1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Countingsheep

Countingsheep Well-Known Member

No flash. Just indirect sunlight... Mine do seem to be abnormally light but I kind of like it.

2. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Well-Known Member

3. Countingsheep

Countingsheep Well-Known Member

Closer to that yes but still not quite that dark. Strangely...

I think sunlight exposure has a strong effect on the color of most shell

4. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Well-Known Member

Wow! Had the EXACT same thing happen to me (shoes included)! Congrats MickCollins and let's both wear in great health...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And yes, I do have to give a shout out to NRO as the sticker in the first pic indicates. While I waited a month for Alden to complete production and an extra day or two because NRO fumbled the delivery to UPS, I have to credit them with yes, excellent communication and CS. They returned every e-mail within 24 hrs (in reality about 12 hrs). And when they created a mix-up with UPS, they expedited my delivery (2 days) so I would have them before the weekend.

They originally printed a UPS label last Sat and sent me the tracking number. When I realized on Tuesday that the package still hadn't made it to the UPS station I e-mailed to inquire. On Wednesday morning they apologized for the confusion and said I would have my shoes by the end of the day Friday. Here I sit content as can be, watching the NCAA basketball tournament with my latest addition to my color 8 family!

While I am intrigued with the tassel moc and pleased with the 20% of I got from NRO's President's Day Sale, I'm wondering if these shoes will make me look 20 years older. On the other hand, these are an American classic created by Alden.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  5. CalceoAdamator

CalceoAdamator Well-Known Member

I have 4 Marlows, but I find them "thicker" than Alden... They are nice shoes but I also prefer the Alden shells... Probably why I have about 3 dozen... LOL... I'm an Alden'holic... It's probelematic at best...

6. CalceoAdamator

CalceoAdamator Well-Known Member

Per my earlier post, my Marlows are lighter than the cigar Alden... I guess shading can vary, based on some of the other posts...

7. Roguls

Roguls Well-Known Member

Agreed. If I could find these used for a good price, I'd snag them and re-sole them. they'd be perfect with a double leather sole w/ barbour welt.

8. Roguls

Roguls Well-Known Member

Blind eyelets are excellent on this Plaza boot. They should be used more often on boots imo.

9. rydenfan

rydenfan Well-Known Member

Count me in in the end of the week with new Alden club :)

Snuff suede PTB on the Barrie. Damn these things are comfortable...
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Well-Known Member

Brixton on Plaza = LS Cigar Plaza Boot (which I just put up pics a few posts ago)

11. BeSpiffington

BeSpiffington Well-Known Member

From the office of ridiculous redundancy:[​IMG][​IMG] Does anyone believe it's redundant to have both the Ravello LWB and the RL Marlow short wings?

12. zippyh

zippyh Well-Known Member

Some pics from about 2010.

Ravello x 3 and Whiskey x 2
    [​IMG]

#8, cigar, marlows, whiskey, ravello
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  13. sqroot3

sqroot3 Well-Known Member

certainly not. one's a longwing, the other's a shortwing. do it...

14. shaunw

shaunw Well-Known Member

I just noticed that theshoemart upped their price on cigar shell indys to $762....:embar:

15. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Well-Known Member

Weren't those already considered pricey before the increase?

Those were the ones everyone was commenting on a few months back, right?

Edit: Looks like they only have size 12 left.

16. MickCollins1916

MickCollins1916 Well-Known Member

Cheers, my friend! I dig the tassels....we have good taste. Glad you had what ended up being a good shopping experience too.

I had to wait for awhile for this pair in 8.5EEE and paid full freight, but no complaints. I had a less than thrilling experience with a purchase of some black shell tassels from Shoemart in January, but these ones seem like they're going to work out quite well. Alden DC is always a phenomenal shopping experience for me. They know how to treat customers.

17. shaunw

shaunw Well-Known Member

Not sure but it seems pretty high for a domestic makeup. Their #8 indys are up now too ($708)

18. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Well-Known Member

I think its the same. People were calling it "The most expensive indy boot every"

19. REguy

REguy Well-Known Member

You should buy a Powerball ticket, my friend. Every time I walk down Charles Street, I wonder how NRO manages to stay in business. I hope this marks a turning point in their customer service.

Amazing how random some customer experiences are. For instance, AoC tends to get a bad rap around here due to some of Adam's return and communication quirks. Yet, I've bought shoes from him since shortly after he opened, have had nothing but first rate service through today, and would highly recommend AoC to anyone. That said, I know my size and don't jerk him around.

I see he posted some pictures on the website from the early days which made me a little nostalgic. I bought my first pair of Aldens through him when I was fresh out of college and have owned a number of the special make-ups he did. Unfortunately, I let most of them go, so it's nice to see them again.

http://www.alden-of-carmel.com/the_alden_of_carmel_story.htm

P.S. I think I paid $285 for that first pair, and I thought I was bat shit crazy!

20. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Well-Known Member

any in the wild pics of ravello indys? trying to decide if I should grab a pair or just stay happy with my day trippers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.