1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. closerlook

closerlook Well-Known Member

RE the tanker vs lwb width question:

theoretically it shouldn't, but i had a pair of the leffot tankers that were quite narrow compared to gunboat lwb.
    there are tons of quirks with aldens, and I have noticed repeatedly that if the shoe does not have the storm welt and its on the barrie, the makers tend to pull the upper tighter around the last resulting in a snugger fit. some may disagree, but I've seen it happen over and over.

just my 2c.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  2. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Well-Known Member

3. herrmj

herrmj Well-Known Member

PSA/reminder: brooks brothers doing $100 off $500 (200 of 800) right now, works on aldens, ends tomorrow. Get that unlined lhs hookup!

4. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Well-Known Member

Crepe soles work well on the Context Roy boots and various suede options (chukka boots, "Milkshake" Indy boots, etc)

5. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Well-Known Member

My Leffot tankers are definitely a bit more narrow than similar sized Longwings. However, given all are in E widths, I can wear them all comfortably.

6. alex4nder

alex4nder Well-Known Member

This has been my experience. I have three 9.5D Barries: the LWB is spacious, the Brixton short-wing boot is more narrow but manageable, and the new Leffot Tanker is narrow enough that I'm crossing my fingers and hoping they get more comfortable with time. All of these shoes were purchased in the last 6 months, the LWB and Brixton are both on double-leather soles.

7. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Well-Known Member

thats what I'm leaning towards..

thanks for the feedback [​IMG]

8. aldenfan

aldenfan Well-Known Member

I'm looking for some advice on what is "normal" for cordovan leather shoe finishing and quality. I ordered some #8 cordovan boots from Shoemart. One of the boots that arrived appears to have a pretty serious wrinkle on the top part of the boot. Is this normal? Should I send it back? Would this be considered a factory second?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also, both boots have some pits or wrinkles in the sides of the toes - they aren't smooth. One of them looks like this:

[​IMG]

Definitely not as well finished or flawless to me as the #8 cordovan cap toe from J Crew that just arrived today. Would these be considered defects or is this expected?

Any input greatly appreciated.

9. geoffmartin17

geoffmartin17 Well-Known Member

Very nice

10. Dr. D

Dr. D Well-Known Member

Next Thursday (March 14) is Brooks corporate discount day, 30% off if you have a discount card. As usual their flyer says cordovan is excluded, but if you load a pair in your cart before the sale starts then they will most likely be there when the 30% off sale starts and the corodovan section of the website magically disappears, as it seems to do every time they have a big sale. I have personal experience using this technique and used it last fall to drop the price of some LHS to $455.

I also noticed that Brooks has added a few more Aldens this season:
    snuff tassels
    http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Suede...var_MH00249_Color=BRWN&contentpos=4&cgid=0522

cxl tassels
    http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Calfs...ar_MH00248_Color=KHAK&contentpos=50&cgid=0522

chocolate brown tassels
    http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Brown...wvar_035H_Color=BRWN&contentpos=200&cgid=0522

1 person likes this.
  11. stevent

stevent Well-Known Member

Was about to post this, and you can always call their online 800 number and they will give you 30%

1 person likes this.
  12. elvi679

elvi679 Well-Known Member

13. shaunw

shaunw Well-Known Member

14. MrDV

MrDV Well-Known Member

cigar lwb

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  15. BeSpiffington

BeSpiffington Well-Known Member

The more I see of the cigar LWB the more I'd like to get a pair. Very nice gunboats sir!

Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
  16. docalden2013

docalden2013 Well-Known Member

Hi Be,

FYI - I have cigar lwb's on the way from Alden of Carmel. Adam says he has a few more in stock in various sizes, but isn't for some reason updating his website to reflect his stock. Check in with him!

17. BeSpiffington

BeSpiffington Well-Known Member

Thanks for the heads-up on the AoC cigar LWB. I'll give Adam a jingle. For some reason I've been hungry for shell boots of late.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
  18. Michael Haines

Michael Haines Well-Known Member

I can't find there number on the web site and I am sorry if it has already been posted but could I get it again

19. Dr. D

Dr. D Well-Known Member

Alden of Carmel is an email only operation. I have found Adam to be very to-the-point: if you know your size then get right to business. If you aren't sure about fit or haven't tried a particular last on before he will flat out tell you to shop elsewhere until you have nailed down sizing because he doesn't want to deal with returns. He doesn't seem to work well with tire-kickers or people that want to be able to do try things on and then return for another size later - he only gives store credit for returns and they have to be absolutely perfect and non-creased to return. He has a reputation here and at AAAC as being hard to deal with but I think he's just no-nonsense.

On the other hand, by all accounts he is meticulous - he has been known to go through his inventory and remove pairs with even the slightest imperfections, whereas Alden is happy to sell those as first quality. If you buy firsts from Adam then you can rest assured you have gone through a much more stringent QC process than the one done by Alden in MA.

1 person likes this.
  20. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Well-Known Member

Debating those Brown Tassels. Not sure I would wear them much. Do suede Aldens last as long as Shell? (Like 20+ years)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.