• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As long as you're careful, I can't see how this could hurt.

Congrats, enjoy wearing them. I have a pair on order and am anxiously awaiting an expected Nov delivery.
Question--- I also am expecting delivery of some shell burgundy Dalton's soon. Both of these boots seem to have black sole edge dressing. Unionmade has a makeup of a #8 WT boot with antique edge dressing which I think looks stunning. So I was considering taking one of these pairs and sanding off the black dressing and applying some AE chili edge dressing. There have been some posts of how to do this.
The J Crew boots were my candidate since doing this, I think, makes the boots more casual. The Barrie last is chunkier looking than the AE Dalton silhouette so I'd keep the Dalton's as is for dressier wear. Opinions?

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I personally like the black edge trim better even for a casual boot in color 8, but that's just me. Looks like that process of sanding and changing the edge color works well. If I remember correctly though, you may need to have someone professionally change the color of the top of the edge as sanding only gets the side. You may also have an issue of "re-sealing" the edge. Good luck and show us some pics when you're done! That should make for an interesting look with the J Crew Cap toe boot.

sfactor23

Reaction score
Hello fellow Aldenians! This is my first post on SF so I figure I'll share some camera phone pics of my first pair of Alden's #8 LWB 8D with the antique edging. Sorry the picture quality is not great, and they are do for a good shine as I have only wore them a couple of times (still breaking them in). I picked them up online from The Bureau at Belfast - Merchants & Missionaries. http://www.thebureaubelfast.com/shop/brand/58/alden/ for approximately $850 after shipping and currency conversion ( I know it's a little pricey but I really wanted the antique edge trim from Alden. There are still a couple of sizes left too! I'm already shopping for my 2nd pair of Aldens, I'm hooked!! Looking at #8 or cigar cap toe boots, jumpers, or tankers (if I'm lucky enough!).

wear them in good health -
by the way, the Bureau's Kudu boots are really good, imho - they are my go-to boot

CTYGGG

Reaction score

Really like this makeup at Frans Boone.

93d9f67a4b79f85085fbe57197d32074.jpg

2bc6f0751f20ae3463c95bcd32010466.jpg

LS Ranger Shoe with some miles on 'em.

balmoralsoccer

Reaction score
Excellent results have been reported earlier in this thread with using an alcohol swab or similar to remove the edge finish--honestly seems easier than sanding to me. (Either way, you risk damaging the uppers, but only if you are careless.)

BootSpell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Excellent results have been reported earlier in this thread with using an alcohol swab or similar to remove the edge finish--honestly seems easier than sanding to me. (Either way, you risk damaging the uppers, but only if you are careless.)

I will definitely research the swab method because a previous post said the sanding took a lot of elbow grease. But I can imagine with the swab approach one needs to be really careful.

I personally like the black edge trim better even for a casual boot in color 8, but that's just me.  Looks like that process of sanding and changing the edge color works well.  If I remember correctly though, you may need to have someone professionally change the color of the top of the edge as sanding only gets the side.  You may also have an issue of "re-sealing" the edge.  Good luck and show us some pics when you're done!  That should make for an interesting look with the J Crew Cap toe boot.

You are right to bring up the top of the edging. I had planned to just leave the top as is and see if it bothered me before doing anything about it. Interestingly enough, the pics of the #8 LWB's a few posts back seem to have antique edging but with the top looking quite dark. But maybe that was just the picture.

Thanks to both of you for your input. I will post before and after pics.

neutrino

Reaction score

2nd journey of my cigar LWB from Alden SF. My first shells
inlove.gif

I'm seeing a slight whitening of the leather in creases. I heard about that sometime ago, but can't recall what that was about. Is it something normal, or should it be treated in some way?

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

2nd journey of my cigar LWB from Alden SF. My first shells :inlove:
I'm seeing a slight whitening of the leather in creases. I heard about that sometime ago, but can't recall what that was about. Is it something normal, or should it be treated in some way? 

wax just brush it away

violethour1951

Reaction score
2nd journey of my cigar LWB from Alden SF. My first shells
inlove.gif

Those look outstanding with the denim! Almost Ravello-toned
biggrin.gif
Enjoy!

mr chorizo

Reaction score

Chorizo-fied J. Crew #8 cap toes in the wild. APC petit standards and camp socks.
photo-13.jpg

Question--- I also am expecting delivery of some shell burgundy Dalton's soon. Both of these boots seem to have black sole edge dressing. Unionmade has a makeup of a #8 WT boot with antique edge dressing which I think looks stunning. So I was considering taking one of these pairs and sanding off the black dressing and applying some AE chili edge dressing. There have been some posts of how to do this.

The J Crew boots were my candidate since doing this, I think, makes the boots more casual. The Barrie last is chunkier looking than the AE Dalton silhouette so I'd keep the Dalton's as is for dressier wear. Opinions?

to the above wondering about changing edge trim/welt on the jcrew perf cap toe boots in #8, here are mine.

there is another pair on this forum somewhere that I think were executed even better...i thin it was a reverse welt and topy'd commando sole

Last edited:

BootSpell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was waiting at a gate at DFW, wearing my natty CXL Indy boots (modified last from Moulded Shoe) when a stranger comes up to me and asks where I got my boots. I thought he was one of us addicted ones but I don't think he even what Alden was. I have to say that of all my boots, these get the most looks. It might be just the contrast of the lighter colored boots against the dark denim. I'm hoping it's not because I somehow look funny!! :embar::embar:

BootSpell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

to the above wondering about changing edge trim/welt on the jcrew perf cap toe boots in #8, here are mine.
there is another pair on this forum somewhere that I think were executed even better...i thin it was a reverse welt and topy'd commando sole

Thanks for sharing your Chorizo-ized boots. Yes ideally, I'd send the boots as soon as I got them to B Nelson and have them replace the welting with antiqued edging, top included. I'd have to think whether I'd want split reverse welting.

However, I think I'm going to try to do what I can myself at the beginning. Did you do that work yourself? Even the top of the edging? Because it looks quite light.

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Funny - I'm thinking about making the edge trim on a pair of ravello chukkas darker...

ElDave

Reaction score

I was waiting at a gate at DFW, wearing my natty CXL Indy boots (modified last from Moulded Shoe) when a stranger comes up to me and asks where I got my boots. I thought he was one of us addicted ones but I don't think he even what Alden was. I have to say that of all my boots, these get the most looks. It might be just the contrast of the lighter colored boots against the dark denim. I'm hoping it's not because I somehow look funny!! :embar::embar:

I've gotten numerous strangers asking me about my lighter colored boots (405s and natural CXL cap toes). I think the quality is apparen and the lighter color looks more noticeable. Think - most lighter color boots are tan Timberland work boots or similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads