1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Numbernine

Numbernine Well-Known Member

My wife was watching me put on my color 8 captoe boots this morning and commented that I didn't " have any boots in that caramel color". Crap !! this is a really bad time for a shell shortage

2. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Well-Known Member

Ravello and raw denim:
    [​IMG]

I'd say keep the Ravello. #8 will be out there for you and perhaps even at a discount in some way or another if you are patient and willing to pick up the standard black welt (which is really pretty good looking on #8 IMO). Enjoy the chukkas.

Also, my 2 cents on the shell shortage. It may be six of one and half dozen of another, but I think there's really only a shortage of exotic shell when viewed from the perspective of Alden's volume needs. Makers doing smaller runs seem to have access to many colors of shell frequently enough (I'm thinking of Rancourt, Carmina, and Vass just off the top of my head... and I don't mean to equate any of these shoemakers or to suggest that one brand is a replacement for another, just that you can order shoes or boots in exotic shell colors from them fairly reliably).

What I think we are really seeing is a shortage of enough exotic shell to make it worthwhile for Alden to produce. They clearly aren't interested in making one, two, or even half a dozen shoes at a time. And they clearly must have some serious fixed costs to cover that require them to make anything in volume for it to be worth the effort.

As I said, this really is neither here nor there if what you really want is Ravello or Whiskey or Cigar shell (and when spending the kind of money we're talking about on shoes, it's best to get what you really want). On the other hand, if you want shell in different colors and you are interested in other shoemakers, then I don't think things are quite as dire as the Alden market makes them appear.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
  3. david3558

david3558 Well-Known Member

Ravello for sureeeee. I wish my SWB had fit me much better.

4. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Well-Known Member

Both go very well with denim although I'd lean towards the #8 with dark denim. However with that said I'd keep the ravello. You situation may change in the future and you would be much more likely to pick up another pair of 8s vs the ravello which may not be available for who knows when. Just my.02

5. BIG WONG

BIG WONG Well-Known Member

Looks like Alden SF did so as well, but they forgot to take down the Whiskey and Cigar LHS.

6. rydenfan

rydenfan Well-Known Member

Bad lighting but

Ravello and raw
    [​IMG]

#8 and raw
    [​IMG]

7. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Well-Known Member

I think you are referring to my post. The shoes were not already laced up, but you could see the subtle indentations on the tongue created by someone lacing and tying the laces. It wasn't a big deal because that's what it looks like after the first time you lace and tie. I almost always receive my new ones the way you described. The one time I did not was with my whiskey wingtip bal oxfords. The laces were separate in the box which makes sense because the effort required to lace those bals might have created creases right off the bat.

8. BeSpiffington

BeSpiffington Well-Known Member

Finally received my exchanged J Crew cap toe boots. Had to go +.5 to my TTS of 11.5. [​IMG]Marcoliani argyles OTC

1 person likes this.
  9. david3558

Beautiful, why did you have to size up from your LWB Barrie size? As in, where did it feel too tight?

10. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Well-Known Member

Alden SF kept up the whiskey shortwing bal too.

11. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Well-Known Member

^But they don't show photos of them. You have to know to click on a given style, or do so accidentally, to see if exotic shell stock is available. I had definitely noticed that Whiskey, Cigar, and Ravello disappeared from AoC and Alden Madison sites awhile ago. Interesting to find out why.

12. sevenfoldtieguy

Then get some in that caramel color and make her happy. :D

13. sevenfoldtieguy

For Alden SF, just run a search for whiskey in the keyword search box and it will pull up whiskey models that are available, but no pics. Same for cigar. Same for ravello.

14. sevenfoldtieguy

Use saphir shell cordovan cream in burgundy ("cordovan" color, as they say) and they will remain dark.

15. BeSpiffington

BeSpiffington Well-Known Member

Thanks david. They seem even nicer than the size 11 mediums I originally ordered. Probably because these actually fit. I think that's just the nature of Alden shell, no two pair are alike. Kind of like snowflakes my girlfriend says. The first pair I received were too short and to narrow. I believe anybody who's ever tried lace-up boots knows that how a boot flexes is an indication of whether or not its a proper fit. Looking forward to wearing the bejesus out of these boots. Maybe then I'll go for a commando sole with an antique edge trimming like mr chorizo.

16. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Well-Known Member

Wasn't this always the case though? All pics are of Color 8?

17. david3558

Yeah I totally regret returning my pair - I got them 2 years ago and had buyer's remorse because it was so damn much. And that was before all the price hikes - I think they were only $590 and I got 25% off via J.Crew coupon...

That's what actually bugs me about Alden's consistency though - I had the Barrie SWB in Ravello and was extremely disappointed that the fit was very off. Recently, I decide to give the Barrie a try again and all the LWB's I've been trying on have been spot on. It's really frustrating -_-

18. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Well-Known Member

Sizing Paranoia Question:

I'm 9C Van/Barrie, 9D Aberdeen/Hampton.

US 9.5D Gucci/Tod's

I typically buy 10D New Balances, but am wondering if I should get my next pairs 9.5D.

The 10Ds don't feel to big, and there is a little room in front of my big toe, but not excessive. (Maybe 1/4 inch)

It just seems weird that my NB size would be a full size up from all of my Alden sizes, and that I'm normally 9.5 in all other shoes.

Can anyone that wears New Balances comment on my predicament or share their sizing experience?

TIA

19. alex4nder

alex4nder Well-Known Member

Be careful with this. I sent back a pair of 403s that I bought from LS, which had a bad stitch in the upper. Alden ended up just cutting the loose thread, and running a new stitch through the outer leather and inner lining. Those boots were beat up, so I wasn't heart broken, but I would have been pissed if they had treated some cordovan in the same way.

20. piercef0rmvp

piercef0rmvp Member

Hey guys new to the forum and just got my first pair of Aldens!

The pair I got is second hand and the rubber dovetails on the heel are a bit worn down.

Is it possible for a local cobbler to replace these without replacing the entire heel? I'm new to the game and was hoping you veterans could help me out. Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.