• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Maiden voyage on these. Really looking forward to these developing a good patina over time.

Those are handsome.

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Believe it or not, Barrie. 10D. Essentially the same size as my grant lasted cigar captoe boots in 10E.

That's what I was thinking. The toe box was not shaped like the Grant and the stock Grant boot has all eyelets (IIRC). Wear in good health!

Contemplating between the Leffot NST, Context NST, and Alden SF Indy for my #8 boot... Really like the Leffot's contrasting natural sole juxtapose the #8 shell. However, concerned this might just be a novelty and might not be practical because of the contrast.

Last edited:

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Believe it or not, Barrie. 10D. Essentially the same size as my grant lasted cigar captoe boots in 10E.

I have Barrie lasted shoes with (1) storm welt/double leather soles, (2) no storm welt/double leather soles, and (3) no storm welt/single leather soles. The latter two categories give off a much sleeker presentation.

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Frank, not sure if you have platinum or something else at the high end that may not have foreign transaction fees. What Amex typically does (and holds true for Gold cards, Blue, etc) and it is very suspect is that they subsume the fees into your exchange rate, so Amex's exchange rate is poor compared to some other cards that explicitly state that there are no foreign transaction fees, like Capital One Venture, Chase Sapphire Preferred, etc.
Amex and the other credit card companies were subject to a big antitrust case about this very issue, as they were screwing consumers. But I guess we should expect it.

That's interesting and sounds vaguely familiar. I checked Google for the conversion rate before I bought to get an idea of what the pricing was in $. On Tuesday it as around $1.238/EUR and the conversion on my Amex statement does work out to be right around there.

Definitely something to pay attention to when buying in other currencies.

neutrino

Reaction score
Guys, now that I'll be receiving my first cordovan shoes soon (
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
), I'm wondering what I should order to go with it for the nearest future - I don't need anything apart from a brush and a cloth for the Mac method, no? I guess I would also need some reno after a while.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Guys, now that I'll be receiving my first cordovan shoes soon (
icon_gu_b_slayer%5B1%5D.gif
), I'm wondering what I should order to go with it for the nearest future - I don't need anything apart from a brush and a cloth for the Mac method, no? I guess I would also need some reno after a while.

brush
cloth
at least one of the following:
Alden paste wax
Saphir Reno
Saphir Shell Cordovan Cream
Venetian Cream

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Platinum AMEX does not charge a currency conversion fee. This is a recent benefit as AMEX used to charge about 5% on top of the daily exchange rate. Hence, I used my Mastercard when abroad which only charged a 3% currency conversion. The Platinum and I assume Black AMEX only charge the daily or average exchange rate (something like that but the point being there's no surcharge or fees hidden in the exchange rate that I can tell).

I also recommend checking the market rate prior to using PayPal, credit card, etc. And while we're on the topic, these currency conversion fees are chump change compared to what the money changers at the airport and tourist areas charge. I've seen exchange rates listed at as much as a 16% premium to the market rate and they charge a flat fee service charge on top of that. Avoid money changers whenever possible. Compared to this, a 3% conversion fee on your credit card isn't bad. You can also order foreign currency from your bank for a modest charge, but you have to do it in advance. I've also had good luck using foreign ATM machines. The cash is deducted from my US account, and the bank charges me about 3% for the conversion.

Best of luck.

I have a pair of the #8 parajumper boots inbound right now, due to arrive tomorrow by UPS. Ordered these on Tuesday of this week. So that part of the transaction looks to be very satisfactory. I'll try to post about the condition on arrival.
I hope I guessed right about Grant last sizing. Otherwise, I may be able to tell you about returns as well.
smile.gif

Pricing in $ wasn't too far off what Leffot just asked for a #8 special makeup boot.
Also, and you may already know all this, but I thought about using PayPal for the transaction and maybe I misread something, but it seems as if it wanted to convert at $1.2785 to the EUR. That seemed off to me, so I was brave and used a credit card through Frans Boone's site and I think I came out about 3% to the better. Make sure you don't use a card that charges a currency conversion fee, of course.

Frank, would Amex be excluded from the currency conversion rate? How can I tell? I 'm glad I read this before doing Paypal.

I did use Amex. Don't know if all their various cards are fee free, but one I have is.
Discover doesn't charge a fee as far as I know (if FB takes that). Some Visa/MC issues don't either. Probably best to Google or give the issuer a call.
A few percentage points more on a purchase of this amount is certainly unpleasant when it's also avoidable.

Frank, not sure if you have platinum or something else at the high end that may not have foreign transaction fees. What Amex typically does (and holds true for Gold cards, Blue, etc) and it is very suspect is that they subsume the fees into your exchange rate, so Amex's exchange rate is poor compared to some other cards that explicitly state that there are no foreign transaction fees, like Capital One Venture, Chase Sapphire Preferred, etc.
Amex and the other credit card companies were subject to a big antitrust case about this very issue, as they were screwing consumers. But I guess we should expect it.

That's interesting and sounds vaguely familiar. I checked Google for the conversion rate before I bought to get an idea of what the pricing was in $. On Tuesday it as around $1.238/EUR and the conversion on my Amex statement does work out to be right around there.
Definitely something to pay attention to when buying in other currencies.

Kashiwa

Reaction score
^^ Lots of nice boots at J. Gilbert, but they seem to have dispensed with ordering anything over 11. Unfortunate.

zazaza

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^^ Lots of nice boots at J. Gilbert, but they seem to have dispensed with ordering anything over 11. Unfortunate.

very unfortunate.
seeing this, as well as a lot of the J crew limited make-ups not being ordered above 11, tells me that a disturbing new trend is coming...

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The trend that size 11+ doesn't sell well? I don't think this is new.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads