• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wigglr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Someone buy my 10.5D day trippers so I can buy these!
Three way trade if you will....help me out people!
PM sent w/ question! (And interest) :)

Chaos_Cow

Reaction score

Trying to decide between the J Crew #8 Cap Toe boot and the #8 Wingtip Boot (both with double leather sole).  Any thoughts? If it helps, I do have color LWB.

I have the wing boot and while it's obviously gorgeous, I sort of regret not going for cap toe instead now that I've shifted my style a bit. I suppose it depends on what you normally wear.

Papa Doble

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Trying to decide between the J Crew #8 Cap Toe boot and the #8 Wingtip Boot (both with double leather sole).  Any thoughts? If it helps, I do have color LWB.

If you have a #8 LWB and don't have a #8 cap toe blucher, I'd go for the #8 cap toe boot. If you choose the wingtips, just make sure you'll get enough use out of them. For cap toe boots, I might also throw in this one from TSM:

and this one from J. Gilbert:

ubiquiti

Reaction score
Just in from TSM, took a huge gamble on sizing since I didn't get to try them on in-person before purchase. Rather I went with word of mouth and got the same size as my barrie size.

As it turns out, these are the best fitting Aldens I have. Crease in the vamp is from trying on

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Personally, I would choose (and have chosen) the captoe. And a different post mentioned the captoe from TSM on the Grant (which I have) and the captoe from JGilbirt on the Plaza. Either of these captoe boots will have a slimmer presentation than the JCrew captoe on the Barrie; however, the JCrew boot is the only one of the 3 that has a perf tip (if that matters to you).

blue collar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just in from TSM, took a huge gamble on sizing since I didn't get to try them on in-person before purchase. Rather I went with word of mouth and got the same size as my barrie size.

As it turns out, these are the best fitting Aldens I have. Crease in the vamp is from trying on

Nice man. I'd have to agree that the Shell LHS on the Van is one of my favorite Aldens :slayer:

lagsun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Personally, I would choose (and have chosen) the captoe. And a different post mentioned the captoe from TSM on the Grant (which I have) and the captoe from JGilbirt on the Plaza. Either of these captoe boots will have a slimmer presentation than the JCrew captoe on the Barrie; however, the JCrew boot is the only one of the 3 that has a perf tip (if that matters to you).

Another option is Alden of DC's #8 captoe boot on the grant last with commando sole.

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Che's a she, folks (and very helpful)

dahl5yankees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I' new as of this year to Aldens. I have the 403 and 404 boots.
I picked up a pair of natural cxl plain toe boots this week that
are used, way more comfortable than my other two.

Is there a break in period? My other two pair are still pretty new.
The shoe tongue moves to the left and they feel pretty stiff. Not
the case with the used pair I just got.

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My brand new J Crew Alden Cap toe boots.

Loving them.

BootSpell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My brand new J Crew Alden Cap toe boots.
Loving them.

Congrats, enjoy wearing them. I have a pair on order and am anxiously awaiting an expected Nov delivery.

Question--- I also am expecting delivery of some shell burgundy Dalton's soon. Both of these boots seem to have black sole edge dressing. Unionmade has a makeup of a #8 WT boot with antique edge dressing which I think looks stunning. So I was considering taking one of these pairs and sanding off the black dressing and applying some AE chili edge dressing. There have been some posts of how to do this.

The J Crew boots were my candidate since doing this, I think, makes the boots more casual. The Barrie last is chunkier looking than the AE Dalton silhouette so I'd keep the Dalton's as is for dressier wear. Opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads