1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Well-Known Member

Thank you for clearing this up for me, gentlemen.

2. 2doubleu

2doubleu Well-Known Member

Really wish I jumped on these earlier... amazing what a good photo can do!

3. 925

925 Well-Known Member

got my cigar indy from SF
    glad they came with oiled sole instead of Neo-Cork

[​IMG]

and btw is there any chance i can get a pair of ravello boots in sz 7E (or 7.5 D)?
    either straight captoe, nst or ptb can do

4. Todd V

Todd V Well-Known Member

I agree. The Tremont and single leather sole makes it much more "dressy" to me. But, the question is will I wear it to the office with a suit given the antique trim. I would just give in and go with the RL Marlow, but I've heard that is more on the "blobby" side of things. Is that true?

5. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Well-Known Member

Marlow.
    http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/...819&origkw=marlow&kw=marlow&parentPage=search

You'll have to judge for yourself. "Blobbiness" is relative.

I personally have a difficult time wearing antique trimmed shoes with a suit. Others do it. I am fine with that. If the welt is darkened (which I have had done), then it is more doable IMO.

I have no problem wearing the Marlow with a suit.

6. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Well-Known Member

The shell indys on Alden SF's website do not come with the specs as listed. The specs as listed are for the other Indys shown. Always best to ask before ordering. Their currently offered Indy in color 8 comes on the barrie last with double waterloc soles, neither of which is mentioned on the website.

7. neutrino

neutrino Well-Known Member

I'm not an expert by any means, but I have never seen a shell indy made up on a neo-cork sole.

8. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Well-Known Member

The Marlow is a very interesting shoe - it is very heavy and thick and pretty wide fitting, which you would think would create a blobby shoe. However, the toebox tapers, which gives it more of a formal shape. Overall Marlows seem a lot less "blobby" than Barrie lasted longwings. They are closer to the Tremont IMO.

9. dusttruffle

dusttruffle Well-Known Member

same. would be interested in how common they are.

10. phototristan

phototristan Well-Known Member

I dig mine:

[​IMG]

and: http://instagram.com/p/MN93qCODuy/

The build quality is even better than Aldens (sacrilege!). I like them about the same as my Aldens.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  11. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Well-Known Member

Awesome.

1 person likes this.
  12. phorm

phorm Well-Known Member

RL Marlow is definitely on the chunky side with its double leather sole, but it's wearable with a suit and the heavier profile makes it easier to wear with jeans in a more casual style. Marlow is less "blobby" in my eyes than Barrie.

13. Numbernine

Numbernine Well-Known Member

Ive always liked this shoe it's made by c&j right? Do they source their shell from horween?

14. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Well-Known Member

Your best bet for finding a ravello boot in one of those sizes will be to find somebody doing a pre-order for them and waiting a year or two... or three. I wear similar sizes and have had no luck finding such a boot in stock anywhere for quite a while now (but I haven't really been trying all that hard). You might want to call a retailer like The Shoe Mart or one of the Alden specific stores and ask if they know of anything in the specs you are looking for coming down the pipeline and if you can be notified when they come in or place a deposit. Good luck!

15. Alcibiades

If you don't mind chukka boots, I think those sizes are restocked somewat regularly by Alden NYC and The Shoe mart

16. Alcibiades

Yes - Horween shell, manufactured by C&J

17. phorm

phorm Well-Known Member

C&J does source their shell from Horween. I haven't visually verified my Marlow bluchers or loafers, but my two pairs of unlined C&J Harvard loafers both have the Horween stamp visible on the inside of the shoe.

18. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Well-Known Member

I just received my Atoms yesterday and will break them in over the weekend. They do definitely look a bit more sleek than any of the similar shoes I have on the Barrie last. I'm anxious to have a chance to wear them.

19. phototristan

phototristan Well-Known Member

You wouldn't be able to see a "Horween" stamp on the Marlows because they are lined, even the tongue.

20. BeSpiffington

BeSpiffington Well-Known Member

Risking even more sacrilege and the eternal rath of the high priests of the holy Alden faith what is it specifically about the Ralph Lauren cordovan wingtip that inspires even the most avid of shell admirers? I've only seen the shoes on someone else's feet. I own some Alden LWB's so I'm wondering what differences in build quality between the two shoes are people referring to? Are they worth the extra Benjamin and change more than some Alden cigar LWB's? And, at 850 bones that's only a half step away from a "G". If a guys cool with paying close to a $1K for one pair of shoes, and he doesn't have some kind of restrictive medical condition, why not go all the way and get made to order. Just axing a question.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.