1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Well-Known Member

There is more attention to detail. When they are on sale (every year), they are cheaper than Aldens. They are more readily available. Also, you can return them easily if they don't fit you well.

2. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Well-Known Member

- dbl -

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  3. BeSpiffington

BeSpiffington Well-Known Member

Papa Doble, your acknowledgments of my meager style attempts are greatly appreciated.

4. mikeharo

mikeharo Well-Known Member

Love my marlows but the shell is definitely drier than alden's for some reason.....

5. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Well-Known Member

1) The construction seems superior to me. I've worn it pretty heavily for over two years, no loose threading, the sole is wearing extremely hard, easy to maintain, etc
    2) The last is slightly sleeker than Barrie - it is very versatile and can be worn with a suit or jeans.
    3) The shoe goes on sale a few times a year
    4) Great color that is not necessarily found in the standard Alden lineup
    5) Wingtip / "shortwing" blucher pattern - Alden doesn't stock this pattern that often

The one downside is that Marlow cordovan is more difficult to shine than Alden - Alden seems to infuse its shell with more dye/oils.

6. phototristan

phototristan Well-Known Member

Yeah, I don't think I would pay the full retail on them. I got mine for five hundred something on sale. Totally worth it at that price.

And yes, the color is great. It's sort of in between Ravello and Cigar and I think can take the place of both if you are on a shoe budget like I am, having recently purchased my first home. I feel like with the Marlows, I literally don't need Ravello or Cigar wingtips now.

In fact, I had some Alden Ravello LWBs, and sold them after I got the Marlows.

7. dslonghorn4

dslonghorn4 Well-Known Member

Spectacular Sazon!

8. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Well-Known Member

Could you post a screen capture of where the corporate code is supposed to show up on your profile page? I have created multiple accounts to troubleshoot, called Brooks Brothers multiple times, and still can't figure out why I don't see the discount at the final page before you submit your order. The items in my cart (for testing purposes) are not on sale. The BB customer service people have been useless to resolve this.

EDIT: I figured it out. Like zippyh said, if you go to MY ADDRESSES, your corporate card number should appear, and you need to make this your default address.

9. stanford88

stanford88 Well-Known Member

Regarding the BB cordovan sale, it seems that the sizes are quite limited on the website. Would it be better to call them?

10. dslonghorn4

Not worth paying the full $850 IMO. The Marlows typically go on sale 1x-2x per year. I picked mine up a few months back 30% off. Everyone's experience is different but my pair has an extremely dull finish compared to my Alden and AE shells. Nonetheless, its a great shoe; very versatile.

11. dslonghorn4

Ravello cap toe boots and APC new standards at the airport today. These are my favorite shells in my humble collection.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  12. Papa Doble

It's been said before, but these go on sale twice a year, so I consider their price to be more like $505 + tax (30% + 15% off of $850). I wouldn't pay $850, but I think they're worth the sale price.

The loafer Marlows can be had for $339 via this thread.

13. shaunw

shaunw Well-Known Member

Good grief, I'm in the same boat only I can't figure it out to save my life. I have a corporate member number received by email and I can probably call in an order and get the disc. but I can't get anything to show on the website login. can you give me a tutorial?

14. Papa Doble

I think the ultimate test is to (1) click MY ACCOUNT on the top of the BB webpage, (2) click Address Book under MY SETTINGS on the left, and (3) see if there is an address titled "CXXXXXXXXXXXX" ("C" followed by your corporate account number). (EDIT: If you see this address, ensure it is the default address.) If you do not see this, you don't have your corporate account linked with your BB webpage account, and you will have to start from scratch and create a new BB webpage account. To do this, log out of your account and click REGISTER at the top of the page. I think the zip code you enter when you register must match the zip code associated with your corporate account. Once you've done this, go back to the beginning of this paragraph and hopefully you'll see your corporate account number as one of the addresses. if so, make sure it's the default address. If not, I don't think I know the next troubleshooting step.

I might type up a tutorial of how to get a corporate account if you don't work at a company that participates. I did this through Corporate Perks, though it was a while ago, so I don't recall the steps. I could probably figure it out and report back.

15. El Argentino

El Argentino Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Alden x JGilbert #8 Captoes, Plaza, Commando.

Continuing to play w/ phone-based photo processing.

1 person likes this.
  16. shaunw

shaunw Well-Known Member

dang you are awesome! I'm all set now. I think the problem was that I had a member acct and a corporate acct and the member acct was my default. All set thanks!!

17. Papa Doble

Excellent. I edited my post to remind people to make sure that their corporate account number address is the default address.

18. Papa Doble

(I hope this doesn't offend anyone, but...)

Those boots would make a nun get on her knees.

1 person likes this.
  19. Roguls

Roguls Well-Known Member

This.

Commando sole is over-rated. Just topy if you're that worried. I like to simply add toe taps. Leather soles, when broken in, give great traction.

20. Roguls

Roguls Well-Known Member

I am truly digging your compositions. Nice shoes, too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.