let you know how I make out... I'm trying both widths...

14. CalceoAdamator

Good point, but I would consider Nick Horween to be a hands on CEO, with the business bread in his blood and he finds the time to post on many of the site blogs...? It just builds good will and doesn't take much effort...

15. phototristan

That does seem suspect. If you ordered shoes in your size and then were told they came in defective, why couldn't they have just supplied you with the other ones (that they had advertised for sale and available on their site)?

16. imolazhp_ci

imolazhp_ci Well-Known Member

i'm really glad to see the overwhelming majority of people in this thread coming to leffot's defense. i think every speciality alden retailer (leffot, leather soul) is very openly aware of alden's QC issues and does everything within their power as a vendor to rectify these instances. i've had defective pairs come from both retailers, and both without hesitation offer me well beyond what i would have expected to rectify the situation. buying aldens is similar to riding a motorcycle" "it's not if you drop your bike, it's when." same with aldens: it's not if you receive a defective pair, it's when.

17. phototristan

Nick Horween is not the CEO - http://horween.com/about/the-horween-name/

18. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Well-Known Member

Agreed in regards to Alden QC. It's a sad state of affairs when one expects their 740$ shoes to potentially have a defect. I've heard
    anecdotally that Edward Green's seconds rate is around 2%, it should be reasonable for Alden to attain a number close to this.

19. CalceoAdamator

H

He still runs his family business hands on... Bottom line, whether these CEO's are hands on or not, they have full calendars and lots to keep them busy, but some find or make the time to reach out on client forums... Just good sense to do so and builds good will for the product line...

20. Hill

Hill Well-Known Member

Let's see 'em gents! (the shoes...just the shoes)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.