1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roguls

Roguls Well-Known Member

2. sazon

sazon Well-Known Member

Two shots of one of my favorite pair of Aldens that don’t get enough wear: Ravello PTBs.
    First shot is near a window with natural light coming through. Second shot is with minimal natural light.

Two hours after this picture I got caught outside in the rain and got some water welts. For some reason this pair gets the welts quite easily.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  3. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Well-Known Member

If anyone's interested, eBay/PayPal ruled in the buyer's favor, despite the following evidence. Note that the listing was titled "Alden for Brooks Brothers", claimed only that Alden manufactured the shoes, and the pictures clearly showed only "Brooks Brothers" on the insole.

1. An email from Alden SF confirming that they make the shoe.
    2. An email from the Alden factory confirming that they make the shoe.
    3. This video of Kathy from Alden DC, where at 44 seconds she explains that BB sells Alden shoes without Alden branding.
    4. The Q&A section for this Alden for BB shoe, where someone asks "Who makes these shoes?" and BB answers "The manufacturer is Alden for Brooks Brothers."

Perhaps I should've put a disclaimer such as "While Alden makes these shoes, there is no Alden branding on them." But, it took PayPal less than 2 hours to make a ruling, and they never followed up with me, so I'm not convinced that it would have made a difference.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
  4. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Well-Known Member

I'm usually a proponent of the crepe sole, but I think I have the same reaction when I see it on an Indy boot. It just seems so out of place there to me.

After checking out the Unionmade site though, I do like their new Alpine grain NST boot. I regretted selling my Alpine grain wingtip boots almost immediately and these could be a serviceable replacement.

5. Don L

Don L Well-Known Member

Black Calf NST and Argyle OTC
    [​IMG]

6. trig

trig Well-Known Member

unfortunate news sir! that's why it stinks to sell on ebay nowadays as paypal and ebay care more about buyers than they do sellers.

7. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Well-Known Member

Also one of my favorite pairs that doesn't see enough wear.

:fistbump:

1 person likes this.
  8. BeSpiffington

BeSpiffington Well-Known Member

sazon, those are really nice looking PTB's. With the Ravello colour I can appreciate the beauty of their simple lines and construction, something which is to me less obvious on the #8's.

9. turkey_sandwich

turkey_sandwich Well-Known Member

Burton, others:
    Is replacing the leather soles on my Officer Indys with a commando soles something that requires a really good cobbler? I contacted Alden and they refuse to do the work. I love these shoes and if anything happened to them I would be pretty upset. Is sending to B. Nelson the best option or does anyone know of a good cobbler in Chicago?
    Thanks!

10. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Well-Known Member

This is something that most any capable cobbler should be able to do. I imagine somebody here will know of somebody in Chicagoland to refer you to. But, judging by the reasonable prices I've seen posted for B. Nelson's work, and the fact that we are pretty confident in that shops capabilities, the peace of mind might worth the added cost of postage to send them to NYC.

11. sevenfoldtieguy

In legal speak, it sounds as if the ruling was arbitrary and capricious. Unfortunate ....

12. sevenfoldtieguy

Postage is paid for various options one can select. Check their website.

13. blue collar

blue collar Well-Known Member

3000 pages! Woot! :slayer:

14. Dbear

Dbear Well-Known Member

^ wrong setting bruh

15. turkey_sandwich

turkey_sandwich Well-Known Member

Thanks MI planner and sevenfold. I think I may pony up and send them off to B Nelson. I've had minor work done in Chicago but I haven't had anything major done nor read rave reviews of anyone here in particular.

16. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Well-Known Member

Agreed, I recommend setting your preferences to 100 posts per page.

17. DCRoyal

DCRoyal Active Member

I own this model from TSM. I can confirm it is a double waterloc. And it's a great shoe. Was beating myself up for not getting in on the LS version however long ago and then the same thing popped up on TSM.

The double waterloc is getting a lot of play lately. And people like to tell you you can't topy it, but you absolutely can.

18. stanford88

stanford88 Well-Known Member

You guys make me feet better about my 7 in a year in a half.

19. dusttruffle

dusttruffle Well-Known Member

I imagine it is very similar to the sole used on Wolverine 1k boots. The fact it is oil filled does make it difficult to topy. It took me three attempts, only on the last attempt did the cobbler say he used "double the glue" (whatever that meant). Luckily the topys were of a "lifetime guarantee" variety (which as far as I could tell was a way to get £5 extra for it) turned out to be worthwhile as they started to peel off twice in the space of a month - and each time were replaced with as new. I don't know if it made a difference but there were applied to the sole when brand new. Perhaps if the sole has been allowed to get more scuffed up it might have been different (although the cobbler did sand the surface).

20. DCRoyal

DCRoyal Active Member

interesting. I have had three pairs done and not one word from the cobbler. And he would have absolutely let me know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.